1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Umbreytingu by Elfpen - K+ - How to train your Dragon

Discussion in 'Television and Movies' started by Republic, Jan 15, 2014.

1. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Title: Umbreytingu
    Author: Elfpen
    Rating: K+
    Genre: Friendship
    Library Category: Other Fandoms
    Pairings:Hiccup/Astrid
    Summary: Toothless has somehow managed to get himself turned into a human. Hiccup is, understandably, having a strange day.
    Link: Umbreytingu

Alright, figured I should share some of my (however meager) findings from the HTTYD fandom. I did a cursory search for it on DLP, but didn't see it anywhere. If there is already a thread for it, point me to it.

It's about 50k words so far, but it's nearing the end.

Let me be the first to say that I find the whole 'species-bending' craze that's going on in the HTTYD fandom to be completely ridiculous and little more than an excuse for terrible slashfics. This one is the first and only fic that I have read that actually took this premise and did something good with it.

Toothless' transformation is the main mystery of the story. There is a realistic and entertaining take on what would happen in such a premise. The characterizations of Hiccup, Toothless and Astrid (the main characters), is pretty good, I think. Though the bromance can get pretty sappy a few times, it was nothing that was terribly bad or wasn't outweighed by the good parts.

There is plenty of focus given on dragon culture, and Dragonese, for which the author uses Old English.

A solid read throughout the whole of the story, with no signs of dropping in quality in the last few chapters. The author is very active and seems competent, so I have high hopes.

Read it if you like HTTYD, and are interested in the Hiccup/Toothless dynamic.

4.5/5, rounded up to 5/5

Last edited: Jan 15, 2014
  2. Invictus

Invictus Master of Death

There isn't much of a plot really. The writing is pretty good, but the idea, Toothless as human, really annoys me. But he wrote Hiccup and Toothless really, and that's a major point. This is the best HTTYD fic I've seen, by far. Because he understands Hiccup and Toothless. A fun read, but not my type of sotry. A 4/5.

3. Dark Minion

Dark Minion Bright Henchman DLP Supporter Retired Staff

And another one bumped to gain attention.

Please read and review. I'll move it in 7 days based on the aquired reviews / votes.