1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

DC/Marvel-Harry xover

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by GrayFox, Nov 29, 2011.

1. The Great Pandemonium

The Great Pandemonium Fourth Year

There's Terminal Justice which is a crossover with JLU and an authorized sequel to Blot's Make a Wish. Haven't read it in a while but it was awesome.

2. GrayFox

GrayFox Slug Club Member DLP Supporter

If it is a rewrite than it will be harry/kara, however I personally feel that the author is spending to much time building non-essential characters. Like the prologue was all about Professor McGonagall. I understand she is his god-mother, but damn did she need a whole chapter.

---------- Post automerged at 10:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:22 PM ----------

It was very funny, I earned its place in my favorites.

3. Portus

Portus Heir

I always dug Dr. Strange, so I decided to give this one a try; that was a mistake. I made it about halfway thru the first chapter, and it read like something I'd have written when I was ten or twelve, which is to say bland and stupid.

4. Thaumologist

Thaumologist Fifth Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    have to say, Terminal Justice is quite easily the best I've seen so far. However, it's a MAW/JLA crossover, so really isn't for everyone.

5. GrayFox

I agree that Terminal Justice is probably the best out of all my listings, and speaking of Dr. Strange, for some reason I think that thru the life and adventures of Stephen Strange would be the best way to pull of a HP/Marvel cross without it being complete crap.

Stephen Strange is the american version of Dumbledore(Leader of the Light, Hero to the common mage, etc). While Harry is on vacation in magical america(whether by himself, with others, during hogwarts, or after), Harry assists Dr. Strange in a battle against(pulls random villain out of marvelverse) mephisto, because in typical potter fashion, Harry just happened to be standing on the street that he appears in. After the battle, immediately or after some passage of time, Dr. Strange eventually takes harry under his guidance.

During his tenure as an apprentice, they are in a battle with (insert baddie here), and Dr. Strange is killed. Harry s then nominated by magic to be the next Sorcerer Supreme. But since he never finished his training he spends time with other marvel mystic's(Dr. Voodoo, Scarlet Witch) learning. As time passes, Harry comes into his own, and becomes even better than Dr. Strange was. He might have a romance with some other character during this(if the author desires). The whole story comes to an end at the end battle where he defeats/banishes, (insert same baddie that off'd strange) and the world lives happily ever after.

Could make the same story with DC universe just sub in Dr. Fate, Zatanna, and ofcourse (Random DC Baddie).

Edit: Just realized this is basically the plot for Strange Apprentice:facepalm, So feel free to have a good laugh at me, but it could definitely be done better.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2011
  6. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

Well fuck - seems that I now ship Harry/Kara.

7. Thaumologist

High Score:
    A Life Beyond the Hallows seemed to be heading that way too, but then was stopped. Coming up to eight months of silence.

Quite a few of the fics seem to have been started by a challenge/prompt from whitetigerwolf, found here. Some of his ideas for what to add in are a bit odd (he recommends having teen pregnancies, but it doesn't have to be Harry), but it has spawned several of the already linked pieces.

8. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

Honestly, if I knew more about DC, I would write something...but I pretty much know zilcho about the comic/universe chronology, events, its fifty plus year history, etc, and brushing up on it on just a wiki wouldn't be enough.

9. Provis

Provis Second Year

That story will never be updated; it is a re-post of another author's story, and zero original content has been added by the new 'author.'

10. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

Who is the original author?

11. GrayFox

I'm going to say it, it's fanfiction. As long as you don't suddenly make batman superman's long lost twin or something like that, you should be fine. The reason I don't really write is from a lack of original ideas on my part. If you wanted to maybe you could start a story thread here and get ideas and suggestions(and beta's) from our fellow DLP users.
    I would like this answer aswell.

12. Thaumologist

High Score:

Rockthecasba, but it seems he took the story down when/after it was adopted. So no updates there then.

13. GrayFox

isn't that a song?

14. samkar

samkar Temporarily Banhammered

I liked that one too and thought it had some potential. Too bad.

15. GrayFox

just because it hasn't updated, doesn't mean it won't. I've read a few fic where the author dropped of the face of the earth, than 1 1/2 later the fic gets a random update. In-activity doesn't necessarily mean abandoned.

16. Heather_Sinclair

Heather_Sinclair Chief Warlock

I'm going to add to this a little. Marvel, DC, et al have retconned so much in the past that you could come up with something totally original and just name a character Clark Kent, add some superpowers, and have yourself a story worth reading.

Go to Comicvine or a wiki to briefly research the character for moderate believability and you're ready to go.

You cannot (it's just not possible) be any worse than some of the crap that I've read.

17. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

So just basic knowledge would suffice, so long as the actual written piece is semi-decent?

18. Mock Moniker

Mock Moniker Professor

Definitely, at least for me.
    I barely know anything about comics, but I still enjoy reading fics set in the Marvel/DC universes.

19. GrayFox

Same for me, as long as Superman and Supergirl are weakened by kryptonite, and batman is a moody @$$hole, its all good.

20. Heather_Sinclair

Heather_Sinclair Chief Warlock

It all really depends on the character. I'll use Superman for this example.

DC Comics recently retconned the whole universe... again, and called it the New 52. The new retconned Supes wears blue jeans, a short sleeve blue shirt with his S symbol on it, and a red tea cozy as a cape. It's fucking stupid looking as hell.

He's still an alien blah blah blah. He can't fly yet, only jumps and runs, and he hangs fat cat environmental abusers out of their window a hundred stories up until they confess to the crimes. The police have running gun battles with him in the middle of crowded Metroplis streets.

This shit is canon for christ's sake.

Batman, on the other hand is exactly the same as the old.

So, no, you really don't have to know much of anything to write in this universe. Make your own shit up and it will be just as believable as canon... probably more so if there's actually a good plot involved, unlike canon.