1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Amazon Kindle Worlds- The end of fanfiction?

Discussion in 'Original Fiction Discussion' started by Hw597, May 30, 2013.

1. Hw597

Hw597 Seventh Year

I was on my journey this morning and happened across a very interesting article. The word "fanfiction" always jumps out at me when I see it in an article and this was no different.

http://metro.co.uk/2013/05/30/write...le-worlds-help-or-hinder-fan-fiction-3814096/

A short summary. The Amazon Kindle will be launching a new platform to monetize the fanfiction market. Fanfiction works will be available for download straight to a kindle. Amateur authors will earn 35% on royalties, but amazon will retain all publishing rights on works submitted.
    One of the major points of conflict is the restrictions on the content. Basically no sex or extreme plotlines. As it stands there are only three source stories that the platform will support.
    Vampire Diaries
    Gossip Girl
    Pretty Little Liars

Apparently there are more to come. But i wanted to first throw it out to you guys to gather thoughts... or future plans for an E L James esque rise to riches and fame

2. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    There's a fairly comprehensive thread already, here.

3. Chime

Chime Dark Lord

Yes, plus, I fail to see how this 'ends' fanfiction. It only ends fanfiction if you like reading fanfiction that's been scrubbed and approved by some arbitrary set of standards.

4. Hw597

Hw597 Seventh Year

Sorry slightly oblivious. I didn't notice the other thread. And as for ending fanfic, though I was being a little over dramatic, i do see it is as a problem. At its core fanfiction is about freedom and creativity, Giving a set of arbitary guidelines, standards and monetizing it limits what is possible. Take the pokemon story The Sun Soul, or Game of Champions both excellent stories withing the genre and yet a set of guidelines prohibiting excess sex and violence prob wouldn't allow them to exist.
    Hell Fifty shades of Grey, probably the most commercially successful example of what fanfiction can do wouldn't have happened under such a system.