1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

The DLP Musicals Thread - WE HAVE COOKIES

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Zeitgeist, Feb 2, 2014.

1. Zeitgeist

Zeitgeist High Inquisitor

Okay, since I don't think DLP has a musical thread on the new productions or a thread about Broadway/West End productions, I decided to create one. This thread is about new musicals, not plays, although we should have one of those too. (Chekhov's Uncle Vanya, anybody?)

Now, everybody knows about Les Mis, Phantom, and the Rodgers & Hammerstein ilk. Those are great and are classics for a reason. We can always talk about our favourite classics at another point. But the purposes of focussing the discussion, here's our current topic of discussion:

1. Are there any great, new musicals? Musicals that have only emerged in the past decade or so? What are your favourite new musicals?

For me, Matilda is a big hit, probably one of the best things to emerge from the West End. Usually, I'm not a big fan of "puerile" or "juvenile" productions because years of bad musicals at high schools have traumatised me. But hawt dang, these kids can sing. And the musical is surprisingly touching, exploring universal themes of the outsider vs the mainstream authority, bildungsroman growing-up, and education. Tim Minchin's lyrics also dazzle with meaningful puns, evinced most particularly in his song "Revolting Children".

Evidence for singing: Matilda Medley

Book of Mormon is also a big winner for me. Frozen's songs were brilliant because Disney borrowed the lyricists from that musical. Witting and scathing, the musical about Mormon missionaries in Africa delves into themes about religion with equal satire and barbed enthusiasm. The line "I'm wet with salvation" still resonates as a particularly hilarious line.

So many double entendres here: Baptize Me.

What about you, DLP?

1. Are there any great, new musicals? Musicals that have only emerged in the past decade or so? What are your favourite new musicals?