1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

The Last Remnant

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Knox, Mar 8, 2009.

1. Knox

Knox The Last Remnant DLP Supporter

At the crossroad where the demon lies. Waiting to
    The Last Remnant.... Epic game by Square Enix. Glitchy as fuck sometimes, and the non cutscene graphics are meh, but Gameplay graphics are epic, It's long, and it has a good story. I would give it about a 8/10.

Anyone else play/going to play/ it?

Whats your favorite character/Villain? :D

Hermein is a pimp. XD

Last edited: Mar 8, 2009
  2. Daven

Daven First Year

I really enjoyed the first disk, but around the time of the Basses I lost interest. Honesly, I really didn't want to quest that much anymore and the Basses took a little bit to get to the boss... who would just own me.

The graphics lagged a little bit from time to time and the music (while awsome) grinded on my nerves after the hours upon HOURS of play.

Keep in mind though, this was the first game of that style I've ever played so the learning curve was a bit steep for me.

I might still pick it up in an attempt to finish it. When I have the time.

3. Spanks

Spanks Chief Warlock

I thought the load times were ridiculous. I mean, does it really require us to wait 15 seconds every time you enter a house or a battle for the screens to load? It was annoying as hell sitting there waiting for such a simple thing as entering a house to load.

The game played itself. I felt there was very little required of the player and that left me not enjoying the game.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2009
  4. Knox

Knox The Last Remnant DLP Supporter

At the crossroad where the demon lies. Waiting to
    Really? o_O The load times weren't that slow for me, couple seconds max.

5. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

6. Spanks

Spanks Chief Warlock

Yup. Still, there should have been no reason the entire game had to pause so it could load every time you had to battle, enter a building, a cut scene appeared etc. I compared it to other games that I have like Fallout 3, Mass Effect, and the load time for most things is like 1/2 a second.

I actually had to stop playing the game. Not for any faults it had. But I hadn't played my Xbox 360 in over 2 years and it had collected a shit ton of dust. Now when I play sometimes I will get an error message right in the middle of my game saying the disc is unreadable. This really pissed me off when I didn't get the chance to save. Once this happened for the fifth time in TLR I had to stop because I couldn't redo the same parts again. I'll probably start playing again soon.

7. Jamven

Jamven Headmaster DLP Supporter

I might pick up the PC port when the price comes down.

8. Midknight

It's.... different. I got this the other day in the mail via Gamefly. I'm not far into it, I'm at the part right before Elysion. So my thoughts thus far:

(*)The battles drive me apeshit. They're way too fucking long. There is a damned reason nearly every RPG ever made uses 3-5 characters fighting 1-5 monsters at a time.

If you've got 10+ characters fighting 15+ monsters, the shit takes forever, due to Square having this obscene need to make any animation last 5 seconds longer then needed. They also still are the best at having the same 3 lines of dialogue over, and over and over.

I HATE the battle system. I cannot, cannot, CANNOT stand not having direct control over my troops. I've lost track of the amount of times I've only needed 1 swipe at a few different masses to finish them off, but I've only got 2 groups, so I have to let everyone else bash my face in, while I pick them off one at a time. My first person in the group will sneeze in the enemies general direction, they die.

Now the other 3 folks in that group get to stand there and get their shit pushed in, because the target they were fighting is "incapacitated" and they get pummeled by oh, 9 other monsters who are a breath from death, because I can't target more then one group of monsters yet.

The AP system. You normal attacks are worthless if fighting more then 2 groups. But if you want loot worth a piss, you have to fight big groups. So either you can use normal attacks and let your AP build so all your guys can attack strongly, or you can let one guy constantly piss away the 15-18 Ap that refreshes each round (at the point I'm at right now) which translates into one art/spell per round per group. Annoying. Oh yeah, and the special melee attacks miss WAY too damned much. WAY too much. hell the normal ones get blocked so much it's insane as is, but at least it goes both ways.

I've got a great attack to use! I have the AP to use it! But wait... in the menu, there isn't an option to use it, but it'll let me use a higher AP cost, less powerful move, a speed buff, a ranged magic attack, the standby option, the option to heal myself, or the option to jack off. But not the action I actually want. So I tell the character to jack off, and by jack off, I mean select his own attack and see what happens. Hey look, three choose to use their normal attack instead of you know ANYTHING that damages worth a damned, and the forth chooses to... heal the other group... who was only 20% health down from full... way to go.

That's another thing, I detest not being totally able to chose to heal my people when I want to. The game seems to randomly pick when you can actually heal your teammates. The option will always be there for them, but not for you.

Fun part too, reading the FAQs from gamefaq about this game, I'll have many hundreds of fights to go, since if you don't do the side quests you'll be shit in fighting. Hell they all say you only see half the world if you don't do the subquests. Weird.

I want back into the Blackdale after beating the Fiery Idol. Don't do that unless you've managed to get a ton of fighting time. I went back in there to see a new path open and enemies changed. I went from fighting stuff we could handle, to Imps that could take out my group in 2 rounds easy. Seems the spawns vary, and you can get "rare" monsters sometimes. And by rare, they mean the same monster type, but with about 10 times the hit points. Nasty when you don't know that. I hadn't saved in awhile when that happened, I had to redo an hours worth of playing mad as hell.

Mr. Diggs. Now I think the guy's funny cute, and strange. But it's a totally stupid game mechanic. You have to go to a dig point (which the spawns also change, and sometimes they're not there at all, but you're supposed to find the unique items per zone) you select it, and summon him. You say a one liner, he goes through a dumb animation, does a dance, you see your item, he goes away. Now you've got 4 more tries to use at that spot or others in the zone, but each time you've got to piss away awhile going through the animations. And if he gets a chance to do it twice in one go, you get another animation. Annoying. Oh, and he's got stats! So be sure to sit there forever, with your 5 tries per zone to get him leveled up to find the good stuff.

Graphically it's fine. Except for the whole loading of graphics and the framerate. The game chokes on Omnislash, anything with Emma's special attacks, and really slows on the Gae Bolg attacks. The framerate drops should not be a constant companion in the game, did they test this??? Emma doing anything, especially the one big attack she has, the Devil's Due, she totally locks up for like 2 seconds, doesn't move, then hits, then doesn't move, then 2 seconds later she's done. Great.

The story so far is making me cringe. Boy sees sister get snatched. Okay. Boy goes to track sister down. Okay. Boy goes into the middle of a war, and suddenly the leader of one side is hellbent on helping the kid find his sister. Huh? David seems to be a really old type ruler, yet he lets a kid talk to him in a manner that one of his subjects would probably get beheaded for.

I didn't get why David is so obssessed with helping Rush at first. Sure after the girl saves their lives I could see it, but before?

I don't get the leveling up of weapons either. Improving them via the components is fine but there's one problem, the component system. SUCKS. To get the good stuff, you have to break down captured monsters. You can only break down capped monsters at the loot screen after the battle. You usually get capped monsters after you've found a battle with a shit ton of monsters in it... see above remark (*) about big battles with tons of characters.

But even still, your equipment gains levels after I've used it so a lot? Huh?

And speaking of levels... their battle rank system is confusing as shit. I just don't get it at all. Nor do I get probably 1/2 the shit inside all the boxes, nor how do I use Omnislash? Things aren't explained enough to deal with the confusing clustered layout they have. My HP went up. Great, did I gain a level? Next battle my Ap rose... okay why and how can I make it go higher. Next battle, my blah blah raised. Next 2 battles nothing, then another raises, repeat. Makes no sense. I want a exp bar and a level stat damnit.

I'm sure more will come later as I go though the game. It's not horrible, but it has issues. Infinite Undiscovery was horrible, at least this has some good things. I think they were going for a FF Tactics feel with the battles, but the whole flaking system they set up just doesn't work well all the time to be useful.

9. Midknight

more:

Seems now I can have 9 active units without counting any guest units. If I had guest units like I did earlier, that number could quickly skyrocket to 15+ active units.

-I detest the inability to know how many monsters you're going to fight. A single monster on the map can be 1 group of 1-4. I could be 3 groups of 1-4. So you maaaay be fighting 1 monster, or you maaaay be fighting 12. PER MONSTER ON THE MAP. And you HAVE to grab multiple monsters on the map to get good components/capped creatures.

Right before I turned it off tonight, I linked together 2 raptors and 1 fly on the map.

Only that link up resulted in about 6 unions of animals, ranging from 3 to 4 each. I now have 22 enemies to attack 9 people. That's way too damned many. The hell you say? I killed one of the fly unions. Before I did the little fucker and his other fly buddy called in another 2 unions of 3 flys each to reinforce, for another 6 monsters. Now I'm 28 monsters to my 9 guys. I found out how fun the poison effect was in this game.

Oh yeah, that battle? I was running from another 3 raptors and 2 flies, which I basically tripped right into after this battle for similar odds. I got over 100 chains in that map within a few minutes. Insane. Now back to status effects.

-Poison is broken as shit. Poison has killed me now god knows how many times. The poison animation is another one of those "Square moments" where they just annoy the piss out of you. I get poisoned. Fine. Instead of a single tick at the start of the round for small damage, I get a tick of small damage, at the start of each person's attack, delaying it up to 5 seconds. David's the worst. Oh, and they vanish while under effect of poison as part of the animation... wtf? Zoom into character, damage displayed, character vanishes, seconds pass, character appears again, seconds pass, attack is dealt.

Now that's annoying enough on one guy. Try having it down to a union of 5 people. Now instead of a small amount of damage, your group is taking more damage per round from poison then the entire fighting group of flies is able to produce per round twice over, on TOP of them hitting you normally. They literally triple their damage out put per round. Insane again. NERF!

-The camera. I stopped playing because it gave me a splitting headache. It's never (well hardly ever) still in battle. It's like they gave the game camera a camera to shoot with, while having Parkinson's, while on speed, and then stabbing a vibrator to the side of the lens. It jerks around, doesn't focus much, which is great to hide their textures and framerate fuck ups, but it sucks after a few hours.

Adding onto this, earlier I had a rare kill me multiple times. I'd have the 2 healing options come up. 1 would have 1 guy heal, and the other's attack. I couldn't take that because of the damage output this rare had.

The other had 2 people heal... and the other 3 standing there jerking off. I spent forever trying to kill this fucking thing, finally it missed a few of it's attacks and I could spend two rounds attacking to kill it. But seriously, like 10 minutes of 2 people healing, and 3 doing nothing. While having a ton of AP. Broken system.

What the hell is wrong with them that they thought that was good game mechanics? I could of had 2 people heal and the other 3 use their pitiful base attacks and beaten the damned thing multiple times over!!!

10. Koalas

Koalas First Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Xbox Mid? Anyone know how fixed up the PC port is?

11. Midknight

12. Psychotic Cat

Psychotic Cat Chief Warlock

I just got the PC port, it's great.

To be honest probably the best change is being able to enable/disable arts.
    You can actually plan properly by choosing what skills each unit has to choose from before battle, there's still the random choices, but you have some control over the possibilities.

Link to List of Changes

13. Seitou

Seitou Third Year

Aside from the annoying battle system, which made me wanna kick a puppy every few battles. It was a pretty good RPG, interesting story, likable (or at least pretty realistic) characters and a good graphical design. I still hate the goddamned battle system though.

14. Magus

Magus Groundskeeper

To be honest, I'm not sure I can stomach another JRPG at the moment. I'm fairly far along into Chrono Trigger on my DS, but when I hit another fucking boss fight where I have to to spend another fucking hour pointlessly grinding I got fed up.

I'd only really consider getting TLR on PC if someone could tell me whether it A: is less grindtastic than most Square games or B: has Games for Windows Live achievement points (yep, I'm an achievement whore).

15. MaD

MaD Squib

I'm currently playing PC version and I'm pretty much hooked into this. The battle system is great for me, something different which is fun to play. I'm just after mission with 6 bases. My battle rank is 67 and for now I have no problems with defeating bosses. The one thing that can annoy people is that game gives no indication how strong you have to be which basically means constant grinding and doing quests. Mission in aqueducts is like that. Aqueducts are pretty easy but the boss right after this is not. This mission was very annoying for me as I had to go back to my earlier save and grind.
    PS3 version will be out in June I think, anyone getting this version ?

16. Koalas

Koalas First Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Nice. Think I've got myself a new time-sink.

17. Midknight

PC version update
    PC version fixes this by giving you a turbo mode battle option. It's without saying that this is enabled. Makes the battles bearable.

you can disable arts now, true. But you still get random as shit msgs. I'll have times where instead of the PC letting everyone attack using medium Ap moves, it'll pick 1 high AP move and everyone else will base attack. You still have very little choice in what they actually use.

Blocter's squad for example has him, a healer, and 2 heavy weapons guys. Yet I'll tend to only get 1 standby to heal, the default attack, the default standby, and either an option to range or use a combat art. Why not a few combat art options? Taking the healer on fixes this, but it's fucking stupid not to have a healer per group. Even throwing in a herbal healer/fighter hybrid it happens

The standby shit bugs me to death. I can get a attack off, kill the enemy, but 70% of the time, despite having tons of AP left over, my guys won't reassess and heal or buff myself. Rarely they do it.

The heal options seem to come up now, but not properly handled at all.

They sped up Mr Diggs, but it's still annoying, takes too long, and I swear to god 1/5th the time he either doesnt find shit, or causes you to charm or scare monsters. Not worth the effort. I turned on a trainer so once I got the components I'd always stay at 100 because I couldnt be fucked to stop every 30 seconds. I finally started finding dig count increases, but got mad and turned on infinite digs are well. It's a mechanic that just takes too damned long.

running it 1680x1050. 8x FSAA, 16xAA. No problems framerate wise

The component and weapon system still sucks ass, and added to it, which I didn't know before, sometimes the folks ask for weapons to use, which are weaker then their current ones, or ones they will soon create on their own, and this BREAKS them making a new weapon! My Torgal got stuck with some bullshit double swords for the first 15 hours of the game, instead of going through and upgrading to some bad ass axes because of this.

Not fixed at all. But turbo mode turned on to battle, makes the screen impossible to look at until the movement's done anyway. Imagine the above example, only pump the camera full of speed.

PC changes from the list:

I've seen this. Alot. Game gives me the option to kill my guys to lift the Cursed effect. ONLY I HAVE THE MAGIC THAT TAKES CURSE OFF AND THE GAME WONT LET ME USE IT!

Too many formations, zero explaination for the differences, confusing as fuck system. Even the wikipedia, who's got it figured out, gives it a giant what the fuck.

Too many blueprints. Item customization menthod confusing, too much shit.

Which makes every soldier totally useless. Most of the leaders are useless as well.

18. Midknight

Beat it. Not worth the time spent maxing stuff nor getting stronger weapons. Play it, rush through it, and be done with it.

Story is fail, ending you see coming, and then the negate all of it by setting up the sequel.

19. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

I need to finish this game.

I have decent stats and equipment.

Just raped Hannah and Hinnah iirc. ^_^

20. Midknight

Had Rush DWing katanas. Got Acala's Wrath, and then FINALLY Third Eye. Never advanced past Third Eye 1 no matter what.

The game could of been loads better, then combat system is fucked, maybe they'll get it right in 2