PDA

View Full Version : Harry's Wealth

rj_stone2
03-08-2006, 12:01 AM
What would be a reasonable lower end for Harry's net worth at the end of OotP? I think it could be as low as 10,000G or so--all we really know from canon is that he has enough money that it seems like a lot of gold to him as a kid, and he has more than the Weasleys. I know that when I was eleven, ten thousand gold pieces would have looked like a freaking mountain of gold.

I'm curious about what people feel the reasonable lower bound is because I'm working on a non-superpowered non-megawealthy Independant!Harry fic, and I don't want people to quit reading on the basis of implausability.

Niffler Lord
03-08-2006, 12:23 AM
We know Harry's richer than the average wizard, thought I think JKR made the Weasleys too poor. If I remember the first discription of Harry's vault then I believe its mountians of Galleons, Sickles, Krunts. I'm guessing around 250k Galleons. Given the prices in the wizarding world, thats quite a lot.

Syn
03-08-2006, 12:26 AM
i think if you kept it under a million, it would be good.

anytime i've read a fic that had harry's wealth under a million it's garnered more of my respect.

it's quite a peeve of mine when a great fic comes around, but then has harry inherit a couple hundred million or several billion pounds.

on a related note, just what IS the conversion rate between galleons and pounds sterling?

Cervus
03-08-2006, 05:32 AM
I usually stick with the converter linked to below for my conversions of wizarding money to muggle money. It also converts muggle to wizard.

http://www.onlinetools.org/fun/muggleconvert/muggleconverter.html

That_Boy
03-08-2006, 07:49 AM
I think it's better just to not mention exactly how much money he has. In mine I just said that while he was quite rich that didn't mean he had thousands of galleons to waste. It implies wealth but not unmeasurable enough that he doesn't care about spending money.

Syn
03-08-2006, 09:21 AM
I think it's better just to not mention exactly how much money he has. In mine I just said that while he was quite rich that didn't mean he had thousands of galleons to waste. It implies wealth but not unmeasurable enough that he doesn't care about spending money.

i hear the words you are saying and i think they're awesome.

Narf
03-08-2006, 10:36 AM
And suddenly, the topic finds itself in FanFic Discussion...I wonder why? - Sree :P

rj_stone2
03-08-2006, 11:29 AM
As between:
General Discussion
This is where all users can talk about anything...HP related or no, so long as it's clean.
And:
FanFic Discussion
Looking for a Beta reader or a special fic. This is the place for you.

I don't think it's obvious that FanFic Discussion is the right place for this topic. In fact, FanFic Discussion looks like it is supposed to have discussions about particular fanfics (whether looking for a beta reader for your own or trying to find somebody else's), which would make this off topic.

Midknight
03-08-2006, 05:21 PM
point taken, I'll change the descriptor later

Seraphym
03-09-2006, 12:57 AM
I'm all for a very rich Harry, as long as he doesn't just spend it and expect the Goblins to keep making him money. I'd like to see Harry trying to bring in some more wealth for himself.

One thing I like about some indipendant Harry is when he starts to date and work his way into pureblood political circles.(Though I don't like it when its overnight, would rather see a fic where he begins to think about this sort of stuff early on.) Money would be a keystone to any plan he made in that sort of area.

Lord Nemesis Black
03-09-2006, 01:09 AM
Either way works for me as long as the Aruthor doesn't just brag and brag about how rich Harry is.

Inexistence
03-11-2006, 01:37 PM
I usually stick with the converter linked to below for my conversions of wizarding money to muggle money. It also converts muggle to wizard.

http://www.onlinetools.org/fun/muggleconvert/muggleconverter.html

I'm quite sure that I read somewhere that one galleon was worth 5 pounds.

Mordecai
03-11-2006, 01:45 PM
Thats the conversion rate used in a lot of fics. No doubt someone used it once, anotehr author read it and used it and it carried on form there.

I think the idea of Harry making his own money is quite interesting. In a political!Harry, he could do it by making a bunhc of business deals with other old families or something. In independant!Harry he could, once he had trained up a bit, hire himself out as a hitman, an expensive hitman, or somehting like that.

In must-have-knowledge!Harry he could become a librarian or something :P

Lord Dragon
03-17-2006, 11:04 PM
I like stories wear Harry is at least a millionaire with lots of property to choose from.

Lorelei of the Sea
08-28-2006, 01:57 AM
Well we know he is not super wealthy because in PoA he dosen't buy a model of the solar system and a firebolt because he wanted to have enough money to finish Hogwarts (I don't remember the exact quote and don't have the books with me.) Assuming that the vault we know about is the only one he has, and considering tuition costs and inflation, I'd say that 50-60 thousand galleons is very reasonable. What Sirius left him, considering his purchase of a firebolt and other expenses, should be about 20 thousand. As for property, the only ones he has, according to the books, are the land at Godric's Hollow and HQ. I hope you will have him make his own money. Sadly, that would be original.

jbern
08-28-2006, 12:55 PM
The 1 galleon = 5 pounds came from some q&a on JKR's website. I have never been a big fan of her economic system, but hey she wasn't starting out to build an entire fantasy world.

One thing to consider in that world is how much people actually make. Some how the Weasleys 'get by' on Author's lowly salary. One of the things to fact or in is that in all reality a wizarding family merely has to purchase/grow food and occasionally purchase new clothes. Magic is a wonderful thing. Need a new dining room table, use some wood working spells and make your own. If you're powerful enough conjure one out of thin air or transfigure a tree stump into one. It seems that you would only need to purchase something if you can't/won't make it yourself. Imagine how little money it would take to live your life if you could remove the cost of a vehicle, housing, furnishings and all the other things that a wizard or witch could get away without buying.

That's my two knuts,
Jim

ip82
08-28-2006, 01:07 PM
What I find most amusing was how Ron bought a doll of Viktor Krum for 10 galleons, while only two years before that he had been using a spare wand, because he couldn't spare 7 galleons for a new one.

Mordecai
08-29-2006, 12:43 PM
Remember they don't even need to grow or buy all their food. In one of the books it talks about Mrs Weasley pouring white sauce out the tip of her wand. Whether you can do that for all sorts of food, or just with certain types I don't know, but thats what it says in the books.

Muttering Condolences
08-29-2006, 01:43 PM
Assuming that Galleons are made of real gold, the 5 pound conversion rate is assinine. Gold goes for just under nine hundred dollars an ounce on the stock market. The Weasley's could easily get ten Galleons, smelt them down and craft jewelry.

Styx
08-29-2006, 05:16 PM
Dont mention exactly how much money Harry has but mention its decrees once in a while. For example:By Xmas Harry had spent nearly half of hes vault.
Its an incentive for Harry to find a way to get more money himself.

Haunted Warrior
08-30-2006, 01:02 PM
Assuming that Galleons are made of real gold, the 5 pound conversion rate is assinine. Gold goes for just under nine hundred dollars an ounce on the stock market. The Weasley's could easily get ten Galleons, smelt them down and craft jewelry.

And why on earth would the Weasleys, at any point in their lives, need to learn how to smelt and craft? And, how would they pay for it.

And you shouldn't say how much, just that he has a substantial amount. And everybody makes Harry's vault very large through interest. But they all forgot taxes.

And to answer what Lorelei of the Sea raised, brooms are very expensive.

World
08-30-2006, 02:45 PM
And everybody makes Harry's vault very large through interest.

I doubt that Gringotts pays much interest, if any. After all, there is no competition, so they don't have to convince the people to put their money into their bank.
If anything, they probably demand a fee for keeping your money save.

Amerision
08-30-2006, 05:37 PM
I want to see a Harry that isn't wealthy at all, he's in debt.

That would make a good humor story, EvadingDebtCollector!Harry. Imagine them trampling Death Eaters and Voldemort, and hunting Harry down...

ChuckDaTruck
08-30-2006, 06:52 PM
I would put it at 100,000 Galleons.

That seems like enough to be comfortable, but not enough that he can maintain his lifestlye without working (ala Lucius Malfoy). Its also enough that he doesn't have to be frugal, but he does have to be careful and spend wisely (He'd be hard-pressed to buy a new house let alone a mansion.)

YOu could also make it so that the Potter Vault has everything locked up under a long-term contract with Gringotts (i.e. none of its readily available without a steep penalty fee). THis way he's forced to live using the trust vault's 10,000 galleons.

For me 100,000 is the lowest amount you could reasonably go to.

Lord Apophis
08-31-2006, 05:27 PM
I like stories were harry is rich enough to be able to buy most things as long as he needs a job to bring in new money as well.

For me would 500 000 be the lower limit as long as he does not own any other houses then his parents house and the black family home. He would then need to spend quite a bit of money to fix either of the homes to be able to live in them.

draco664
08-31-2006, 10:27 PM
What would be a reasonable lower end for Harry's net worth at the end of OotP? I think it could be as low as 10,000G or so--all we really know from canon is that he has enough money that it seems like a lot of gold to him as a kid, and he has more than the Weasleys. I know that when I was eleven, ten thousand gold pieces would have looked like a freaking mountain of gold.

And yet by the end of fourth year, 1000 galleons still isn't enough to turn his head.

I'm curious about what people feel the reasonable lower bound is because I'm working on a non-superpowered non-megawealthy Independant!Harry fic, and I don't want people to quit reading on the basis of implausability.

So just have his trust account as his cash reserves. Have all the 'family' wealth tied up in various ventures and investments/property he can't touch. That's the way I went with JP; as the only heir of two big families, he's definitely wealthy, but he sure as hell can't withdraw enough cash to buy a ferrari unless he borrows from the Goblins.

Take a look at Bill Gates. A while ago he was the richest man in the world, but that was only because he owned a hefty chunk of the biggest company in the world. If he tried to liquidate it into 'cash' he'd be lucky to get a tenth of it after dumping that many shares onto the market at once.

Draco

carvell
09-01-2006, 09:44 AM
In cannon harry must be rich, his parent's were well off ( far as i know ), then they die. Harry collect's his money on his 17th birthday, that's 16 years worth of interest he's earned while starving in a cupboard, then he got some gold from Sirius ( book 6 ) add 1 year of interest plus black manor/house he must be loaded.

my guess would be about 2-3 millon galleons.

no wonder the slut is after him she's a gold digger.

Erotic Adventures of S
09-01-2006, 09:06 PM
So long as it is under a few million it is reasonable. That way he can spend with out worrying but can't go and fund the entire war like he does in some fic's.

Kiklo
09-01-2006, 09:43 PM
Umm, my guess is somewhere around 500,000. He doesn't buy the fanciest outfits or other expensive items. So 500,000 should be good enough, and if he needs more for the future, he could always get a job.

MrINBN
09-02-2006, 08:02 AM
Gold is expensive. There's no doubt in my mind that even the poorest of wizards could just destroy or melt off the identifying marks on galleons and sell them to muggles for a huge profit.

the-caitiff
09-03-2006, 04:33 PM
Regarding the 1,000 galleon prize from GoF, note that all that fit in a small sack Fudge handed to Harry. Harry's vault is described as having mountains.

In the realm of property owned, we have to ask ourself about wizarding culture. Assuming that the Black Family is a typical pureblooded family (may not be fair, but bear with me), when a family dies off like the Potters, there ought to be a few pieces of real estate floating around. Unless people remain living with their parents as they start a new family, there is going to be a house here or there waiting for him. Let's assume that they aren't too different from muggles and alot of wizards rent. Would upper crust old money/influence families rent when they could buy? The Potters and the Blacks are both old Pureblooded families. Both families probably lost a lot of members in the wars against Grindewald and Volde such that one man controlled the life savings, properties, and investments of not only himself and his parents, but his siblings, cousins, aunts, and uncles. Did all the Blacks live at 12 Grimmauld? Or all the Potters in a cottage at Godric's Hollow?

While I am not a fan of the "Why you are our largest depositor Mr. Potter..." style of wealth, I can understand a comfortably rich Harry with a few houses.

Styx
09-04-2006, 11:11 AM
Regarding the 1,000 galleon prize from GoF, note that all that fit in a small sack Fudge handed to Harry. Harry's vault is described as having mountains.

Inside bigger then outside .

Mordecai
09-05-2006, 10:56 AM
You all have to remember that when it is described as a mountian of gold, Harry is a malnourished 11 year old. IMO that means he is no more than 4' to 4 1/2'. That means that, if the platform of the vault is raised a bit, and a few feet away, it may only be about the same height as him, maybe only slightly taller.

In GoF, galleons are described by a muggle as being the size of a cartwheel, to me that shows that they are rather large, even if it is an exageration. So, a 4ish foot high pile of gold coins maybe 3-4 inches in diameter, and maybe an inch or so think, doesn't amount to all that much IMO.

Hasty
09-05-2006, 12:12 PM
Gold is expensive. There's no doubt in my mind that even the poorest of wizards could just destroy or melt off the identifying marks on galleons and sell them to muggles for a huge profit.

Was it ever actually confirmed that galleons were real gold? The only time I think it was really mentioned was when Harry first saw his vault and was told "the gold ones and galleons" they could just be gold plated of some such crap and we'd never know.

As for how rich Harry is, I think it's usually for the best if a figure's never given, just say he's relatively well off and leave it at that.

Mordecai
09-05-2006, 12:20 PM
Something else I just thought of, is that we are never told exactly how much something costs. This means that we don't know, even if Harry has millions of galleons if he is well off enough to never work.

Hasty
09-05-2006, 01:25 PM
His wand was 7 galleons, and I know in one of the books is says how much a butterbeer is but I'm not taking the time to look it up. Not really much to work from is it... :(

Mordecai
09-05-2006, 01:44 PM
A wand is an important, undowithoutable item, so by definition it cannot be too expensive. It might be out of the price range of the Wealeys, but they support 2 adults and 5 children, or 4 or 3, whenever in the series you choose to look at, and they do so on quite possibly one of the lowest paid jobs in the Ministry of Magic, which, if its anything like muggle government, pays the upper echelons far too much, and the lower echelons, or the people who actually do anything, far too little.

Some fics make a big deal about Arthur being a department head. Even he says something about his office not being important enough for a window. He is incharge of 1 person. A supervisor in the Department of Familial Registration (making that up off the top of my head, just imagine, busy but unimportant) probably is in charge of more people than Arthur is, and probably gets paid more.

I would imagine that Arthurs job is the sort that a relative, or the relative of a close friend of the Minister would get given so they could say they work for the Ministry of Magic. Sounds good on paper, but really, I can see it being the sort of position, where you could do absolutely no work, or very nearly no work and get away with it. Sure, decharm the occassional key or toilet, which with practice is probably about 2 minutes work. Spend a couple of hours at work each day and you can keep the job, but do no work really. But of course, when Arthur got the job, he actually took it seriously.

About butterbeer, it is probably the equivalent of coke, so is exorbitantly priced for what it is, but is also not actually that expensive.

Lord Nemesis Black
09-05-2006, 02:36 PM
I think the thing that we have to remember is the common worker's wage. I don't know if it was ever said anything about what a person make's, If the average person make's very little then the value is worth more. If the average person brings home more than the value is worth less than before. than you also have to consider what the average cost of something is from the least costly thing to the average cost of a home for example. But we have to keep in mind that according to JKR is that Harry's family was for the most part well off in the money part and they left it to the last heir to the Potter family wich was Harry.

thapagan
09-15-2006, 12:05 AM
The HP ecomony is strange. Mrs. Weasley can produce gravy out of her wand, but cannot tranfigure second hand clothes?? It is a shame JKR didn't explain more about the limits of magic and it's relation to money/wealth.

Mordecai
09-15-2006, 08:37 AM
JKR used the sauce making spell to subtly inform us of yet another thing magic can do, but its entirely possible that Mrs Weasley can't transfigure worth a damn, or maybe its just a kind of convention, that you just don't transfigure clothing for yoursle funless its an emergency. YOu know,like you just don't say you love hot HP/SS slash on this forum, you just don't make your own clothes with transfiguration.

And how may i ask would you transifugre second hand clothes. Second hand means they have been owned before.

the-caitiff
09-15-2006, 04:08 PM
Transfigure the ratty looking cheap robes into something that looks like a million bucks.

Darius
09-15-2006, 05:41 PM
In the fic I'm writing Harry get Sirius will and the black vault that has millions of galleons and tons of priceless artefacts, but they are in a seperate room and only a direct descendent, or faimly member of the current heir, can open it becuase you have to have a sufficient amount of Black blood to open it. While in the main vault room there is around, maybe 50, 000 galleons. Therefore it's there but Harry Can't access it.

SushiZ
09-15-2006, 11:44 PM
I hate fics about him going to Gringotts and finding out that he owns like 7 other vaults that belonged to the hogwarts founders and shit like that. He ends up with like more fucking money than Bill gates, has like 10 castles, 5 villas, 6 mansions, 3 quidditch pitches and like owns all the stocks in every fucking company, muggle or magical.

Darius
09-17-2006, 11:38 PM
I'd like to see a story like that but he just abuses it all and gives nothing away. Is there a fic like that?

Mordecai
09-18-2006, 08:06 AM
What do you mena by abuses it? Like he spends it on him self, in which case yes, tehre are lots of fics where he spends on himself and only gives minimal amounts or small gifts to his friends.

bornagainpenguin
09-24-2006, 09:17 PM
Finite Incantum ?

--bornagainpenguin

Amerision
09-24-2006, 09:20 PM
That would be hilarious.

Harry finds out the Weasleys have survived on conjured food for years.

With a simple "Finite Incantum", the Weasleys degrade into a small bit of slush as their conjured molecules dissapear.

Mordecai
09-25-2006, 02:32 AM
A fitting end to a disgusting family!

Muttering Condolences
10-09-2006, 02:51 PM
And why on earth would the Weasleys, at any point in their lives, need to learn how to smelt and craft? And, how would they pay for it.

Thank you for clearly not reading my post. My point was that 5 pounds per Galleon is ridiculous. Assuming Galleons are pure or close to pure gold, the Goblins are losing hundreds of dollars per Galleon made.

Using the Converter provided by Cervus (under the assumption of Galleons being made of pure gold), let me show why melting Galleons is a good idea.

First, Arthur gets his weekly pay check from the Ministry for one or two hundred galleons. Galleons are describes in Canon as 'heavy', so let's say 10 Galleons equals 5 pounds. Arthur melts these ten Galleons in a simple 5 pound brick of gold. 5 pounds is 80 ounces.

Second, gold is worth $308.60 Pounds Sterling per ounce on the stock market. Now we have an 80 ounce brick of gold with a price tag of $308.60 per ounce. 308.60 times 80 equals 24,688 pounds. Wow, that's a hefty chunk of change for ten Galleons.

Third, now that Arthur sold this brick of gold and has a shit load of muggle money in his pocket, what should he do? Thats right, head to Gringotts to exchange it for Galleons. Using the Converter, we know that one Galleon is worth 3.01 pounds. So 24,688 divided by 3.01 equals 8201 Galleons plus change. So Arthur turned a profit of 8191 Galleons.

This is why melting down Galleons for the gold is a good fucking idea. Any wizard can be a rich son of a bitch in couple days. Fortunes could be built in a few days. The Weasley's could go from dirt poor to Malfoy-rich in a couple days, with no one the wiser.

If Arthur had melted 100 Galleons into a 50 pound brick of gold he could have eventually converted it into 82,019 Galleons plus change. Not bad for a weeks work.

thapagan
10-09-2006, 03:05 PM
Muttering, somewhere out there is a fic that addressed your idea.
The Money is magic. tah dah.
It was, I think a post voldemort fic with rufus as the villain, grigrotts was closed
goblins were talking rebellion and Albus was trying to "mint money" to get around
the goblins. Sorry I can't remember better, it took a good shot at explaining the wizard monetary system.

the-caitiff
10-09-2006, 10:24 PM
In the fic I'm writing Harry get Sirius will and the black vault that has millions of galleons and tons of priceless artefacts, but they are in a seperate room and only a direct descendent, or faimly member of the current heir, can open it becuase you have to have a sufficient amount of Black blood to open it. While in the main vault room there is around, maybe 50, 000 galleons. Therefore it's there but Harry Can't access it.
Just call in Bill Weasley or another curse breaker. If they cant break in, spend that quarter of a million pounds on some explosives and/or a thermite wand. How about some of Grunning's finest diamond tipped drills and drill out the hinges?

From canon, magic should be pretty easy to subvert through muggle means. Blood transfusion from Tonks or Andromeda... Hey look, I'm a Black by blood. Or better yet drain the ferret to get that nice Pure and non disowned Black Blood.

Mordecai
10-10-2006, 02:43 AM
Second, gold is worth $308.60 Pounds Sterling per ounce on the stock market. Now we have an 80 ounce brick of gold with a price tag of $308.60 per ounce.

Just a small point. $ means US Dollar. means GBP. Please don't mix them up, or even worse, do what you did and use $ then say Pounds Sterling.

Darius
10-10-2006, 04:10 AM
Just call in Bill Weasley or another curse breaker. If they cant break in, spend that quarter of a million pounds on some explosives and/or a thermite wand. How about some of Grunning's finest diamond tipped drills and drill out the hinges?

From canon, magic should be pretty easy to subvert through muggle means. Blood transfusion from Tonks or Andromeda... Hey look, I'm a Black by blood. Or better yet drain the ferret to get that nice Pure and non disowned Black Blood.

Lol, yeah I thought about the blood from other Blacks, assuming Tonks doesn't work I was thinking of a subplot of Harry desperatly trying to keep the Blacks alive and out of prison so he can access his fortune.

Muttering Condolences
10-11-2006, 03:46 PM
Sorry about the currency symbols. Does anyone know how to type the pound symbol?

CaptainG
10-11-2006, 04:01 PM
^ shift 3 on a proper (English) keyboard, not sure about on an American one.

In all honesty, I like the idea of a super-rich!Harry, but then i also like Political!Harry, and for me the two seem to go hand in hand.

I agree with the smelting idea though, which is why I believe they must just be golden coloured, maybe steel inside.

What really annoys me about rich!Harry stories is when he gets a load of money and is then all like 'Let's give 2 million galleons to the Weasleys.' He leaves himself with another 30 million or so, but its still like 5% of his net worth (I can't be bothered to work it out properly at the moment),

Back to the topic at hand, I think you go for 500k Galleons in his vault. Then if you decide to up the money he gets, have something like the Potter Vaults are locked away until 17 or marriage or something like that - I'm sure many people here (under 18 or so) have savings accounts that they cannot touch until then.

Mordecai
10-11-2006, 04:37 PM
What i think would be good, would be if his vault contained something around the 500K mark, but that he ahd a lot of otehr money tied up in businesses and such like. The Potter Family Company, or something, where nearly all the money made from their investments is put back into other investments. This would make him not overly rich in practice, but highly influencial, as he would own portions of a great many companies.

Darius
10-11-2006, 07:02 PM
What's to stop him from just selling his share in any given company and becoming super rich. I have NEVER read a story where Harry has a stake in a business and do something with it or even gets asked about it besides fire Dursley or Give ron Quality Quidditch and Hermione Flourish And Blott's.

Wouldn't the people in either of those stores know his family owns it and just give him everything?

mjc
10-11-2006, 08:39 PM
What's to stop him from just selling his share in any given company and becoming super rich.

The same thing stopping Bill Gates and all the rest from doing the same thing...the moment they start selling the value drops.

As for the value of the Galleon versus the Pound...it doesn't really make sense based on the prices we do know. Remember, the price of a copy of the Prophet is 5 Knuts (or about 0.01 Pounds or about $0.07...it goes up slightly later).

Also, somewhere, I can't remember exactly, but I think it was Remus or Sirius mentioning that James didn't HAVE to work...that means to me he had enough money to support a family without working.

And, yes, prices are all over the place...using the 5 to 1 conversion rate a wand is worth 35 Pounds and a book 45. A large pile of candy costs the same as a ride (without toothbrush and hot chocolate) on the Knight Bus. So it is hard to say how much money is needed to 'live on', because the prices seen in the books don't make much over all sense. Nor do the wages paid...especially if you are willing to accept the Daily Prophet that JKR wrote for the Official Harry Potter Fanclub as 'canon', because in that 'newsletter' there are quite a few wages listed. Like 7 Galleons a week for Gringotts dragon feeder...and 42 Galleons a month for an assistant manager at Flourish and Blotts. A Hit Wizard makes 700/month...

Dark Lord Rostam
10-11-2006, 08:46 PM
Jesus, what does Arthur make? 1 knut a month.

mjc
10-12-2006, 05:01 PM
Actually, I think he was paying Fudge for the privilege of working there...

Rainstorm
10-12-2006, 05:24 PM
Arthur may get paid an average or even a reasonable amount of money, however he has a very very large family to feed and clothe and probably school fees and so on to deal with. Molly is a useless bint and wont go to work as well and at one point he had five children in school and a himself and a wife to provide for. That would all add up extremely quickly I imagine.

CaptainG
10-14-2006, 05:26 PM
I think that at the end of the day, whatever you ened up giving, we have so little knowledge of how much anything costs that you can change the prices to suit. I mean we have Harry going shopping in Book 1 and 3, and maybe a few more mentions of prices but thats really it. We don't even know how much he has at the moment.

Thalarian
10-16-2006, 02:15 AM
I think one of the problems is that JKR herself doesn't even know how much Harry TRULY has. Thus the description of a 'mountain of gold'.

Kids, especially the ones that read Book 1, really have no absolute concept of money. So painting out an actual number would just sail right over their heads. JKR had to have known this on some level, so instead of saying Harry had X amount fo Galleons in his vault, all she has say a mountain of gold and VIOLA, to every elementary school student that read the first book (Her obvious target audience at the time), Harry is rich and they need to know no more.

Problem that this creates though is that you get those readers that actually WANT to know Harry's monetary status, but with JKR's 'child reader' induced description, she's really left us nothing to go by.

I'm not sure whether it was deliberate on her part, or whether she just didn't think older, more mature readers would actually brainstorm about this kind of plot hole.

Mordecai
10-16-2006, 08:54 AM
She didn't think anyone would brainstorm on any of her plot holes, or she would have been a lot more careful. Begs the question, what would she do if she ever saw this forum.

Your right though, she simply used imagery to present the idea of riches in a way that younger children could picture and understand.

CaptainG
10-19-2006, 04:46 PM
[QUOTE=Mordecai;77454]She didn't think anyone would brainstorm on any of her plot holes, or she would have been a lot more careful. Begs the question, what would she do if she ever saw this forum.
[QUOTE]

fair point, it's all to easy to criticise JK for what she has neglected to do (as in give us difinitive guides to every single thing we could ever want to know about the HP universe), but at the end of the day, she is writing 7 books that in her wildest dreams, she thought might sell moderately well (ok she can't use that excuse anymore, but she could at the beginning). It's us who are picking it apart and boiling it down and exposing the (rather small) plot holes.

Darius
10-19-2006, 07:16 PM
What did that post accomplish? Yes it's a Harry Potter forum, we break down the books and discuss them and things that we think could have been done better among other things.

I think Harry is moderatly well off. Like say a retired Doctor.