1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

SPOILERS! Captain America - Winter Soldier review

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Starwind, Mar 26, 2014.

1. Starwind

Starwind Headmaster

I liked it, but not sure I believe that Hydra could've gotten so deep to be honest, but I suppose they could've.

One thing I also had to suspend my disbelief, I know Natasha's a super spy, but her figuring out where Steve hid the USB was pretty sharp/and very easy.

Curious if they actually got rid of SHIELD with all that information being avaliable.... and how that will effect stuff like AoS now.

Also with all that information out, registration act could be used in the next film maybe.

I like all the political stuff tbh, and how they even tied it in with people we've seen before, the bald dude, the senator from IM2...

The little hint that Hydra mightve killed Howard was pretty awesome.

Natasha seemed more outgoing compared to Avengers in this, which I figure is because Clint was in danger in Avengers. Natasha figuring out who Peggy was from the photo was pretty cool too.

Maria starting at Stark Industries?

All those Stark references/one Strange reference was awesome.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2014
  2. Krogan

Krogan Alien in a Hat ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I sincerely hope the registration act never makes it into the films in any way. The Iron Man movie version is the only one I can enjoy anymore. I don't care what explanation is given, as far as Im concerned comic book Iron Man can eat all of the dicks and die in a dark hole somewhere.

3. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I felt they could have done more with the Winter Soldier. They laid a few seeds for development, but he was little more than an excuse for Cap to emote in a couple of scenes. Badass, sure, but lacking in depth. I'm sure he'll be built on in future installments, but as far as the film named after him goes, he didn't have much impact. Pierce was more interesting as a villain, but still a little meh.

The SHIELD = HYDRA plot was interesting. Not sure I bought it completely, and it effectively removed about 90% of the ambiguity from the start of the film, moving it more from "How do we resolve upstanding morality with the murky world of espionage" to "Oh, they're all bad guys, blow 'em all up and start again", which was awesome but eh.

That said, I found Cap himself much more interesting and engaging than I did in either of his previous appearances, and infinitely more impressive. I really bought him as a flat out badass who could command others from spies to 'gods' this time around. Black Widow was odd; seemed to be a very different character to her previous appearances, much more playful and human, but that might be deliberate, given the whole issue of whether Steve can trust her. It was great, but did feel like a bit of a digression in interpretation. Falcon was the shit. Breakout character for sure. The action scenes were incredible, the script was great - smart, pulpy in the best way, and funny - and it was all basically just a huge amount of fun.

The teaser was very intriguing. If SW and QS got their powers from HYDRA experimenting with Loki's staff (is that Asgardian or Chituri in design? Not that it really matters, I guess), then could they introduce other mutant characters that way? And given that they're HYDRA experiments, and I think HYDRA have been confirmed to be involved with Avengers 2...Zola's algorithm is the basis for Ultron.

4. Erandil

Erandil Minister of Magic

Ok I liked the movie, found it vastly better than the first but that bunker scene really bugged me. First they have to use an elevator but after the rocket hits the hole only looks like 10 meters deep.

5. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

And now we have to wait until August 1st for the Guardians of the Galaxy movie.

Four long months. Fuck.

6. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Think the introduction of SW and QS allows for some xmen interaction in later avengers movies?

Or do their relations not really involve themselves in their lives...

Dunno why I'm being vague, the thread is spoiler tagged.

7. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I would think that if his kids were locked in a bunker somewhere being experimented on, Magneto would be raising enough holy hell to make his previous activities look like a child's temper tantrum :/ .

8. Sauce Bauss

Sauce Bauss Second Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Why would you think that? It's not like Maneto would be sensitive about children being separated from their parents and experimented on by Nazis.

9. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    No, because Fox owns the X-Men rights. As I understand it, Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch can't be mutants, and won't have any relation to any X-Men characters in this universe. They only reason they can be used at all is because they apparently fall under both the X-Men and the Avengers (which is why both the new X-Men movie and the new Avengers movie will be using them).

If Fox relinquishes or loses control of the X-Men then I guess Marvel could make their own movies with them, but until then, no crossovers. And I think that's good, but whatever.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2014
  10. Jeram

Jeram Elder of Zion ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    100% accurate. That's why they explicitly don't say "mutants" ever in the MCU, and even sometimes when it's funny, like in the midcredits scene.

11. Eyron

Eyron Seventh Year

Watched it on Thursday night. I thought they really developed Cap's character well. I'm getting nervous though... the familiar events leading up to Cap's assassination in the comics all showed up in this film: Agent 13 aka Sharon Carter. Brock Rumlow (guy who assassinates Cap), Arnim Zola, and lastly Bucky. When he disarms Cap and takes the shield to throw it back at him during the fight, it felt like a foreshadowing. Bucky replaces Steve as Captain America after his assassination. Chris Evan's contract ends at Captain America 3, while Sebastian Stan has a 9 movie contract. They've set him up to his eventual death...

12. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I do not like that line of thought.

13. Eyron

Eyron Seventh Year

Unfortunately it's looking more and more like it's going to happen. Chris Evans wants to quit acting after his contract is up, so it looks like his death is way out for him.

14. Gengar

High Score:
    I could have sworn Evans said somewhere that he doesn't actually want to quit acting, just direct as well.

15. Lion

Lion Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Loved the movie, and all of the dropped hints about the Marvel universe at large. I liked Winter Soldier in this, since he's one of my favorite in the Marvel universe, and his reveal got everyone in my theater shouting. I liked the end when they showed his file and gave a hint towards him being created by the Russians, because a Hydra origin just isn't as badass.

Also the after credit scenes, getting me pumped for Avengers 2 and Captain America 3.

16. Gengar

High Score:
    God i hate it when ppl shout in cinemas.

17. Lion

Lion Denarii Host DLP Supporter

You would have hated the one I was in then. Tons of clapping and shouting every time Cap did something.

18. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

Correction, his contract ends with Avengers 3, similar to Robert Downey Jr. That said I wouldn't be completely surprised if both of them (and maybe Thor too) went in a heroic sacrifice moment in that movie.

I would even say that I'm kind of convinced they will do that, especially if Whedon direct it. Since these actors are leaving anyway, they may as well go with a bang and lots of feels from fans.

19. silverlasso

silverlasso Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Let me first state that I really liked the movie. That being said, I'm finding it hard to suspend disbelief when there are all of these world-ending scenarios and a single Avenger has to save everyone. Where was everyone else? There's no real solution to this; you can't make every Marvel movie an Avengers movie, after all. It's just a mild annoyance I had to get off my chest.

Anyways, good movie, and I'm excited to see what comes next. (hopefully a decade of great movies)

20. Gengar

High Score:
    Lol, I was definitely wondering where the fuck Stark was during the whole helicarrier mess.