1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Fanfiction.net redirecting me

Discussion in 'Site Related Support' started by summanus, Nov 18, 2009.

1. summanus

summanus Second Year

Hello there!

I was reading a good ol' fic when I click to go to the next chapter and BOOM, bloody thing redirects me to some site called: "http://5beef82f.realfiles.net/"

and then it instantly redirects me AGAIN but this time to "http://error.000webhost.com/"

I was using firefox, I figured I got infected with spyware.

I ran Malwarebytes & Superantispyware but they found nothing to fix. I have AVG installed & always running and this is the first time I get this type of issue.

I cleared all my cookies, history & temp files. Rebooted pc (ya duh). Also found this option on firefox under --> options, advanced, general --> Warn me when site reloads or sends to other site and I V'd that. Unfortunately it did not work either. I downloaded me an add blocker ... when I realised too late that's so not what I needed, it didn't do anything anyway when I messed around with it.

I noticed that I could not go to www.fanfiction.net at all anymore. It always redirects me now.

I tried it on Internet Explorer, and I was still able to go there. I figured I would deal with the issue tomorrow and read my story a bit more, I go to the story again and as soon as I hit the same chapter ---> BOOM redirect...
    and now it's also doing it on Internet explorer, any time I go to FF.net .

I attempted to manually block off the sites through adding --- 127.0.0.1 "site url" --- to the hosts file on my pc to try and get it to block the sites. That didn't work.

I don't want to re-install firefox and internet explorer, especially not firefox because I tweaked it and fiddled with it until it was fine-tuned to my liking.

I'm open to any suggestions you might have, I'm running out of ideas...

EDIT: For some reason this just ... fixed itself. I still have no clue what exactly happened ?? Not to mention the fact I just managed to get back to ff.net without being redirected.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2009
  2. reggin

reggin Filthy Half-Breed DLP Supporter

I am currently able to type in www.fanfiction.net and have it go to correct page. You have spyware it seems like.

3. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I also had this problem, although again, it seems to have fixed itself. No evidence of spyware thus far, and my antivirus software has proven pretty good at picking it up and alerting me so far. Simply reloading the site seemed to fix it for me.

4. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

Something similar happened to nearly every single person in Ireland a while ago. Turned out that some "OMGDATSSEWLEET" hackers messed around with my ISPs DNS.

Try changing to OpenDNS and see if it fixes it.

5. Knox

Knox The Last Remnant DLP Supporter

At the crossroad where the demon lies. Waiting to
    Or it could just be a problem with FFn. I mean the site fucks up on like a daily basis.

6. summanus

summanus Second Year

Hmmm I'm so used to my end of the link being the problem that I never thought it could actually bemy isp or the site itself.

7. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

True, Knox. But no one else is having the problem so it's unlikely.

8. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

This sounds suspiciously like the first problem I had before all of this followed. It was happening around the same time I was getting popups.

I hope you have something different, or else it's something wrong with ffnet and was unrelated to my other problems.

Running Avast! as a boot-time scan caught something that Malware Bytes missed during all of my issues, might try that?