1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Do you like Dumbldore bashing, and why?

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Lord Dragon, Mar 18, 2006.

?

Do you like Dumbledore bashing

1. Yes

82.8%
  2. No

6.7%
  3. Sometimes...

10.4%
  1. Lord Dragon

Lord Dragon DA Member

This is a thred for the people that want to see a lot of Dumbledore Bashing for being so Manipulative. Go Dumbledore Bashing.
    :twisted:

2. Tinder

Tinder Seventh Year

EDIT: my nasty sarcastic post no longer relevant after DGD's modding.

Yes I like Dumbledore bashing, because... hard question.

I think the root cause is that I don't like to see Harry under the thumb of an authority figure - in fics where Dumbledore is some kind of wise, godlike, benificent person, Harry is restricted - he will always be if not following Dumbledore's orders, respecting him and taking his advice. Any fic where Dumbledore is not taken down a peg at least to the extent that he has made a great many serious, unforgivable mistakes over the years (to the degree that he would be criminally negligent in a court) not only ignores Rowlings plot holes but also means that if you want the fic to be comprehensible, Harry has to listen to him almost to the degree of working for him. Which does not an 'independent' fic make.

When he is portrayed as selfish and manipulative or even evil it gives Harry a secondary antagonist beyond Voldemort and can make for a compelling story. I think it just aids the drama of a story to have such betrayals, though it can get hackneyed after a while. With a plausible reason for Harry no longer listening to Dumbledore in terms of the fight against Voldemort in particular, Harry becomes a truly independent protagonist and the powerful, self-reliant hero (or anti-hero) that we like to see. Dumbledore bashing is simply a welcome part of that process that is almost required these days.

3. madeyemoody

madeyemoody High Inquisitor

Let me guess lord dragon, you created this just because i posted a non dumbledore bashing fic right :? Ill say it once I've said it 100 times you don't go from being angry at someone to hating them like most bashers do its stupid ,anger & hate are two different things in my opinion bashing is poor filler thats all

4. sirius009

sirius009 Minister of Magic

I hate Dumbledore because of how much he has screwed up and because his leadership skills are so flawed...

5. Lord Dragon

Lord Dragon DA Member

this thred had nothing to do with other peoples posts I just don't like the headmaster

6. DGD

DGD Headmaster

I changed the title, moved it to FF Discussion and added a poll. The original had no meaning.

Lord Dragon, when you post a thread, give it a clear topic. 'A thread for people who like Dumbledore bashing' would be a disaster, because there is no actual clear topic for discussion. Posts would be all over the place as far as what they would be talking about.

-DGD

7. Lord Dragon

Lord Dragon DA Member

Thanks for the advice

8. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

No, it's often unwarranted and usually a cheap invention of authors who have to dig for a way to turn Harry Independent and against the established 'Light' side while still having him be a good guy and maintain the moral high ground within their stories. Couple that with the fact that most stories that have Dumbles as a manipulative asswipe also make him completely idiotic and blatant about it. Some do it well, but I have to say that I dislike the device on the whole.

9. Niffler Lord

Niffler Lord Headmaster

I don't mind either. I like some fics that potray him as a kindly old grandfather figure. I like some that show in as an self-centered ass. As long as the story is ok, I can stand either.

10. Lord Dragon

Lord Dragon DA Member

You have a good point

11. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

While I personally hate Dumbledore and would be exceedingly happy if in Book 7 they dug up his wrinkly, old, and decomposing corpse to violate with a didlo wrapped in rusty tetanus infested barbed wire; I don't like bashing, because 99 times out of 100 it turns a decent fic into a pile of cliched bullcrap.

12. Evil Shnitzel

Evil Shnitzel High Inquisitor

Hmm I like Dumbledore bashing when it's not overdone.
    Few sentences and pressing the muggle lover week points and it is good bashing. When blaming The Headmaster for all your troubles and stupidness that's not cool.

13. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I used to like Dumbledore bashing, but it's become so clished now that its just silly. Plus, after HBP, even if it is a lame book, I still find it hard to hate him...

14. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

Dumbledore bashing isn't a black and white thing. It varies largely on how one author goes about it, so I have to say sometimes if its pulled off to where it doesn't take up half a chapter of bickering, its fine.

15. Duke of Rothwood

Duke of Rothwood Professor

I agree with Xipho0, it really depends on how the author pulls it off

EDIT: wow sorry guys, I was looking at a current thread and followed the link to related topics, I didn't see the time of the last post, sorry again

Last edited: Jul 31, 2006
  16. KANE

KANE Groundskeeper

Duke, you bumped a four month old thread, and you're not even a newbie!.

As for dumbledore bashing, i don't mind it as long as it's not overdone. a reasonable amount of anger towards him is okay, imo, but when the author goes as far as force harry to completely ignore everyone ever associated with dumbledore and insulting their intelligence for 'not realising what a manipulating old coot he is,' then it's going to far. Otherwise it doesn't bother me too much, i can read a fic with or without it.

17. Vincent V

Vincent V Slug Club Member

I like it, but just if it's not overdone. I don't mind reading kind Dumbledore if it's well written.

18. Fuegodefuerza

Fuegodefuerza Minister of Magic

Breaking all ties with Dumbledore is stupid, IMO. He's the most powerful wizard in the world! Harry don't have to like him, but to not take advantage of what Dumbledore's offering to him (private training, aid in battle, etc.) is just plain retarded. Usually in these fics, they have Harry uncover his "Slytherin side" and then he goes and refuses free training from the most powerful and accomplished wizard in the world...which is not being very Slytherin.

19. Lord Apophis

Lord Apophis Professor

I like Dumbledore bashing as long as it's not overdone. What I hate is when authors make Dumbledore into some kind of idiot. Dumbledore is powerful and intelligent not to mention very skilled at magic.

If he is written as something other then powerful and intelligent so should it be for a specific reason and not just for the sole reason to bash him.

20. Kai Shek

Kai Shek Supreme Mugwump

I like bashing when its not overdone as well, and when he the author doesn't bash him about ever single mistake that dumbledore has everymade in Harry's six years of schooling in one go.

But, I do like his character, and would perfer him as an old wizard with different believes than Harry to an senile manipulative old man who's trying to get Harry killed in the final battle.