1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

A fanfic writer's rant

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by draco664, Jul 9, 2006.

Not open for further replies.
  1. draco664

draco664 Fourth Year

Sometimes, I seriously worry about the human race.

Sure, stupidity takes many forms, from the terminal, darwin award winner, to obnoxious bigotry to simple things like "don't lick the knife".

But just how many people out there read a work of fiction and instantly decide that the views/thoughts/bigotries of the main character are the views/thoughts/bigotries of the author?

For Fsck's sake, I've had so many people bash me personally for the views of a character of mine that it has ceased to be amusing. Even the polite reviews that gently admonish me for daring to write something that could offend some people is now seriously pissing me off.

Now, I've been told that I should put a disclaimer at the top of the offending chapter saying that My views != My character's views.

Why should I? Is it that damned difficult for people to realise that fiction is exactly that? Non-fact!

Bah, it's days like this that I wonder why I bother putting my efforts up on the net for other idiots to enjoy.

(a seriously pissed off)
    Draco

2. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Hey man, ignore the masses, for they are but sheep to us gods.

Seriously though, common sense isn't, and you can't expect people to behave in a perfect way, because its jsut not feasible.

The fact is though, that many authors simply off load their views onto their characters, only the higher quality writers avoid that..

You are of course, one of those higher quality writers, as are many here, but those folk who bash you about it, they probably honestly believe that they are reading your views, because thats what they would be wth many other authors.

3. Cervus

Cervus Raptured to Hell

I'm expecting to get a few reviews of this type when I get round to releasing my new story because of the way one of my OC characters acts. Some readers seem to automatically assume that the views of the writer have been infused into the characters, but that is far from the truth in my case and many others.

I don't think there's much we can do to stop it though. People will always jump to conclusions and that's not our fault but theirs.

4. carnivalofcarnage

carnivalofcarnage Second Year

That's the problem with OC's. Whenever authors include one they generally do have them reflect their views and act they way they do (building on personal experience and all). Or at least they have them act like they would like to be in reality (if they had the guts). That's one of the main reasons that I generally don't like OC's.

That being said there's no way around the fact that the majority of the population is stupid (for lack of a better word) and a bad review should not deter you from writing. In fact I can almost guarantee that that sort of review will offer nothing in the form of constructive criticism. Even if someone is genuinely offended by something your character says (and can't figure out that you don't share its views) do you really want that sort of people reading your story???

5. draco664

draco664 Fourth Year

I can see the idea that the OC's reflect the author's opinion (though I've never done that myself. I prefer to make OC's that create tension in a story. You know, advance the plot, that sort of thing... :D ) but the incident that set off my rant was in JP (http://draco664.fanficauthors.net/Journeyman_Potter/Things_are_different_overseas.php)

I have Harry (who has had no religious upbringing whatsoever) laugh at the Catholic church about things that he is rather ignorant about. For whatever reason, a lot of people have assumed that these views are mine.

Well, I've left review responses over the past few months that have basically said that exact thing. Basically, 'if you can't grasp the idea that my views are not equal to my characters' views, then stop reading'. But the emails and bashing just keeps coming in. :wall:

Maybe I am a bigot. I hate stupid people.

Draco

6. Mrriddler

Mrriddler High Inquisitor

Somewhere high, somewhere low and somewhere in bet
    I guess I should be scared given how my characters and OCs are likely going to be a lot nastier/bigotted/and dare I say racist?

Not sure what to say to you, Draco664, other than give these inferior fools the snub. :p And personally I thought the dig against the catholic church was very tame.

I checked the post you were referring to. This guy knows how to use the word "germane" in context, so he's not "that" much of an idiot I suppose. But for my curiosity's sake... he called himself "Dave McCombs". I do hope he was just being an ass and is not related to the actual "McComb duo". :p

7. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

As far as I'm concerned, anything you do can be forgiven. You killed Snape. :)

...Now if only I could persuade you to do another Harry/Cho fic sometime...

8. World

World Oberstgruppenführer DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I guess that in that case, it's not being stupid, but being uselessly offended over something like that is ... well ok, it is being stupid.

I must say, I'm generally annoyed by people being offended over some kind of tripe. I remember reading that someone changed his nickname from 'Tsunami', because someone was offended by it. I mean, wtf? Are they offended when the news report something about Tsunamis? Should Rain change her name because people have drowned in the past? Respect for the dead is well and nice, but sometimes people are just being bitches.

And being offended by something that a fictional character says is just :wall: I've yet to hear someone be offended by something Draco Malfoy says though...

9. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Honestly, when I read that chapter, I thought these views were yours too.

I guess it's just that 1st person POV. After awhile, you simply forget that it's Harry who's speaking and start imagining it's either you (if you're agreeing with character's actions and opinions) or the author (if you're disagreeing). Without a constant reminder of "Harry said" and "Harry thought", it's easy to forget the line between characterization and personal views.

10. draco664

draco664 Fourth Year

You know, that just may be the thing I needed to hear. Maybe it is because it is a 1st person fic that people are making that mistake. But for the next chapter, where Harry makes a fairly large mistake based on the fact that he has a primary school education in the muggle world (how many gases could you name at 10?), I imagine that I'll get a fair few idiotic reviews as well.

Still, I was educated at a religious, private school (a public shool, for those in the UK), and being accused of ignorance about religion is a bit irritating. It is hard enough to write a character whose values are different to your own, let alone write a character who is ignorant about something you know about.

(On the flip side, I imagine it would be impossible to write a character who is an expert on something you are ignorant about. At least, to write them *well*)

Draco

11. Myst

Myst Headmaster

Interesting. One of my Naruto fics has a few number of OC's. Luckily I managed to infuse personalities no where near mine.

Masses just love to assume. Its what a typical human is good at, assuming.

12. Shezza

Shezza Renegade 4 Life DLP Supporter

Without even reading the reviews or anybody elses comments, I can immediately guess that you've had problems about the Catholic Church in your story.

I don't understand why people get so offended about writers using the Catholic Church in stories. What is it about the Pope and the Church that make it so...untouchable? Sure, you could say that it's a religious thing, but in today's society when do we start respecting religion?

It's like a couple of people ringing up Channel 10 (Aussie TV Station) and complaining that the Simpsons bagged the Church. They probably did, but is that going to stop them? It's in the name of entertainment and parody!

And what makes the Catholic Church better than the other religions everybody bags? Islam is always belittled and spat on as a fanatic religion, but I tell you, I was once part of a school exchange with an Islamic school, and the people there were hardly different from us. They're not terrorists or evil fanatics. I know a Bhuddist who is always laughed at, even struck at, becuase they know that he can't do anything back. I do refugee tutoring with school with African migrants, and I can tell that their just like everybody else I know, despite their religion. If people read FanFiction stories that has Harry becoming a Bhuddist (Yes, I've seen one of those long ago) or a Muslim (Haven't seen on of those actually), do you think people will get upset and offended? I doubt it. Catholicism has no more rights that any other religion.

Anyway, this has turned into a little bit of a rant. Draco664, if people are complaining about the Church in your stories...and I have no doubt they are, I remember getting flamed heavily just for mentioning the Church in passing, then tell them to stop reading your stories. If they're that concerned about the Church's image and teachings, then they shouldn't even be reading Harry Potter...remember, it's "Evil!" as so many priests and bishops have said, even the new Pope.

13. Master Slytherin

Master Slytherin Headmaster

If I were you, I'd be proud. Look at it this way: you've written your fic in such an engaging way that readers feel a whole host of emotion when reading it - including anger. If Feltonsboi234 wrote about what you did, they'd probably get nothing in reply. Bu you managed to rile people up (by the sound of things) - and that's just good writing.

Personally, I never associate 1st person with the author's thoughts and opinions, more my own. That could be the problem.

I never saw it as possibly offensive - the Pope was depicted in quite a positive way. Some people need to grow up.

14. KeshinNoAkui

KeshinNoAkui Seventh Year

Or some people need to realize that it's someone elses opinion and either drop the issue, or prepare to be ignored.

I myself don't care if the author puts their views on things in stories, simply because it ain't gonna influence me to agree with them. That said, I might agree with them for different reasons, if they share the same view on an issue as me.

15. draco664

draco664 Fourth Year

Worse than that. Harry nicks something from the private papal store of dark artifacts.

:D You know, that's a nice bastardly touch. I like it. You wouldn't happen to be a sysadmin, would you?

Draco

16. Chilli

Chilli Seventh Year DLP Supporter

It depends on how they've done it. I didn't see anything insulting in Draco's story (which I love, by the way :)) . To me, the separation between author-views and character-views was quite clear.

However, it is often the case that authors use their books as soapboxes. Tom Clancy is a good example of that. I don't remember now what it was that he was promoting, but I do remember that I stopped reading him because the plot came second to his "preaching".

17. Jeram

Jeram Elder of Zion ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    You know what - they're all right. Authors NEED to use their works as soapboxes, because it's a way to get their ideas out there besides just yelling on streetcorners. Of course, there's a difference between subtle inclusions and blatant ones, but in your case, your stories are so different that I honestly never thought that Harry's thoughts were "yours" - but that's just my perspective.

Anyway, keep writing if that's what you want - us readers will be more than happy to read more.

-J

18. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

Draco:

I've been reading your reviews for the chapter and found myself wanting to slap a couple of the reviewers.

Think of it this way -- if they can't appreciate a minor jab at an organization responsible for mass murder, extortion, and just about every other crime in existence; then they need to take a long hard look in the mirror and then get some hormone stabilizing pills.

EDIT: And if it was just Harry making a more or less ignorant comment about an organization he knows jack about as you have said, then I want to punch the reviewers instead. Seriously, if fanfic authors views were 100% reflected through their characters then I would be a necrophiliac rapist who's into sadism and animal sex... Or if my views were reflected 100% in my original stuff I would be a violent anarchist with a penchant for racism. Your reviewers just need to grab a glass of "Shut The Fuck Up" and chug it all.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2006
  19. Contempt

Contempt Third Year

[​IMG]

A little love message for your reviewers Draco ;)

20. DarthBill

DarthBill The Chosen One

I read that review, and he sounds like an ass who is trying not to sound like an ass so that he will be taken seriously.

Besides, Harry seems to be angry at anyone who even looks at him funny. I can't imagine that a religion that condemns witchcraft would excape his ire.

Not open for further replies.