1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Very Interesting Article

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Master Slytherin, Apr 30, 2006.

1. Master Slytherin

Master Slytherin Headmaster

http://pdfs.voya.com/VO/YA2/VOYA200504Fanfiction.pdf

This article provides a brief summary of the history of fanfiction and explores the reasons and effects of its current explosion before analysing contemporary fan culture and discussing the positive educational and social effects that young writers and other participants may find in fandom. It approaches the notion that all fanfiction is poorly written, explaining what a beta-reader is and pointing out that most writers do want to hone their craft and improve their writing as well as pointing out the level of research that goes into the crafting of a story, be it research into the canon text or into other topics that arise in the narrative.

I have to agree with many points in it while disagree with a few. It's definitely an interesting read which explains a lot of the phsychological reasoning behind why fanfiction has boomed. What do you guys think?

2. Mrriddler

Mrriddler High Inquisitor

Somewhere high, somewhere low and somewhere in bet
    Interesting article. Didn't reveal a lot of surprising things, though it did put in word some things most fans are seeing. I thought that part about when Rowling's lawyers sent "cease and desist" orders being hilarious. I guess she realized not even her millions/billions helped. ;)

3. Niffler Lord

Niffler Lord Headmaster

That was a pretty nice article. I loved the description of OOC: Mary Sue getting a zit.