1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Voldemort also deserves a 2nd chance!

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Sepanto, Apr 9, 2006.

1. Sepanto

Sepanto Groundskeeper

I see all the fics in which harry redoes everything, and i think "Why not voldemort?" what not write a fic in which voldemort got a 2nd chance, and does everything from the beginning, possibly even remainging with his mother, or maybe getting adopted by marvolo/marvolo's son (the name escaped me atm)...
    Maybe someone will adopt this idea?

2. Tobang

Tobang Fourth Year

I really like the idea, the only hard part about it would be selling it to an audience. I know you should write FF because you want to, not for other peoples opinions, but what’s the point of writing it if everyone is going to hate it. Most people like to only read Harry, Ginny, Draco or severus centric fics. If anyone is thinking about writing this be prepared for less then average amount of reviews.

3. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

An interesting idea in theory. But it'd be really hard to do. You can't go back and do things differently when we really only know maybe a half dozen things from Tom Riddle's entire youth. The Harry Potter fics work because we can identify the similar things and the different ones reading the 'redo' interpretation.

But I don't think you can expect you'll have a smaller audience before a fic is written. Some fics have a massive audience nearly inexplicably. Others will seem the perfect sort of fic and get very few reviews, hits, readers, etc... I mean I was expecting quite a bit fewer people interested in my latest fic, a crossover with Firefly. Simply because the Firefly genre isn't all that popular for fanfic. I think the most reviews I saw for any Firefly fic was barely 200. And six chapters into my lil fic I've already got over 300, and it's on more favorites and alerts lists than my last HP fic. I'm just saying, interest in a fic isn't something you can easily predict.

4. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Honestly, I wasn't expecting much of it, but you just managaed to "hit the spot" with characterisation and general atmosphere.

Also, Firefly is rather easy to get into, since there are only dozen episodes to act as "canon" -you don't need 3000 hours of staring at TV to know what the fuck is going on, like for Buffy or most of animes. Hell, even Star Wars (the only non-HP fandom I'm generally interested in) is hard to get a hang of, what with all the comic books and video games and having 3 HBP-quality 'official' canon-pieces to deal with...

So in retrospect, Firefly is rather good base for fanfiction, same as HP and LOTR. What can I say, you hit the jackpot with this crossover. Not that I like Firefly the TV show, of course. I like your version of it.

5. Tobang

Tobang Fourth Year

This is absolutely 100 percent off topic, but I need to know and starting a topic just to ask this would be rather pathetic…

What on earth is FireFly. I’ve never even herd of it, that’s not that surprising since the last time I’ve watched anything but the news was years ago, but if anyone could give me a rough synopsis of it I would appreciate it.

6. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

7. chronic dragon

chronic dragon Seventh Year DLP Supporter

it might work. maybe if you have someone who is well liked in fandom somehow go back with him. hell you can have harry go back with him and have the roles reversed. harry and riddle are enemies still but riddle is the good guy and harry is the bad guy.

8. razz

razz Seventh Year

But this doesn't necessarily have to be from Voldemort's POV, just because he's the one that's gone back - using that premises as a more interesting little twist, this could just be another ...so Voldemort never attacked the Potter's. What's different now?... kinda fic. Another Slytherin!Harry, undoubtabley..

9. Evil Shnitzel

Evil Shnitzel High Inquisitor

You know it could be interesting to write this but switching between Dumbledore's point of view and Tom's.