1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Kings starring Ian McShane [NBC: Sunday]

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Philly Homer, Mar 14, 2009.

1. Philly Homer

Philly Homer What you call elephant cum I call mouthwash

Kings is a show that I heard about a while ago. The show is based in an alternate world that is very much like the modern-day U.S., yet not like it at all. Gilboa (the name of the kingdom) is a monarchy with Silas Benjamin (Ian McShane) as the king. The aforementioned McShane is the only reason I really cared about this show in the first place, but as I did some more research on it the show sounded pretty interesting. It's definitely the most ambitious show to come along in a while. Here is how NBC's official site describes it.

http://www.nbc.com/Kings/#

The 2 hour pilot premieres this Sunday (March 15) at 8:00pm. IGN gave it an outstanding (9.0) in their review. Here is an excerpt from the review.

http://tv.ign.com/articles/961/961665p1.html

I'm more than willing to give this show a shot if only to see Ian McShane as a dictator, but I worry for it's future on an unstable network like NBC.

2. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

I've seen this advertised. As far as TV goes, this show has me interested.

McShane was pretty epic lulz in Deadwood.

3. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

NBC likes to start with good shows... then they yank all the funding, move the timeslot a hundred times, fire the best actors/actresses, and then do off the fucking wall ratings stunts during sweeps.

Oh, and then the cancel the show and blame the viewers for not supporting it.

They're STILL not as horrible as ABC though. I loved Boston Legal on ABC... until I could never find it. They'd pull it in the middle of the season, changed time slots a bajillion times, etc. It got so bad the characters talked about it in the show.

4. Anlun

Anlun Denarii Host

This looks like an interesting show but I always laugh at the king character

King "You saved my son, Ask me anything and it shall be yours. Even if you ask for half my kingdom I will grant it"

David- "I want half your Kingdom"

King ".... MOTHERFUCKER"

5. Invader.Azula

Invader.Azula Seventh Year

This show is pretty epic so far. McShane is the best on-screen dictator that I've ever seen.

6. Philly Homer

Absolutely True

Kings is fucking awesome. I didn't move from my couch for two straight hours. Ian McShane puts any other dictator to shame with that riveting performance. Hell, the ending scene with McShane's closeup was all kinds of epic.

There isn't a single character that isn't somehow interesting. They all seem to have their own motives, and that makes for some good secondary storylines to revolve around the major storyline.

I'm going to encourage people to watch it, since quality wise it's that good. Unfortunately, I don't have faith in the American populace, and this show will probably get canned in a few weeks. However, I'm very much in for the ride while it lasts.

7. Anlun

Anlun Denarii Host

It was a really well done show. My only issue is since the show needs to show an entire country the budget tends to show. The war zone seemed too fake, and Shiloh wasn't really impressive.

That aside the story line in the show is very well done. You know David becomes King but it's really interesting to see the power struggles taking place, even in the first episode. I foresee 2 seasons before it gets canceled. A shame because it is a very well thought out show.

8. Philly Homer

9. Anlun

Anlun Denarii Host

That sucks but I'm not surprised, they put he opening episode on Sunday with The Amazing Race, and Family Guy to compete. These shows bank a huge viewership and Sunday isn't really a big tv night. There also wasn't a strong lead in since it was 2 hours. They need to put this on a more televised night when American Idol isn't on.

10. Philly Homer

You forgot Desperate Housewives, which is another show that gets solid numbers. A good lead in would probably help, but this show is simply too smart for most of the idiots who love procedurals just as much as Jack Benjamin likes cocks.

11. Anlun

Anlun Denarii Host

Lol I loved how they threw that in there. Boy did he cry like a bitch when his dad told em off. Heh.

12. Philly Homer

Loved the new episode, not as much as the last one, but it was still impressive.

The confrontation between Silas and his brother-in-law was awesome. Great acting by McShane, combined with fantastic dialogue made it memorable.

That wasn't my favorite part of the episode. That was the meeting between Ian McShane and Brian Cox. Once again, McShane did a great job, but his opposing actor (Cox) was right there with him. I'm more than intrigued where this dynamic will lead to. I think Silas is going to be one of my favorite characters if they give Kings a full series run.

The symbolism of the show is pretty cool, but I'm not a big fan of the reading signs thing. It just comes off as a little too biblical for my tastes.

13. Anlun

Anlun Denarii Host

I love the show and this episode was awesome. It built up a bunch of secondary story lines that they can use if they don't get canceled.

My only annoyance is David. I'm hoping once he settles in he'll stop but for now he always feels he needs to be the only one that can solve anything. And it must be getting annoying that God has to save his ass every time. The pigeon thing was cool.

14. Boofers

Boofers Groundskeeper

I stayed up 'til 4am watching both episodes on Hulu.. Highly recommended!

15. Sophie

Sophie Denarii Host

I really like this show. I hadn't seen McShane on any other program before, but his acting is very impressive. I'm also a huge fan of Brian Cox, so of course I was happy to see him in the latest episode.

However, I'm afraid that 'Kings' might get cancelled due to bad ratings. Have a look at these links:

1, 2, or 3. Or at the wikipedia article where I got them from.

16. scaryisntit

scaryisntit Death Eater

I've been following this after reading this topic on here shortly after the first episode/s and I have to say that I'm impressed. I really don't want to see this go until we've at least seen through the first season, but my hopes aren't raised.

None of friends have even heard of it...

17. Replay

Replay First Year

The discussions on Hulu mentioned that they already have 13 episodes filmed, so if that's true, I don't see why they wouldn't at least air those, at the very least.

18. scaryisntit

scaryisntit Death Eater

If that's true, the show may simply be moved to a late timeslot. Thankfully, that doesn't affect whether or not the show makes it to the internet.

Fingers crossed.

Australia only showed Deadwood on Showtime, which I didn't and still don't have, so I suspect the same will apply to Kings, if it even comes here.

EDIT: Wiki has a bunch of episode titles up, and by looking at the last two, perhaps this was only created to be a season or two long.

19. Skykes

Skykes Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

I also love Boston Legal and its not so subtle wink at the audience. Isn't there a thread for it?

20. Kai Shek

Kai Shek Supreme Mugwump

I didn't watch Deadwood, but I was pretty sure it was only on Showtime when it premiered anyhow.

As for kings. I like it. I like that I still haven't figured out whether I like the kings character or not. I like that I am both impressed and annoyed with the main character and I like that I can't even come close to guessing whats going to happen next week.