1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Map of Alera

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Ragon, Nov 17, 2009.

1. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

http://www.jim-butcher.com/pics/map1920x1200.jpg

Butcher has put up a map of Alera on the website. Not quite how I imagined it would look, especially Calderon Valley. I had in my mind Garrison was on the western end of Garrison not the eastern end. I was also thinking Appia, where Magnus and Tavi were in Cursor's Fury wasnt all that far from the Elinarch.

2. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Yeah, that's a pretty cool map.

I had always imagined Calderon Valley as being on the southern border of Alera. I remember it threw me for a loop on my re-read of the books when I came across a passage describing it to be in the east instead (as shown on the map). After that I just decided that I didn't know where the crap anything was 'cept that the capital was in the middle and the Shield Wall was in the north.

Thanks for the post.

3. Tehan

Tehan Avatar of Khorne DLP Supporter

Wait, the Ice-Men are to the North? Mind fucking blown. Guess that comes from living in the Southern hemisphere.

I'm gonna have to reread the series with one eye on the map one of these days.

4. Lord Osiris

Lord Osiris Auror

It is a great map, nothing like I really imagined to be honest. I tended to view Alera as the southern parts of Europe with the Icemen toward what would be Russia and the Canim and Canea being that of the America's (a coast line 3 times that of Alera.), it all seemed to fit when Butcher kept making parallel's between the former Roman Empire and Alera, particularly the poem on the ruins of Appia "Good riddance, gluttonous whore! Victory Germania!"

Meh, still the map doees clear up quite a bit.

5. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It's strange, I've never actually though about the geography of Alera.

I never really think about it in any book, though. Is it common to?

6. Pieman

Pieman Seventh Year

I always thought that Calderon was on the east, and always pictured Maratea being to the north, despite knowing that the Icemen were there. And the only other place I pictured was Kalare, and that was on the south east part in my mind.

Still love this though.

7. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I don't think it's that common to overthink the geography in a book, but I think that most people have mental images of where major places and things are, even if it's completely wrong (like I generally am, for instance I can't imagine Calderon Valley not being on the Southern Border, though it's clearly stated that it is to the east).

Anyway in this case we're talking about very clear-cut things -- The Canim are across a large body of water to the *direction* and the Icemen are on the *direction* border while the Marat occupy the *direction* border next to Calderon Valley. In a book I generally wouldn't think beyond that type of geography -- where people are when they travel and where inns or towns are located is generally beneath my interest unless the actual geographical location has a role in the plot.

As for where the High Lords territory was, well, I had pictured Riva just north of Calderon and Antillar just south of the Shield Wall, with absolutely no clue about anyone else.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2009
  8. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I think I imagined the continent looking vaguely like North America, to be honest. Calderon was along the border of Texas/Mexico (which was much thinner than on Earth), Kalare was near Florida, with Ceres being Ceres being near the Georgia/SC line, though a bit more inland since I don't remember any docks been mentioned. Alera Imperia was obviously dead centre so somewhere around Kansas. Antillar was North Dakota, with the Icemen being in Canada :p.

The Canim were always in the West in my mind... Maybe in R'lyeh XD. The Marat were in Mexico proper and the Vord kind of cropped up somewhere near Nevada.

Hmm, my imaginary geography sucks ass.

9. Ashan

Ashan Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

Oddly enough, its almost identical to my mental map, except I thought that the Marat lands (Maratea?) and the Icemen lands fused together at some point. Would make sense, since Doroga speaks Iceman and all.

10. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

One thing I have thought about since seeing this map is why would the people of Calderon Valley go to Garrison when the Marat invade. They basically retreated in reverse. Instead of running they went toward the enemy.

11. Tehan

Did you miss the bit at the start of the first book where some bored Marat dude had taken his pet bird for a walk to molest some Calderon sheep, all the way over at Bernardholt? Garrison stops Marat armies, not random looting parties.

12. LogrusMage

LogrusMage Supreme Mugwump

...Honestly, this is pretty damn close to what I had in my head. Except flipped left-right, which I really don't mind.

Awesome!

13. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

Still doesnt really explain why they would run towards the invading army, when Riva has more legions and a High Lord, who despite not being the greatest fighter is still a high lord.

14. Tehan

Because running to Riva would mean abandoning Calderon. Running from the enemy, abandoning all their relatives in Garrison. Running to Garrison means they can assist with their furies, their menfolk can grab what arms and armour there are to spare and help out on the walls, whatever.