1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Evolution by Ken - T - Crest of the Stars / Banner of the Stars

Discussion in 'Anime, Cartoons, and Comics' started by Reign, Jan 27, 2012.

1. Reign

Reign Fourth Year

Title: Evolution
    Author: Ken
    Rating: T
    Genre: Sci-Fi/Adventure
    Fandom: Crest of the Stars / Banner of the Stars
    Pairings: None
    Summary: The Abh Empire faces a mysterious new enemy. Lafiel and Jinto are thrown into a chaotic war where they are unsure whom or what they are really fighting.

Link: Evolution

Evolution is a well written novel length story that captured the essence of the Abh and the nature of Lafiel's and Jinto's relationship. It has a well developed plot that could easily be considered its own arc in the Crest/Banner of the stars series. It just draws you in through all the twists and turns that the story takes. Only problem is that the anime didn't capture a sizable audience so there is very little fanfiction available. I was quite surprised when I found this extraordinary piece of literature.

This could easily be one of the best fanfiction storys I have read to date. 5/5.

Even if you haven't seen the anime or read the novels or manga you should give it a shot. The author did well in hinting and describing past events so you shouldn't be to confused about what is happening.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2012
  2. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Wow. That was fantastic. I haven't seen Crest or Banner of the Stars, but so long as you've read a few space-based scifi books then most of the setting will click into place fairly quickly. Read the brief plot summary for Crest and the novel summary for Banner to help you understand a couple of the discussions and concerns raised by some of the characters.

This is an adventure story accompanied by a very understated love story between the two protagonists which is evidently built on their friendship through the preceding novels. There's intrigue, politics, war, robots, prisoners, desperate battles, warp gates, and plenty of other scifi staples. The characters are easy to fall in love with. They're all distinct personalities and none of their actions feel forced. When one of the characters switched bodies off-screen I suspected who they really were simply through their words and actions.

Grammar and spelling is excellent.

Several of the major plot twists are quite predictable if you're familiar with the genre, but I won't spoil them here. It's still a fun read.

I think the biggest fault of this fic is the opening chapter. It takes a significant chunk of writing before the plot kicks off. Showing Lafiel and Jinto's downtime in the first chapter was a significant hurdle for me. At several points I was tempted to close the fic, but persisted reading solely because of Issola's recommendation. If you find the beginning to be too slow, just push through it until the main characters board their vessel. It doesn't take too long.

It was a delight to read. 5/5