1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Crossovers

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Mordecai, Jun 27, 2006.

1. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Just to note at the start, Im posting from school, where the computers suck, so if there are problems with this post thats why.

Im just wondeirng what books and/or films would make a good xover with HP?

What sort of genre do you think meshes best? Another magic reality? Or somewhere without magic?

I personally think that HP goes well with the Anita Blake series and would go well with the Merry Gentry series.

I also think that HP goes best with another series where magic is involved to some degree, which kind of gives a common factor.

What do you all think?

Mordecai

2. Lord Apophis

Lord Apophis Professor

While I agree that harry potter usually goes with somekind of supernatural series so if the series already have magic then there must be a good explanition as to why that magic is diffrent. Also I dont like Anita Blake crossovers simply because magic and such are public knowledge in the series so it would not make sense for the British Ministry of Magic to be protecting the exitence of magic from muggles.

3. Olfrik

Olfrik Seventh Year

I think it works with everything where you have the classic good and evil struggle. Though I think that the layout in Star wars is too simple, it works quite nice. Serenity is perfect for this kind of stuff, because it has practically inverted the good and the evil sides, making it more interesting.

4. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

I think when you combine different supernatural elements, you can too easily have one's "power" completely obliterate and render useless another's. Many anime's have god-like beings and ridiculously supercharged skills. Compared to Buffy's little kung fu and wooden stakes, it's not really a fair balance.

I mean, what good does jedi power and the force do when a half-squibs stunner could catch them off guard? Not to mention, you restrict audiences when you cross things over. A Harry Potter fan may have no interest in a HP/LOTR crossover and a LOTR fan may have no interest in it either. But fans of both may have a more fervent interest in a nice combination of universes. (I'm lucky enough that I have a fair amount of 'nonjon' fans who don't care about not knowing different canons and still like my own current crossover.)

Truthfully, it's more the story and plot than it is than any blanket book, style, genre, or movie would 'make a good crossover' with Harry Potter. Just be aware if you're writing one, you're thinning out your interested audience a bit.

I mean hell, if you've never read "Evil Be Thou My Good" and someone told you a Harry Potter/Hellraiser crossover would work, you'd think they were nuts. But the way it was done and how Ruskbyte wrote that fic are truly amazing. That's easily one of my most favorite fanfics ever, not just crossovers, but fanfics. And I'm still not sure anyone else could ever make a HP/Hellraiser crossover interesting to me.

5. DarthBill

DarthBill The Chosen One

I agree on most counts (*glares* nothing catches a jedi off guard), but there are definately stories that don't mesh well. Like X-Men. If you can do anything you want with a swish of your wand, why would you need mutant powers?

6. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

In my time reading, Crossover stories have to be the least amount of a genre that I've read.

I dont know why, I guess I just like reading a story with one solid world, instead of two or three. Of course, there are a few stories that have become favorites like nonjon's current story, 'Browncoat, Green Eyes' and Ruskbyte's, 'Evil Be Thou My Good'.

Browncoat, Green Eyes is a Harry Potter/Firefly cross, something most wouldnt expect to work, but it does, if the author knows what they are doing. Another decent crossover was Shezza's, 'Harry Potter and the Stargate'. I guess a main factor is the author, as well as the fandoms.

7. Hpsleuth11

Hpsleuth11 Guest

I believe if well-done and with knowledge of both worlds, a writer can achieve a great crossover story. Ive seen good Buffy crossovers, and some good Lord of the ring crossovers but at the same time i've seen terrible ones where one world engulfs the other (you either have a Harry gaining super strength and losing his magic and becoming a slayer in Buffy, or Harry as the next Gandalf in Lotr). I personally feel Buffy, and Lotr are some of the best because of the similarities in the structure and worlds. I think the best of all would be from the Riftwar and Serpentwar series but since the author doesn't allow fanfiction we shall never know.

8. Sepanto

Sepanto Groundskeeper

What I would love to read is a dragonlance\HP crossover, with the idea of parrallelign Voldemort to Raistlin, and Snape to Dalamar. Another idea I would love to read is Harry apprentencing (or being unofficialy mentored) by Raistlin.

9. zEROfrustration

zEROfrustration Second Year

Crossovers that I like with HP:
    X-Men
    SG1
    and my favourite Wheel of Time

That's my 2 cents worth.

10. Mordecai

High Score:
    ive never enjoyed the Wheel of Time series personally, so I disagree with that one. X-Men, can be good for an x-over, but it is soooo easy to do it badly that you can rarely find a good one.
    SG1, to be honest, I never really kept up to date with watching it on TV, I have seen enough to know the characters and such like, but thats, it. However, the majority if the xovers i have read using this universe have been of at least ok quality.

11. Litha Riddle

Litha Riddle Banned DLP Supporter

I'm with Sepanto in that I'd really like to see a Dragonlance/HP crossover.

Although Raistlin could whoop canon Voldemort. Voldemort would also be more fearsome allied with Raistlin.
    I'd like to see a Forgotten Realms crossover too, because the Drow are awesome. It would be a good setting for a dark Harry fic.

Litha

12. Avitus

Avitus Groundskeeper

Crossovers are completely dependant upon the writer, I've read some amazing crossovers... and I've read some insane fangirl crossovers which have no place in the UNIVERSE... (Hermione/Legolas anyone?...*shudder*). A Crossover can be an incredible thing... usually providing Harry with an escape where he can realistically build the strength he needs to fight Voldie (rather than leeching off his scar/magical maturity/discovering evil!dumbles' manipulation/getting chummy with griphook/taking a trip down Knockturn Alley/etc...) And as such, crossovers are generally looked down upon by most of this community (face it....we're almost as bad as the fangirls...except we prefer seeing Harry kick some ass...with lots of gore) because Harry seems a little "timid" GET OVER IT!! IF YOU WERE TRANSPORTED TO ANOTHER WORLD WHERE ONLY FIVE WIZARDS EXIST, ELVES ARE TALLER THAN MEN, AND EVERYONE SHITS IN THE FOREST YOU'D BE A LITTLE TIMID TOO!....er...rant overwith...anywho...

LONG LIVE THE CROSSOVER!!!

oh...back...to the.....point...of this thread...hehe..

I would say that anything with some type of magic is perfect for a crossover,.

Harry/Lotr
    Harry/Buffy/Angel
    Harry/Anita Blake
    Harry/Merry Gentry
    Harry/THE HOLLOWS!!! (i want to see this one badly!!)
    Harry/Charmed
    Harry/The Craft (interesting....i'm thinking on the fly here)
    Harry/Abhorsen Trilogy
    Harry/Bartimaeus
    Harry/Eragon
    Harry/Star Wars

And the list can go on forever! The only really important factor in writing crossovers, are plot, and melding the worlds together...if you have those two things down..you're set to write a great story.

13. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I still stick to my HP/Stargate crossovers, though Final Fantasy can make good crossovers in some situations.
    Not really a big anime fan so most of them things are lost on me and I haven't seen Serenity yet so I'll have to wait to tell if that works for me.

14. DarthBill

DarthBill The Chosen One

A crossover that I have been wondering about is a HP/Pitch Black cross. I'm not sure if anyone else has done it, nor am I sure that it could turn into anything besides crap, but it might be interesting.

15. Mordecai

High Score:
    It might be interesting, but Im not really sure that it would have any long term prospects. Perhaps as a one shot, or at most 3 or 4 chapter fic.

I remember seeing one that was a HP/Riddick fic. Not as in the ship, but as a crossover. It was set between Ptich Black and the Chronicles. It was abandoned after chapter 1 though, because of the hundred off flames the author got to the one or two positive review. The two worlds jsut didn't seem to mesh well.

16. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

There's this one about Harry as Riddick. And I think there were others somewhere else. Maybe a yahoo group. But I remember hearing about people starting this crossover.

Black Knight: The Chronicles of Potter by Azi Dahaka
    Shortly after his sixth birthday, young Harry Potter escapes the abusive Dursley household, never to be seen again. Nine years later a vicious killer with the handle Riddick rises to take his place. Problem is...Riddick doesn't want anything to do with th

17. Myst

Myst Headmaster

It would be interesting to read a HP/Eragon crossover.

18. Fuegodefuerza

Fuegodefuerza Minister of Magic

That would be good...but also kind of weird.

Case in point: Dragonmasters

Kind of the same idea, except slightly different...

*shrugs*

19. andiais

andiais DA Member

Harry Potter/Anita Blake actually does work, if it's done well. Thanks Mordecai for that link th other day, it's pretty cracking, isn't it? Otherwise, I'm not really a fan of crossovers, simply because they tend not be very well written, or at least, the ones i've looked at are pretty bad.

20. Mordecai

High Score:
    I just have to say that i think Mhalachai is probably the best xover writer I know of. I think he reallyonly writes crossovers when he does a multichapter fic, he does single universe one shots though.