1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Harry Potter and the Illusions of Reality by puiwaihin - T - HP/Matrix

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by Andro, Jan 28, 2014.

1. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

Title: Harry Potter and the Illusions of Reality
    Author: puiwaihin
    Rating: T
    Pairings: Harry/Tonks
    Summary: Harry has felt for a long time that there was something strange about the Muggle world. But when he begins receiving strange messages from the notorious mass murderer, Sirius Black, he begins to wonder if the Wizarding world is what he believed it to be.
    Link: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/7370121/1/Harry-Potter-and-the-Illusions-of-Reality

So. Haven't seen this in the For Review board, in the Work by Author, or even in the last few pages of the Almost Recommended thread. But that doesn't mean it's not worthwhile.

On the negative side, there are quite a few short places where the 'production values' drop, sometimes even sharply.

And there are two other conspicuous flaws that will raise your eyebrow. I did mentally mark them as "That's kind of egregious," even though as a reader? I didn't care.

So why am I recommending this?

On the positive side, the crossover aspect with the Matrix is done masterfully. I was reading a scene as it developed into an escape sequence from Hogwarts at night, empty hallways, totally drawn in. But I had this nagging feeling... then it hit me. You know that scene in the first film where Morpheus is instructing Neo to get out of the office building by cellphone? The way it's done here is pure class. (I actually physically did the 'not bad' gesture where you quasi-duckface? while you nod approvingly.)

There are quite a few ingenious, eerie scenes in the buildup phase/first arc of the story. When you write like that, a few smudges can be forgiven.

And then it turned into a genuinely impressive, deep story when Harry's exit from the Matrix and arrival at Zion got underway.

By that point, the author just went full epic, he embraces Harry and the crew trying to figure out this crazy situation humanity is in, this teetering stalemate with the machines, conflict with the Cypherites, trying to fill the hole left by Morpheus, Neo, and Trinity. There's an especially epic speech by Sirius at some point, and another epic conversation between Harry and Sirius. Those two exchanges of just dialogue are literally standout moments in the sense you think of a climactic battle in one of the major HP fics that everyone follows.

I want to give it a full 5/5 as I tend to be forgiving to a fault of stories I like, but objectively, I'd say it's a 4/5 quality, solid story with potential to go higher.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
  2. Stormey

Stormey Groundskeeper

Just finished it. While on the whole its interesting enough, there were quite a few places, where it felt muddled. When things are not explained clearly. The fact that this fic takes place generations after the movies, and the author still reuses the names, dialogues from the movies just gets annoying.

But it was still entertaining, so I will give it 3/5. So far, I'm not quite sure where its headed, but maybe once I see where its going I might change my rating to 4.

Edit: Okay. I was wrong. For some reason I thought it only had 14 chapters. It had 18, and now its certainly got me hooked with the last chapter, although I suspect I see where its heading.

So 4/5.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
  3. Photon

Photon Order Member

In places it was transcribing the movie. I also rather disliked that it is basically Matrix fanfiction with some names changed to HP characters - that are in some cases resembling them only by name. I also wanted more HP content.

Still, it was enjoyable (but I was skimming toward the end).

2.5/5, with 0.5 as bonus for format of scene breaks.