1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Voldemort as the protagonist?!

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by f77, Jun 29, 2006.

1. f77

f77 Backtraced

An interesting variation of most Harry Potter fanfics would be to have Voldemort as the protagonist and the "light side" as the antagonist. So one would have to write as if the pureblooded bullshit was actually a good thing. I have never seen a fic where it is written from Voldemort's point of view. It's all about Harry bloody Potter, and that tends to get repitative.

Feel free to tell me this is a stupid idea, or this won't work but a talented author could pull it off I feel.

2. Athenia

Athenia Groundskeeper

I don't know if it would come across the way you are suggesting. There are certainly Voldemort point-of-view stories out there, just not with it being written in such a way that you should see his point of view as "right." I'm currently writing a 5 part series all about Riddle's life (Pre-Hogwarts, Hogwarts. Traveling, First War, Second War) but despite him being the focus, they are more a psycological look at his mind set.

I think even if you were to write closely to JKR's writing style it would be hard to seem like a pro-pureblood story. She doesn't exactly twist things so that we are seeing it through Harry-rose-colored glasses.

It would have to be a really propaganda-like piece if you wanted it to seem as though his views are justified and should be followed. It wouldn't be hard to make him an understandable character, but that is different than feeling as though his side of the war is the right side.

3. f77

f77 Backtraced

Exactly, that is why it would take a really talented author to completely change the reader's belief about the HP world. I am thinking of saving this and doing it when I become better in writing, but if anyone wants to take up this challenge feel free as long as you don't abandon it.

4. Shezza

Shezza Renegade 4 Life DLP Supporter

I've seen stories like that. I don't know any of their names, but I distinctly remember a story where Pureblood's had more powerful magic because of their blood, and because of the Muggleborns, magic was slowly dying away and soon there would be none left.

I don't know the name of the story, but it's been done before

5. f77

f77 Backtraced

I am thinking more of a story that doesn't have solid proof, rather it convinces the reader to believe Voldemort's point of view. The story would be effective if done in first person, I suppose. That way the reader can get inside Voldemort's thoughts making it easier to convince.

6. Fuegodefuerza

Fuegodefuerza Minister of Magic

Where is this series, Athenia? For I am most eager to read it.

Seeing as Tom Riddle/Voldemort is my favorite character, and Terrible but Great by our very own Dark Syaoran is one of my favorite stories, I would love to see some more of this type of story. I just think that he has so much untapped potential that it is just sad that no one has really written a serious fic detailing his life.

7. Athenia

Athenia Groundskeeper

Wow, teaches me to make a comment like that. You're like the third person since that post to comment. I'm a mediocre writer. I don't post any of my writing because, frankly, its not that good. In fact at this point, the only thing I am proud of in that set of stories is the title. If I can find myself a beta and can finish the third part of it (I don't want to end up abandoning a 5-story series less than half way through) I might consider it, but to be honest, you probably would be disappointed.

8. Litha Riddle

Litha Riddle Banned DLP Supporter

I second Fuegodefuerza, in that I'd love to read a fic about Voldemort/Tom Riddle.

There are not enough fics about him, which don't include him slashing Harry.

As a Slytherin I'd love to read more about what makes him tick.
    Litha

9. f77

f77 Backtraced

I will write a oneshot using this idea. It will be set in the final battle where Voldemort contemplates his past, and his reasonings while the battle is going on. He duels Harry in the end, and loses. Before Harry is about to kill him, all he can think is "I have failed..." A tragic ending if done right.

What do you guys think?

10. DarthBill

DarthBill The Chosen One

I don't think it will work. Voldemort is not right. He knows he is not right. He is the single most evil wizard to date (according to Dumbledore). Hate rules his actions and distorts him so thoroughly that his physical being reflects it. He has even spent his life chasing god-like status.

Plus, Voldemort is not a pureblood. I doubt that he believes in pureblood supremisy if that means admiting inferiority.

11. Athenia

Athenia Groundskeeper

I'm with DarthBill on this one. Any story you write where you want to get to your stated goal of an AU where the reader somehow agrees with Voldemort's point of view couldn't be done as a 3000 word pre-death revelation. It would have to start at the beginning and be really really convincing about magical theory and bloodline. But again, I don't think any person can genuinely believe that Voldemort is doing this because he believes in pureblood supremacy. He wants to be immortal. He wants to have power over others. Like any good dictator, he is using the ideologies that are hot-button issues and will get him support from the right people.

12. Nexus

Nexus Denarii Host

How are you going to explain everthing he has done till now? I dont think it will work. You can even explain the Killing curse but what about crucio? There is no way a person set out to complete a mission is going to waste time hearing somebody scream.

13. Fuegodefuerza

Fuegodefuerza Minister of Magic

Are you just going to do a view into Voldemort's mind, and not try and convince people that his motives are correct? Because if it's the former, it would be pretty pointless, and the latter just wouldn't work. Sorry, but it's gonna have to be a full, novel length story to be anything like what you originally stated.

14. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

It's not impossible to do. It'd just be difficult and a lot of people would have absolutely no interest in it.

You can twist and change every character you want, but Harry Potter is still about Harry Potter. It'd be like trying to do an alternate of Indiana Jones where you're showing how the poor nazis are misunderstood while Dr. Jones is one of the bad guys.

I've seen Voldemort more sympathetic, Voldemort as misunderstood good guy, the "light side" as the evil oppressors, etc... but I know myself, and a lot of people will have zero interest if Harry Potter isn't our protagonist and hero. Even fewer if you actually make Harry a "bad" guy.

15. Duke of Rothwood

Duke of Rothwood Professor

Actually one story that I heard about before, not sure if it was ever written or that idea was just tossed around, was where Voldemort defeated the wizarding world, however Harry and some of his follows still survived and are trying to defeat Voldemort.

Thus the roles are almost reversed, Voldemort is the ministry, whereas Harry is the 'evil person to the DE's and their children at least. I think Harry is even refered to as 'he-who-must-not-be-named' due to his slaughtering of DE's. Could be interesting, but I am not sure if it was ever written.

Also, Shezza88, I remember that story as well, does anyone have a link to it? I can't seem to find it anymore

16. Olfrik

Olfrik Seventh Year

If one would seperate the methods and the concrete goals from the underlying idea that pureblood magic is more powerful than that of mudbloods, there could very well be a valid background for Voldemorts actions. But he would still be a mad megalomaniac.

The problem would be to justify the killing etc. And that, in my opinion, would end up as the story of a psychopath in any way.

As for Harry beeing the antagonist, I must say I hate it. Harry is the main hero and I still prefer it that way. Thats why every writer shapes Harry in a specific way. Harry has made the most OOC appearances in the whole fandom world and we accept it, because we love our hero and our world revolves around Harry, whatever he does.

17. Nexus

Nexus Denarii Host

The name of this site is DARK LORD POTTER not OUR SAVIOUR TOM........ we want Harry in better roles. There have been fics where tom is actually good and helps harry but you cant have a complete role reversal.