1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

KOTOR MMO

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Jamven, Jul 18, 2008.

1. Jamven

Jamven Headmaster DLP Supporter

It's official...

No screens or anything atm.

Not too sure how I feel about it.

So, worst kept secret?

2. Tehan

Tehan Avatar of Khorne DLP Supporter

Bet the first two other people you see upon playing the game will be along the lines of r3v4n and 3><1l3.

But hey, hasn't been a decent sci-fi MMO for yonks, although if memory serves that Stargate one is on the way.

3. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Another game I won't play. Not because it'll be bad (Bioware is win), but because MMO's suck up too much time and money for me to play them.

4. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

Finalllly. Another KOTOR.
    I'll definitely be getting this.

...Assuming that I get a good computer by then. -_-

5. Sagita

Sagita Fourth Year

Well this is one MMO that I would actually love to play. KOTOR is actually one of my two favorites RPGs.

6. HotIce

HotIce Squib

Damn, I've beaten both KOTOR's countless times. I do not wish to get a new computer for the sake of one game...then again, theres always Diablo 3 too! Haha looks like I'm getting a new computer.

7. Cathal

Cathal Sir Nils' Right Hand

Shit, I was hoping it would be a single-player game. I mostly play games for good plot and MMOs are just just a little bit above sport simulators in plot department.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2008
  8. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

Eh, they'll probably release a single-player game after this comes out.
    I don't think this is an actual sequel to KOTOR, just set in the same universe.

However, I could be wrong.

Edit: Awesome sig HotIce.

9. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Hopefully they learn from the mistakes of Star Wars: Galaxies.

10. Durden's Wrath

Durden's Wrath Second Year

Also hopefully, BioWare doesn't let Obsidian get within 100 miles of this project. Seeing how they completely fucked up 2 of BioWare's previously awesome games.

11. Aurion

Aurion Headmaster

^Yeah.

Hopefully it dosen't get fucked the way KOTOR 2 did. That was an epic fail.

12. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The thing is, all Star Wars MMOs face the same dilemma that Galaxies did. Everyone wants to play a Jedi (or Sith), but if you let them do that, you'll have a world full of Jedis and nothing else.

It'll be interesting to see how KOTR MMO attempts to get around this.

13. Durden's Wrath

Absolutely epic. They didn't spend the time they needed to finish off the plot lines. Left many plots completely undone... and the ending of the game was quite possibly the most anticlimactic ending not actually done by Lucas himself.

I actually wanted to be Bounty Hunter... or have a pet class. But I got way too put off by the grinding. That and I hated some of the classes, like Entertainer.. ugh.

Cartoony or not, WoW so far (other than EVE and Earth any Beyond) has been the only MMO so far that hasn't driven me off by the grind.

But I wouldn't worry too much Taure. For a KOTOR MMO, I think you'd have a longer line of people waiting to play a snarky Assassin Droid.

Favorite HK Quote: "Explanation: two per cent probability that the miniature organic is simply looking for trouble and needs to be blasted. That may be wishful thinking on my part, master"

Last edited: Jul 20, 2008
  14. wraith5

wraith5 Guest

Hopefully you're right. KOTOR is too good as a single-player game for them not to make a third.

15. Gabrinth

Gabrinth Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Lol, too true, mate.

BTW, I've never played Galaxies, so I was wondering how a party system worked in a Star Wars MMORPG. Is there a healer, tank, damage dealer, and so on like in a normal MMO? If there wasn't in Galaxies, do you think they will change it back to the classic route in the KOTOR MMO. I can't play a game where I can't be healer...

16. Durden's Wrath

You know what I really want? Tie Fighter 2. LucasArts still hasn't made a game half as good as Tie Fighter yet. And that's considering how much I love KOTOR and Jedi Knight.

17. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

that was LucasArts fault iirc. They forced Obsidian to release the game for the Christmas rush before it was ready.

18. Durden's Wrath

LucasArts did have a hand in it. But Obsidian was partly to blame for taking on such an epic task, and not planning better for it. Reading the developer's comments on the game, it sounded like they did a good bit of fucking about.

And then after the Christmas rush, Obsidian didn't do the right thing and release a patch with the missing content. They just let it go as-is.

19. Tehan

Tehan Avatar of Khorne DLP Supporter

20. Durden's Wrath

Shame that's not Obsidian doing the work, but a fan lead project. And doesn't substitute for the actual canon work being so shoddy. Nor Obsidian having the integrity in their work to not leave the game such an incomplete mess.

If Blizzard can support Diablo 2 eight years after its release, I think Obsidian could have supported KOTOR 2, for a few months after its release.

Though I completely don't get the joke being made in the link's tag.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2008