1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Party Like It's 1998 by hiddenhibernian - T

Discussion in 'Trash Bin' started by ScottPress, Apr 8, 2014.

1. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Title: Party Like It's 1998
    Author: hiddenhibernian
    Rating: Fiction T
    Genre: Romance/Humor
    Words: 17,808
    Library Category: either Romance or Humor, but I think Romance is a better fit since it's the more important theme
    Pairings: Harry/Ginny, Hermione/Neville
    Summary: "Still, nil desperandum. I heard Aberforth Dumbledore's goat died; now that's someone who'd consider you quite the catch," Malfoy added. Neville wondered how long you'd get in Azkaban for strangulation. It's New Year's Eve 2001 and there's a party in Grimmauld Place. Something is up with Ginny, and Neville is even more oblivious than usual. Life after the war isn't exactly perfect.
    Link: FanFiction.Net

I'm not just posting this here because I'm credited as a beta-reader. I really think it's a good story.

On the technical side, writing is good. I read it again after it was posted in the final form and found no jarring mistakes and I'm usually pretty anal about this stuff.

The story says what it wants to say without rushing or artificially stretching things out. Those that aren't turned off by the pairings will find good canon characterizations of everyone involved (I don't know how prevalent DLP's animosity towards Ginny still is). Romance is not as in-your-face as in HBP, which I find to be a good thing. Last but not least, there are some great laughs, an example of which is in the summary. I rate this a solid 4/5 because I don't usually read post-Hogwarts romance stories and I was pleasantly surprised.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
  2. gbbz

gbbz Professor

Disregarding the post, the first thing that popped into my mind was this: Amish Paradise

"But tonight we're gonna party like it's sixteen ninenty nine"

Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
  3. pidl

pidl Groundskeeper

Liked it, though I'm not sure what the author has against Alicia.

The 'plant' comment was rather out of place since she wants to date Neville.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2014
  4. Jibril

Jibril Headmaster

My suspension of disbelief died when they could not throw Malfoy out of a party, to which he wasn't invited, because he would sue. After that I dropped it.

5. Corellon

Corellon Second Year

It worked well at what it is: a bit of a character study and an ending that more of us can relate to. Similar to that picture of the members of Mass Effect having a party, instead of the ending we got, I guess.

I enjoyed it. 4/5 for not being amazing, but a good way to spend some time, if that's what you're looking for.

6. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I brought that point up when I was beta'ing - it just seemed stupid. Still, the author made his decision and I sure as hell wasn't going to tell him how to write his stuff.

7. 0jordinio0

0jordinio0 Seventh Year

Suspension of disbelief, yeah.

Tequila shots? 'Crush' - American term. And yeah, the not being table to toss Malfoy out thing had me shaking my head and closing the page down. It's just a bad plot-point to keep the little ferret around.

It's like a crappy rendition of 'Friends' except with the Harry potter cast. Literally, with Malfoy mouthing off and none of them even man enough to throw a bloody punch.

Technical writing is pretty good but other than that it sucks.