1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Metal Furies

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Zed, Feb 17, 2009.

1. Zed

Zed Third Year

I basically devoured the first to books, and something comes to mind.

It's been established that, at least among folks out on the frontier/country, Alerans' furies take particular forms and identities. Except metal (of course, few metalcrafters are present in the main cast, but bare with me). This makes some sense, if you consider that unlike air, water, and earth (and fire, if you just want to go with combustion and oxygen in the air as its manifestation), metal isn't exactly abundant. Armor, swords, etc, would be the most readily available metal for a metalcrafter.

Could personal furies be present in the swords, armor, and shields? If so, this could allow a special bond between a metalcrafter and their equipment kind of dynamic.

A second thought just occurred to me. What effects could metalcrafters achieve if they knew that there was iron in their blood?

Last edited: Feb 17, 2009
  2. Tehan

Tehan Avatar of Khorne DLP Supporter

The way I see it, a sword (or anything else made of metal) is born of earth, shaped by fire, fueled by wood and air, and quenched by water - all at the hands of an Aleran, usually a metalcrafter. You could argue that the swords they make are their manifested furies, but even if you don't, you could very, very easily explain why they can't pull a Magneto.

3. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

A point like this was brought up in Avatar: The Last Airbender where they have the ability to control 4 elements -- Air, Water, Fire, and Earth. One of the water benders while she was captured invented a new technique: controlling a persons actions by controlling their blood, which of course is made up of mostly water.

The amount of control the water crafters have in Alera seem to be mostly brute force. Could they not just command the water in the blood of their enemy to stop moving? Or better yet, command all the blood to go out of any small wound.

Then again, it is a fantasy series, and you could said that this won't work against other crafters or someshit like that. In the end it becomes like this: giving them that much power leads to a boring story.

4. uriel

uriel Seventh Year DLP Supporter

I vaguely recall something about a Metal Fury being manifested once, and that it was apparently a terrifying sight to see.

That was either a comment by Butcher in his forums in answer to a question about Metal Furies, or maybe it was a passing comment in one of the books when someone asked about Metal Furies. Not very helpful I know, but I'm looking through the books/forums atm to check which one it was :)

Spoiler for the last book below if you haven't read it:

At the end of the latest book, Gauis seems to manifest a Metal Fury, turning his skin to Metal for a fight. It doesn't specifically say that this is Metal Crafting though, just that his skin turns to metal etc

5. richardl

richardl First Year

I think water-crafters can stuff someone up or kill them with a touch. Can someone, who has read the first book recently, comment? I think it is mentioned in there.

6. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

I would say when Sextus turns to solid metal before his final battle in Alera Imperia that would count as a metal fury manifest.

7. Kyle_Dodge1

Kyle_Dodge1 DA Member

Controlling people using their blood equals gay. Can earth benders control the minerals in the body? Can Air benders control the gases in a body? Avatar is shitty reference material for what is possible in Alera.

8. Zed

Zed Third Year

Yeah, that seems a bit... much.

I was thinking something relating to oxygen use, but (given the general attitude towards more mundane science and engineering) I doubt they would have the knowledge required.

9. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

What? You're a retard.

But to answer your questions: Unknown. Even to control the blood the water bender would have to be under the full moon, which enhances their power greatly.

I was using Avatar as an example in answer to the OP's last point about metal in the bloodstream. It was highly relevant.

And as both Alera and Avatar deal with the elements... I wouldn't call it shitty reference material.

10. Kyle_Dodge1

Kyle_Dodge1 DA Member

They both deal with elements, but controlling people with their blood is a shitty idea. That would not transfer over to a Jim Butcher book. If Isana pulled that shit out of her ass, it would only hurt the story by turning a near Mary Sue into a complete Mary Sue.

11. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

-_-

I never said they would transfer over. Do I need to spell it out for you?

I was replying to this thought, citing Avatar and using it as an example. Then I went on to say that this would never work in Alera because giving them that much power would be boring.

12. Kyle_Dodge1

Kyle_Dodge1 DA Member

My bad. Misread.

13. uriel

uriel Seventh Year DLP Supporter

Been re-reading the books and I came across this in the first book;

She wasn't able to kill in this case, but was able to incapacitate him, leaving her with time take care of the other Marat by doing the following...

and

So yes, it seems you can kill a person through manipulating their blood (in this case watercrafting not metalcrafting), but you need to cut them up, and send your fury into their body.

That being said, against a powerful furycrafter, or even a normal strength crafter, you would probably die before you could kill a person (It took Isana 1 minute to kill the Marat) unless they were .. sleeping or unable to use their own crafting in defense.

Also, being able to manipulate the 2grams or so of Iron in someone's blood? Singular Iron molecules at that.. doesn't seem possible :p

Last edited: Feb 24, 2009
  14. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

Sextus in his prime might have been able too but thats probably about it. Most of the high lords are around Sextus's level in the time of the books. No telling what Sextus was capable of in his prime.