1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Stupid quotes

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Zilly Sawdust, May 13, 2006.

1. Zilly Sawdust

Zilly Sawdust High Inquisitor

Right this probably was done before and probably deleted :D but I just couldn't resist posting this quote, it's from Harry Potter and the Picture of Temptation 1st chapter:

"Harry stroked her head and carried her over to her cage. "It's good to have you back." He told her as he shut the cage door."

It's obviuosly about Hedwig and I laughed for 5 mins after reading that. :)
    Harry the Jailer - what a lovely image. heh

2. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

I do think it's been done..

: searches :

Nope, only a "Cool Quotes" one.

3. Lunarian

Lunarian Third Year

Either my impressions of Harry and Hedwig are totally bias and can't see anything ill of intent. Or your really stretching to see that as harry the jailer.

4. Zilly Sawdust

Zilly Sawdust High Inquisitor

Well IMO it's a little stupid to say you missed someone and lock 'em up in a cage while you're saying it :p

5. Lord Supremo

Lord Supremo Second Year

So long as we're on the topic of dumb quotes, here's one that I'm tired of seeing in EVERY SINGLE Dark/Independent!Harry fic. Here it is from Muttering Condolences' Harry Potter and the Druid Knights, but I've seen these exact words in this exact order a million times

"One could easily kill someone levitation spell by dropping them off a cliff."

Wow, I just realized that I'm so used to seeing that sentence, that I totally missed the words "using a" in between "easily" and "kill."

But anyways, how bout some originality in authorship???

6. doc_gerbil

doc_gerbil Sixth Year

i really dont find that stupid. shes a bird. her cage is her... bed. i just dont really equate harry putting hedwig in a cage to Jailer!harry. i bet thatssss never been used before.

7. Duke of Rothwood

Duke of Rothwood Professor

Yes this is used FAR too often, but at least it does get the point across. I have seen some stories where anything that causes pain/death/injury at all is dark and nobody will touch it. How Harry hopes to kill Voldemort is beyond me, but only cheering charms for the boy-who-lived *gags*

8. Cupspeaker

Cupspeaker Looked into the void

Harry casts multiple cheering charms on Voldemort, so while he is laughing harry hits Voldie with a baseball bat or something?

9. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Maybe he could overdose him on laughing gas?

10. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

Well, I used muggle knockout gas and a gardening hoe to chop his head off to great effect in an old one-shot.

That said, I like the idea of stupid quotes. But it might be more fun to search through the fics of authors on this site, and just pull a few lines out of context so we can laugh and point the fingers at each other.

Our illustrious Lord Ravenclaw: "He felt a wrench inside his bowels"

And some slightly relevant to the previous quote: "'Magic is magic, it’s the intent that counts', which was absolutely true. Couldn't you just as easily levitate someone in front of a lorry or out a window as saying 'Avada Kedavra'?"

Oh dear. I must run to the bathroom. I feel a wrench in my bowels.