1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

The Twilight Zone

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Andrela, Jun 5, 2013.

1. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

Is anyone else here a fan of this series?

I just started re-watching season one and it still holds up. 'Walking Distance' is my favorite episode.

[​IMG]

2. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Holy necro Batman.

But I was gonna post about the 2019 revival of the show and the search pointed out this thread, a dessicated corpse ripe for necromancy.

So, The Twilight Zone 2019. Have a Wikipedia article, but be careful, because the page details the episodes. Eight have aired so far, I've just watched the third.

Runtimes and production quality are up to modern TV standards. I actually think runtimes could be a bit shorter. Episodes 2 & 3 are both around 40 minutes and it's fine, but episode 1, at over 50 minutes, is definitely a bit bloated imo. Still, I've been enjoying the show so far. It kind of scratches the Black Mirror mindfuck itch and I gotta say, even though I saw the twist in episode 2 halfway through the episode, I still very much enjoyed it.

Of those first 3, episode 2 has been my favorite so far. Jordan Peele is the narrator and as per Wikipedia one of the creators, along with Simon Kinberg. Kinberg has been hit and miss. He's written good stuff (Mrs & Mrs Smith and yes shut the fuck up I like this movie, the RDJ Sherlock Holmes 2009 and Days of Future Past) and bad stuff (X-Men Last Stand, Fantastic Four 2015).

A more detailed mini-review for each episode.

Episode 1: The Comedian

Interesting little story, kind of a twist on the Death Note idea. Of the three episodes I've seen, this one was the weakest. Runtime is too long and I thought that it wasn't all used well, I thought some moments lacked punch. I'd have liked the episode to show more of an impact of Samir's actions and perhaps for some actual jokes instead of just the trick of "it's funny because he said the name, not because it's actually funny". The last shot of the tapestry was dope though, the implication that it's a record of all the comedians that took Wheeler's advice and erased themselves.

Episode 2: Nightmare at 30,000 Feet

I really liked this one. Like I said, I guessed halfway through that the podcast is a self-fulfilling prophecy and that Justin is the one who causes the crash by trying to prevent it--a classic time-travel tale. I suppose quite a few people familiar with the trope will at least entertain the possibility before the episode ends, so the value here comes not from the twist but the journey, and I thought it was well executed. Something about the setting and lighting really played on the creepy vibe rather well for me.

Episode 3: Replay

I suppose I'll handwave how quickly Dorian and Neil accepted the magic camcorder and it's kind of a cop out, but I enjoyed the episode for what it was, mostly because Glenn Fleshler--some will know him from S1 of True Detective--played the racist cop really well. Seriously, what a piece of shit. He just looks villanous. Not like supervillain-villanous, but just... like he's wrong.

I'll probably update later when I'm caught up on the rest of the season. S2 has already been greenlit.