1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Hindsight Is Not Perfect By Anne Camp aka Obi-quiet - T - Star Wars

Discussion in 'Star Wars' started by Nerdman3000, Feb 8, 2014.

1. Nerdman3000

Nerdman3000 Seventh Year

Title: Hindsight Is Not Perfect
    Author: Anne Camp aka Obi-quiet
    Rating: T
    Chapters: 13
    Words: 57,089
    Updated: January 12th, 2014
    Published: May 6, 2011
    Summary: They say the road to Hell is paved with good intentions. Consequently, the road back is far harder to conquer. Now Anakin has to face everything he's become, avoid suspicion and still somehow balance the Force too...again. Time Travel Anakin/Vader
    Link: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/6969605/1/Hindsight-Is-Not-Perfect

And it's sequel:

Title: The Dangers of Foresight
    Author: Anne Camp aka Obi-quiet
    Rating: T
    Chapters: 3
    Words: 17,373
    Updated: February 6th, 2014
    Published: January 12th, 2014
    Summary: Anakin's 9 years old again and back at the Temple, bound and determined to change destiny. To do so, he has to juggle trying to stop Dooku from joining Sidious, freeing his mother, avoiding Palpatine, and his training all while maintaining his cover as a 9-year-old initiate. Too bad keeping up a facade isn't one of his strong points.
    Link: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10017610/1/The-Dangers-of-Foresight

The basic premise is that after the end of Return of the Jedi, Anakin/Vader's memories are sent back to the past before the Phantom Menace and he basically has to try and adapt while not falling back to the dark side of the force and becoming Vader again. It might seem silly but it's actually really good, and somewhat realistically portrays what would happen if to Anakin if this premise actually took place. He's not an instant good person because he saved Luke from the Emperor but is actually a very conflicted person who is struggling with what has happened to him.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2014
  2. Lyrium

Lyrium Sent Back to India

I've read the first five chapters of Hindsight is Not Perfect and I like it so far. It's more realistic with Anakin struggling with who he was and who he wants to be. The writing is decent and time isn't wasted on extraneous nonsense. Also Jar Jar is really annoying, somehow even more than in the movies.

3. Platypus

Platypus Groundskeeper

I was surprised to see this recced here. The concept is fine, with a couple of logical but unique twists that I enjoyed, but the writing is more awkward and clunky than The Phantom Menace itself. Especially the dialogue. I'm giving it a 2/5.

4. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    So far this seems very good, but I will need to read all of it before rating. And that might be a while.

Edit: okay, I read it. Better than I expected, easily 4/5. Library pls.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
  5. A Lightning

A Lightning Seventh Year

I'm not somebody that's usually bothered too much by awkward writing/dialogue, but it was noticeable in this fic.

Despite that, I enjoyed the story itself enough to give a rating of 3.5/5, rounded up to 4.

6. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Some of the talking and introspection scenes really drag. And the angst, while expected, is overdone. Some of Anakin's decisions don't make much sense to me, especially regarding his mother and Palpatine.

Anakin comes across as more of a precocious and angsty child than the reborn bad-ass Vader that he is.

And he's totally obsessed by his mother's and Padme's smiles.

tl;dr: characterisation isn't very good.

Much of the story is enjoyable but its flaws detract.

3/5.

7. Ayreon

Ayreon Unspeakable DLP Supporter

This is also my impression.

He's supposed to be Darth -fucking- Vader! Yes, he's a bit reformed now and occasionally someone else says things like "He's sure ordering people around a lot.", but he still seems like an angsty Harry Potter.

He is a 50 (?) year old badass who fought and (ended) wars, the right hand of the Emperor for decades and this is what he has to show for it?

Seemed kind of lame.

Also, I expected some of the plotholes of the prequels to be fixed in a fic like this. Instead I just have to imagine that the force made them do it everytime there is a dumb decision.

I haven't read that far in yet, so I won't rate it right now, but it doesn't seem that great. Maybe it's just hitting my particular pet peeves.

8. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

Completely agree with what you guys are saying. The problem with any reformed Vader fic is Anakin is either super angsty, or the Sith were misunderstood all along and he stays one.

I have no doubt he'd feel a ridiculously high level of awkwardness and discomfort from being in the same room as his mother. Accepting a hug from her and playing the loving son? I don't think he could manage that. Not being a 50 year old mass murderer and all round badass.

I'd much rather he have chosen the route where he decides to fight Palpatine on his own. There was even a good opportunity after his berserker moment on Naboo for him to go on his own. He shouldn't have been able to just waltz back into the Jedi after that point.

Nonetheless though, this is my favourite time travel Star Wars fics so far. Nothing has really pulled it off in a way that's not super angsty, but this is still managing to be enjoyable as a guilty pleasure. I kinda like the line Anakin is treading.

I'm kinda hoping Siri wakes up at one point too with her future memories. Throw a bit more awkwardness in.

3/5. Not quite library material, but enjoyable anyway. It's one of those time travel fics that basically have the protagonist have almost everything go his way.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2014
  9. Nuhuh

Nuhuh Dastardly Shadow Admin Retired Staff

This one was a decent read. It's a difficult thing the writer set out to do and isn't entirely successful. Anakin's past isn't a blank slate but in some ways it is? It's hard to say. Personally I find the entire premise a bit annoying, since I think he's an irredeemable character. But getting past that this isn't a fic that tries to show him as some poor wayward soul, which I like.

There are some plot devices I find jarring, like the whole younger Obi Wan angle. This falls in the 3/5 category for me. Will read when it's updated but wouldn't care if it wasn't updated.