1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete The Missing Spark by The Island Hopper - Calvin and Hobbes - T

Discussion in 'Anime, Cartoons, and Comics' started by Evan Tide, Oct 3, 2011.

1. Evan Tide

Evan Tide Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Title: The Missing Spark
    Author: The Island Hopper
    Rating: T
    Genre: General (?)
    Pairing: Calvin/Susie
    Summary: As an adult, Calvin had lived his life on his own terms, following his own rules. Now with the death of his father, he is called back to his childhood home once more to face his demons and reconnect with old friends, even ones that aren't human. Complete.
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6077764/1/The_Missing_Spark

A touching story I found while browsing someone's favorites.

It brought Calvin and Hobbes back to life, for me. Basically focuses on how Calvin deals with who he is and his current life, mistakes and all.

The author is great at translating emotion to text. Writing is excellent and compelling.

5/5

2. Poytin

Poytin The Arby's Hipster DLP Supporter

This story actually finished very recently. I followed it through half of the story and I absolutely love it. 5/5

3. The Berkeley Hunt

The Berkeley Hunt Headmaster

Yeah, really not what I was expecting from a Calvin and Hobbes fic. But, a pretty interesting story, I really liked how ambiguous some aspects were, and the mature yet dreamlike tone.

4. The Fine Balance

The Fine Balance Headmaster

It's... alright. No doubt that it is well written and all, but the end kind of conflicts for me a bit.

With her mother's death, Susie begins to see Hobbes as well, pointing towards a more fantasy type explanation for the tiger's existence. However, with his epiphanies and the publication of his books, Hobbes begins to be seen less and less, pointing towards Hobbes as some weird sort of hallucinatory palliative to what had ailed Calvin (and to a large extent, Susie) since his childhood. So, not only do the two representations create friction, the latter also kind of misrepresents Hobbes, since I never really got the impression that he was a much wiser creature than little Calvin.

Essentially, "the missing spark" couldn't capture that which had animated the comics. Which, regrettably, is the very high standard that any C&H fanfic will be held to.

3/5

5. disposablehead

disposablehead Seventh Year

It has some noticeable flaws: the whole story is of the navel-gazing variety, and while it works beautifully with the source material, its bleed-through to the Calvin/Susie interactions seems absurd. The epilogue bugged me as well. The narrative shift book-ended an emotional story about growing up with a summary of how happy they all went on to be. It sort of works, but it doesn't mesh well the rest of the story.

I cried like a little girl. Not once, mind you. I was wiping tears away as I clicked on to chapter 6. I went through a box of tissues. I shit you not.

Aside from his infernal manipulation of my childhood nostalgia, the guy writes a damn good Hobbes. Calvin is exactly what he should be, and his relationship with Susie hits all the right emotional marks.

The whole story seemed right, in a rare and uncomfortable way which I don't know how to put into words.