1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Diablo 3 Discussion

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Mindless, Jun 28, 2008.

1. Mindless

Mindless Big Boss DLP Supporter

2. Jamven

Jamven Headmaster DLP Supporter

The faq section seems to load up faster for me...
    http://www.blizzard.com/diablo3/faq/

A new class called "Witch Doctor" was unveiled today as well as a returning revamped Barbarian class.

Can you give an overview of Diablo III's storyline?

It has been twenty years since the events of Diablo II. Of those who faced the Lords of Hatred, Terror, and Destruction in the battle over the fate of Sanctuary, there are few still living who can bear to remember the horrors that the Prime Evils wrought upon the world. And of those who did not witness the terrible events firsthand, most believe the stories to be little more than myth. But something evil is stirring once again in Tristram, and it may already have claimed its first victim: Deckard Cain.

3. Kai Shek

Kai Shek Supreme Mugwump

Happy happy joy joy.

4. MofoNofo

MofoNofo Seventh Year

Oh. Cool.

Do want?

5. Krogan

Krogan Alien in a Hat ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    This looks awesome but I can't help think that this is going to be another one of those games from Blizzard that gets announced for release and then actually released 3 years later.

6. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I killed the cinematic trailer about 15-20 seconds in. It was the same old "darkness is coming, are you prepared?" bullshit I've heard dozens of times.

OTOH, the gameplay footage looks awesome. It was about 10 to 20 minutes long. The barbarian was one mean muthafucka with a bunch of powerful attacks. I wasn't that impressed by the witch doctor class tho. I think it's gonna be a lot of fun to play.

7. Gizmore

Gizmore Minister of Swedish Affairs DLP Supporter

This is win. It's probably a year or two before it hits the stores though. :(

8. Solomon

Solomon Heir

Heh, I've been waiting for this game for fucking forever, and from what I can tell from the gameplay videos, this game is going way above my expectations.

9. LogrusMage

LogrusMage Supreme Mugwump

Meh... I was unimpressed with 2. Good system, but in the end, it was still just clicking until your wrists hurt.

I'll probably try it out still...

10. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

World fail to describe my massive disappointment.

Take Hellgate's graphics, and it's random generated 3d levels, make the levels 10 times bigger, and THAT is fucking what D3 should be. NOT the same old top down/iso view bullshit. Take their gameplay vid, add in 3rd person view, and it'd be better if their detail scales right.

The gameplay video looks like a slightly reskinned D2, with higher res textures. With Blizzard's resources they're getting from WoW, they should of done better... What the fuck, I just went and looked over SC 2 also, it's goddamned WC3 reskinned?!?!

WTF are those idiots doing with all the cash they're getting? As for the folks I know will be all over Blizzard's balls, stfufanboiskthx.

And Cain's still alive>?!

Last edited: Jun 29, 2008
  11. Richard

Richard Supreme Mugwump

I'd imagine Cain still being alive. lol Can't have Diablo without Cain!

Ya, I heard SC2 is just a WC3 reskinned. I hated WC3, bullshit game. And now Blizzard's ruining SC with WC3? They've been going down the toilet since their original team left the company. They're just being lazy fuckheads now, like most companies. Idiots.

12. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

I'd rather the traditional view. It'd just feel too much like World of Warcraft like that.

As for everything else, it looks fine. I judge a game on how fun it is to play, not how powerful your computer needs to be to play it.

13. Kai Shek

Kai Shek Supreme Mugwump

I think there perfering to make games that not only the best computer can run Mid. They get more money if there audience can be spread to everyone with even a half decent computer. They are not looking to have there customers pay for a $200 video card upgrade before they can even play the game.

I think I would perfer these graphics myself, it has a unique Diablo kind of quality to it that other games have tried to copy, but have failed. Anything else just wouldn't look right.

14. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

That's BS. Diablo doesnt look cartoonish like WoW does.

Games can scale their graphics up or down so easily nowadays that argument's just not valid. I can play WoW on my ancient PC just fine, but to max it out I need one that was build with good stuff from like 2 years ago. Crysis is hailed as one of the most graphically demanding games made to date, I can max it on mine, but for it to still look incredible I can run it on my mom's CELERON 2.0ghz, with a Nvidia 6800 card, that I build hell, I dunno like 2004, on lowest settings.

Hellgate's graphics comment didn't really mean anything other then the 3rd world, detailed to hell really. Diablo's graphics on the trailer were good, detailed zoomed out. But do something like Witcher. Zoomed out, over the shoulder a bit, mass hordes of things rushing you. Diablo sadly, I never got scared by the monsters, or threatened, I guess you'd say, because most of them are little tiny moving freaking sprites that you can't see much detail in zoomed way the hell out.

If you were to take their models, and yank em out of the game and zoom in, you'd see the detail is already there, so why the hell would you want to play something were you're saving the world from something this size?
    [​IMG]

I prefer feeling in danger, or anxious
    http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y245/Midknight00711/Hellgate/Zombiebumrush.jpg
    If something like that rushed you in Diablo, it'd be a bunch of jumbled together sprites, you wouldn't have time to really appreciate them at all, b/c it'd be a wanton button smashing. Titan Quest had a better idea, where they did the same stuff as D2, but the sprites, especially for the boss battles were bigger, so there was actually some real feel of threat involved.

Pick up Hellgate Kai, run through it abit. While it needs bigger levels, everything else about it, is what Diablo SHOULD be. Or look through here.
    http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y245/Midknight00711/Hellgate/
    Some screenys taken off a 2.4 P4, running a 6800 Nvidia I yanked out of the celeron. Graphics still look awesome despite being at low.

15. Kai Shek

Kai Shek Supreme Mugwump

Already play Hellgate. The graphics and camera is pretty standard when compared to other releases around this time. Diablo, like you said, already has the quality in the graphics, the only difference is the view and how they are being used.

It does however look different compared to the other high 3d graphics and the First Person Shooter view, and that may get it looked at enough.

I have a feeling that they want to avoid losing the playerbase they currently have with the Diablo series because of changing something around. Hellgate has many problems, and although it is not much different than Diablo, the differences do not make me hooked playing Hellgate like Diablo II does.

I actually do not perfer to feel anxious or on edge when playing Diablo. I want to feel relaxed, a game that I can jump right in after work and wind down and a game that I enjoy playing. Diablo will always be a hack and slash game focused mainly around loot. Hellgate is that, yes, but I never felt the power and I never felt godlike when I played hellgate. It was less fun and more tedious. I am not saying that Diablo would fail if it looks a lot like Hellgate, I just don't see a reason to change something that is working fine and I think from the video, the game looks quite beautiful(I still play Diablo II and Ultima Online; I really have no care for graphics, only gameplay).

They seem to be doing exactly what they did when they made Diablo II from Diablo I.

Enhance graphics and enhance the gameplay. It worked then, no reason why it won't work now.

The joy and difficulty of Diablo is not having trouble killing one little creature. You are a hero, one little minion should only be a nuisance, your main obstacles are the dozens of creatures that attack you at once. I seem to feel more accomplished when I am killing guys left and right for little reward then if I killed larger, tougher guys for more reward.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2008
  16. Poytin

Poytin The Arby's Hipster DLP Supporter

QFT. I still have this problem with most games because of Diablo. They keep on sending one big one instead of a lot of small ones and it doesn't feel as satisfying to kill them.

17. Cruentus

Cruentus Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Holy shit thats Hellgate? I know what I'm getting next.

As for D3 I never really got into the others, though I did beat them, so I'll wait and see, but as for SC2 I'll wait until I actually play it before I make a judgment.

18. Gullible

Gullible Headmaster

Sitting in front of a broken compooter, lolololol
    Don't srsly.

It is incredibly badly designed, its dull and monotonous and the online play is terrible.

19. The-Hyphenated-One

The-Hyphenated-One Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Yeah hellgate is was to repetitive. I keep killing things, but I feel like I'm not getting anywhere.

That's why I stopped playing it.

20. Argosh

Argosh Groundskeeper

Saw the gameplay trailer. Wow. "There something here!"
    And then something BIG moves in the shadows. :eek: