PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions, please...

Xiph0
02-13-2006, 04:11 PM
So.. I've been pondering this all day and now I turn to my fellow dark! perusers for some help, if they'd be so kind:

I'm currently editing my fic so that England is broken up three different ways. Mid-South-and North.

Now each are going to have heridital Lords, loosing based on the fuedal system... loosely.

What I'm stuck on is how to have Hp find out that he basically controls Wizarding - Fuedalish - villages all throughout Middle England[lol] and explain it realistically...

Element
02-13-2006, 04:15 PM
Right, ok.
To have it explained to him, the way I see it is that you have two, maybe three, choices.

#Gringotts (for the love of God, not Griphook)
#Dumbledore (I personally find it quite hard to write Dumbledore)
#An OC = an ambassador or peasant on a quest or an exiled person from one of Harrys feudal villages. (I find this the best way. A blank slate, a new person.).

Realistically, erm, well, Harry is going to be shocked, but he isn't going to hate the idea. He's going to worried about Voldemort going after the villages to annoy him, and this will be one of the first things he says in reply what with Harry almost always having his thoughts on Voldemort.

I'm not sure I've been much of a help but I always love typing and wahey, I could go on for another few paragraphs...

ip82
02-13-2006, 04:25 PM
I have an idea - Percy.

He's displeased with his status in the ministry (Fudge's errand-boy) so he ruffles through some files and finds out about Harry's status and that Fudge had been covering it up (with or without Fudge's help). So he seizes the chance - goes to Harry and offers him his services (help with finances, administration, bookkeeping etc) in exchange for the info.

BTW I don't know if this could work, I've yet to read your story (waiting for few more chapters before starting).

Xiph0
02-13-2006, 04:38 PM
#Gringotts (for the love of God, not Griphook)

I'll likely use this in combination with the Dumbledore scene.

#Dumbledore (I personally find it quite hard to write Dumbledore)

I'm leaning towards this, but it makes the scene I've promised much harder to pull.

#An OC = an ambassador or peasant on a quest or an exiled person from one of Harrys feudal villages. (I find this the best way. A blank slate, a new person.).

Nothings really popping to mind as to how to pull that off so... nah..
I have an idea - Percy.

He's displeased with his status in the ministry (Fudge's errand-boy) so he ruffles through some files and finds out about Harry's status and that Fudge had been covering it up (with or without Fudge's help). So he seizes the chance - goes to Harry and offers him his services (help with finances, administration, bookkeeping etc) in exchange for the info.

I love this idea, but I hate writing Percy. I have to leave the Ministry as an Administration building for the Emperor[yah, I know it should be King, Emperor is a funner term though] and the Minister as a middleman between the Emp and Lords.

I'd rather use that scenario with Lucius, who I'm going to be making the Southlands Lord.

BTW I don't know if this could work, I've yet to read your story (waiting for few more chapters before starting).

Good idea, that. I keep editing stuff to cover wholes in the plot...

Thanks! :)

Dark Syaoran
02-13-2006, 04:43 PM
I personally like the Percy idea since its original.

Lord Osiris
02-13-2006, 10:29 PM
You mentioned that the Lords have slowly been losing power to the Ministry yes? he must take the mojority in the Wizingamont then? Someone did it well purhaps put a spin on it so it shows that it's yours instead of a copy...Fayr Warning i think it was. Set up a "no-confidence" vote kicking pudding out and get a simpathiser in, not Weasley or Bones or anything like that someone else...? If what you have planned for harry to do later the ministry needsd to be compling unless you just declear War.

Mrriddler
02-14-2006, 08:22 AM
...or surround the Wizengamont while it's in session and massacre its members. That'll set you up nicely for war...*whistles* :P

Master Slytherin
02-14-2006, 10:21 AM
I'm currently editing my fic so that England is broken up three different ways. Mid-South-and North.

Now each are going to have heridital Lords, loosing based on the fuedal system... loosely.

Um I haven't read your fic but PLEASE tell me that it's set in the middle ages...please.

bornagainpenguin
02-14-2006, 11:59 AM

Um I haven't read your fic but PLEASE tell me that it's set in the middle ages...please.

Why? Its not as though the Wizarding World is very advanced either culturally or technologically.

I mean sure it'd be a bit strange fitting this into our 'modern' world but not impossible I'd think. Especially if you go by the first chapter in Half-Baked-Plot...

--bornagainpenguin

Master Slytherin
02-14-2006, 12:14 PM
Its not as though the Wizarding World is very advanced either culturally or technologically.

Well isn't Hogsmeade the only 100% wizarding village? And it's not even in England! If you go by that and what we've seen in canon, wizards are scattered around the country. It's not impossible but it'd be damn close to convincingly pull it off, especially with heridital Lords etc. Not only that but it's geographically hard to do, England's too small to divide into 3 substantial sections.

bornagainpenguin
02-14-2006, 12:37 PM
Its not as though the Wizarding World is very advanced either culturally or technologically.

Well isn't Hogsmeade the only 100% wizarding village? And it's not even in England! If you go by that and what we've seen in canon, wizards are scattered around the country. It's not impossible but it'd be damn close to convincingly pull it off, especially with heridital Lords etc. Not only that but it's geographically hard to do, England's too small to divide into 3 substantial sections.

True...Hmm I wonder if for story telling purposes Xiph0 is considering Ireland a part of England in its entirety?

--bornagainpenguin

Tinder
02-14-2006, 12:39 PM

Actually, as it happens, it's not really, especially if you're trying to make it correspond to history/mythology. Now, I cant recall a time when England itself was divided into exaclty three parts (assuming we are disregarding Scotland and Wales), but here's a set for you.

Mograna le Fay was, as I recall, the daughter of the king of Cerniw, or Cornwall, and her and Arthur's son Morgan inherited this kingdom. Her being a famous witch, it's a good opportunity to reuse that ancient kingdom as the first part of wizarding England.

Around 1000-1200 years ago, before William of Normandy became king, England was for a time divided into two distinct states - Wessex, in the the south, ruled by the Anglo-Saxon kings, and Mercia in the north ruled by viking kings (including Canute) who imposed the danegeld.

I'm not exactly a professor of dark age history so don't throw me over the battlements if I'm wrong but Cerniw in the south-west, Wessex in the south-east and Mercia in the north seem like good ones ^^.

Master Slytherin
02-14-2006, 12:55 PM
I'm not exactly a professor of dark age history so don't throw me over the battlements if I'm wrong but Cerniw in the south-west, Wessex in the south-east and Mercia in the north seem like good ones ^^.

Yeah, that could work but once again it'd have to be a fic set around that kind of period. I s'pose Xiph0 could merge a few of the counties (e.g. Middlesex, Surrey and Kent could form the South part) if he really wants to set it in the present.

Glad to see another londoner here btw.

Dark Syaoran
02-14-2006, 04:52 PM
Hogsmeade is the only 100% wizarding village in Britain, thats right. I guess places like Godric's Hollow have some magical people but mostly muggles that dont know about the other half.

Xiph0
02-14-2006, 05:31 PM
Erm... nice to see all the responses...*tries to answer a few*

As to how I'm breaking it up, check this wiki-page. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midlands)

(Potters - Midlands
Albion - Northern England
Blacks - Southern England)

True...Hmm I wonder if for story telling purposes Xiph0 is considering Ireland a part of England in its entirety?

Nope, I think I'm exluding Wales as well.

*shrug* You know canon makes it sound like purebloods are " dieing off " and whatnot but I just never bought it.

I just can't see snooty stuck-up purebloods like most of the Death Eaters living around muggles, integrated unless there like the Blacks who probably exploited the muggles or lived in total isolation. Thus I'm going to be writing in different wizarding, albeit small, villages throughout England.

I (hopefully) gave a good enough descrip. of how the Lords are still around in my fic, but I'll reitterate:

It basically breaks down to one of the Lords back in the Fuedal ages having enough foresight to see government and peasent will evolving away from the Aristocracy/Fuedalism they'd lived under.

Said Lord pushed through an `absolute` law which has retained the titles through the different bloodlines.

The Ministry has basically stripped most of the remaining nobles - Potters, Blacks, and Albion's of there collective powers over England which is where alot of the plot is going to be stemming from.

It's a odd take on the WW, for sure.

*I feel like I'm rambling so if I forgot something/someone's question just ask, k?*

Sepanto
02-15-2006, 04:13 AM
Maybe you can treat Great britan as one part, Ireland as another and scotland as the last part.