1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Marshall Mathers LP 2

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Azira, Oct 31, 2013.

1. Azira

Azira High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Well, leaks out. How do we like it?

Rap God and Bad Guy are very good, also digging Survival and Stronger Than I Was.

2. Cyrogen

Cyrogen Second Year

In case anyone hasn't heard it here is a stream.

It's pretty good. Love Game surprised me I didn't expect it whatsoever, not too big of a fan of Kendrick's singing though its still sweet. Also I'm really digging the references to his older songs (especially the Stan sample in Bad Guy).

Better than anything he has released recently, I'm going to have to give it a few more listens before I get a real opinion.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2013
  3. Another Empty Frame

Another Empty Frame Fake Flamingo DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I typically prefer stuff identified as hip hop over rap, and while I used to really like Eminem, I only really like Recovery and Slim Shady LP anymore, what are the odds I'd like this? or what would you guys actually rate it?

4. Cyrogen

Cyrogen Second Year

You'll probably like something. There are a few songs that have a bit of a Recovery feel (not many, but they are there). Survival is probably the closest to a Recovery song you're going to get on the album. If you're even interested in it I'd give the first 30-45 seconds of each song a listen and judge from there.

I'm gonna give it roughly 8.5 or 9 out of 10. I'm enjoying it that's for certain.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2013
  5. Another Empty Frame

Another Empty Frame Fake Flamingo DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I listened to the first 6, that's it for now, it's all really good I guess but this album just isn't really for me.

6. Klackerz

Klackerz Bridgeburner

Bad Guy was fucking awesome. All the various throwback to Stan was cool.

Love Game was just a very fun track to listen to.

7. Nae

Nae The Violent

I was listening to it yesterday. All in all, pretty good album imo. Starts off strong, gets a bit weak in the middle, but then ends up in a really great way.

My Favorite so far: Bad Guy. Sequel to Stan + references to older songs + dat last verse. <3

Headlights was really surprising and amazingly done. Brainless reminded me of the old album the most. Also loved Evil Twin. So Much Better had a really catchy hook.
    Love Game feat. Lamar was tight.

Asshole could have been a great song, but the hook was terrible. 8/10
    So Far I don't know wtf was going on in this, but I liked it.
    The Monster - Might as well call it Love the way you lie, part 3.

The rest weren't really all that good imo.

Overall, great album. 8.5/10 seems good to me too.

8. BitMyFinger

BitMyFinger Banned

Oh shit. Bad Guy. I just realized it's Stan's little brother. Stan even says they meet in Denver and Em says he's going to send a signed hat, then Stan's bro throws a Broncos hat in the trunk.

9. CrippledGod

CrippledGod Banned

Had it on repeat since it leaked. I think it's brilliant, definitely 9/10.
    Rick Rubin's production and samples are awesome, Em's lyricism is in tip-top form and it's probably the most musically diverse album Em has ever made.

10. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Headlights came out of nowhere for me, really really enjoyed that.

Otherwise, it's what everyone else is saying really. I like Bad Guy, Rap God, Survival and a few others I don't remember off the top of my head.

11. enembee

enembee The Nicromancer DLP Supporter

High Score:
    How has nobody mentioned Berzerk? Best track on the album.

12. Silens Cursor

Silens Cursor The Silencer DLP Supporter

Okay, just finished writing my review of the album, will be filming, editing it, and posting it tomorrow on my channel. Quick thoughts: I really liked it, it's a great album, it's not going to make my year-end top ten list of the best albums of the year because of some bad hooks, questionable instrumentation, and Eminem's insistence on singing (he said back on 'Hallie's Song' that he can't sing, so why the fuck does he keep doing it?). It's a less subtle album than The Marshall Mathers LP and has a much lighter tone, but I can definitely appreciate him finally putting some of the subtext into text and confirming a lot of my suspicions surrounding his material.

Overall, check it out.

13. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

The original Marshall Mathers LP had a special place in my childhood, and is one of the few albums I've ever considered to be within spitting distance of a perfect 10. In light of that, the second one was guaranteed to be a bit of a let-down. What I wasn't expecting was for the let down be so dramatic. Even the stronger tracks on the album left me with a strong sense of "this is it? This is what Eminem thought worthy of appending to his strongest album? Dudebro must be going broke."

Overall: 7/10

I'm a bit low on this album. I'm okay with that.

14. Silens Cursor

Silens Cursor The Silencer DLP Supporter

15. Rubicon

Rubicon High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

I thought the studio version of Rap Game was impressive - but the live performance is unbelievable.

16. Caledfwlch

Caledfwlch Sixth Year DLP Supporter

You move around a lot, almost excessively so - especially your hand gestures. I don't think I'd notice it so much if it looked more natural.

Nae
  17. Nae

Nae The Violent

Also the eyes. Your aren't constantly focused on camera. Right in the middle of saying something, taking them off-camera is very noticeable and doesn't come off very nice.

Might be resolvable if you just let the camera focus on your face, instead of the entire torso. That way, you know that we just see your face, and it might force you to not move your eyes around too much, and it takes care of weird hand gestures. :p

Nice review, btw. :)