1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Pokemon OU Tournament 2014

Discussion in 'Pokémon' started by Vira, May 2, 2014.

1. Vira

Vira Third Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Oh look, it’s tournament time.

[​IMG]
    Shitty banner, by me.

Overview.

This tournament will be played on Pokemon Showdown, not Pokemon Online. Sorry, PO, you’re old news. Each tournament match will be out of three rounds. So if I’m battling Lungs, we would fight three times. The winner moves on to the next round, the loser is out. When the match is over, post in the thread of your results.

Getting Onto Showdown.

If you haven’t played on Showdown before, here’s what you do. In the main page, there will be two options, Install and Online. Click Online, no need to install. In the upper right corner there’ll be a button called Choose Name. Click it and put in your DLP name with the DLP acronym, like so: DLP Vira. One you’ve got your name, it’s time to build a team. The Team Builder is on the left hand side. Click new team and for format, choose [None].

Now click +Add Pokemon and choose your team. As a tip, after you choose your movesets, clicking EVs will show you some suggested spreads for a Pokemon. You don’t have to use them, but they’re there if you need them. There’s also Smogon for general competitive battling usage, but they have yet to set up individual Pokemon guides for XY, so some sets may be out of date.

Once you've gotten your team, it’s time to test it out. Exit the Team Builder and it’ll take you back to the main page. On the upper left is your battle preferences. If you can force your team down to OU tier for this, it’ll make it easier to test, but go to Ubers if you want. The Ubers tier is on the table because the OU tier has banned some Pokemon I’m allowing. Either way, choose from format to XY OU or XY Ubers. There’s also Random Battle for a match with random Pokemon and movesets if you want to try out new Pokemon and sets. One you’ve gotten your format, make sure your team is selected and go Look For a Battle.

When it comes to battling other DLP members, you have to do something different. On the left of your browser are the servers. Choose the top-most one, the Lobby. A member list is to the side. Click on a name and Challenge them.

Rules.

1. Your battle will be played on Pokemon Showdown, not Pokemon online. There’s no benefit from playing on PO, Showdown is really easy to navigate and use.

2. Once the tournament is in play, no watching other people’s battles. This is to keep everyone’s movesets and items secret. However, I will post everyone’s team (six Pokemon names) before the tournament starts. You may watch other DLP members battles before the tournament starts.

3. No evasion moves of any kind, and no one-hit KO moves. The Sleep Clause is already installed in Showdown. I'm not sure if Showdown will even let you play with evasion moves.

4. Banned Pokemon: Arceus, Blaziken, Darkrai, Deoxys, Deoxys-a, Deoxys-S, Dialga, Giratina, Giratina-O, Groudon, Ho-Oh, Kyurem-W, Lugia, Mewtwo, Palkia, Rayquaza, Reshiram, Shaymin-S, Xerneas, Yveltal, Zekrom.

5. Banned Abilities: Moody.

6. Banned Items: Bright Powder, Gengarite, Kangaskhanite, Soul Dew.

7. Don’t be poor sports. If you lose, you lose. If you have a complaint, bring it to me, but it better not be because a Togekiss flinch-haxed you to death. Please inform me if someone is battling with illegal Pokemon or items.

8. Have fun! <3

I’ve PMed the people who signed up last thread. Please confirm your spot in here by PMing me your full teams. By full teams, I mean their species, items, abilities, natures, movesets, and EV spreads. Signups will close on May 15th, which is the last day you can PM me your team. You may alter your team through this sign ups period, so you don’t have to send it to me right away.

If there’s anything I’m missing in this post, please inform me so I can fix it. If you have any comments, questions, or concerns, ask me.

Last edited: May 3, 2014
  2. Vesvius

Vesvius High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Alright! This is on!

Damn, Gengarite is banned. Thought it might be, but that means I can't recreate the glory of my shiny MegaGengar for you all to see. A loss to humanity, I'm sure.

Will test out my team line up for a few days before sending it. But I'm definitely still in.

3. ChaosGuy

ChaosGuy Unspeakable

But I can still use x6 Smeargles with each having multiple protect type skills right?

4. fire

fire Order Member

Never dreamt that I would see that day when Charizard was an S-tier OU pick capable of immolating his way through swaths of the metagame.

5. Rah

Rah Death Eater

I'm so ready for this, gonna spend the week after exams making the perfect team!

Also, fire, does this mean that the 6 charizard team from my childhood is finally viable!!

6. Vira

High Score:
    Species Clause is in effect unless it's a team of six Mamoswines, which will certainly propel you into glory.

7. thisperson

thisperson Denarii Host DLP Supporter

I'm going to look at this and then sign up. Can't remember the type weaknesses.

http://pokemondb.net/type

Edit: You said brackets but my text shows DLP Vira. So would the name be [DLP]Vira or DLP Vira?

8. Vira

High Score:
    Sorry, forgot to edit that part. It's no brackets, so DLP thisperson.

9. thisperson

Ok, I have selected my team. It is: Charizard-Mega-Y, Kyurem-Black, Sylveon, Conkeldurr, Scizor-Mega and Espeon.

I'm DLP thisperson. I will battle you all tomorrow!

10. Vira

High Score:
    It's actually impossible to have two megas on your team. You can only have one.

11. thisperson

12. Rah

Rah Death Eater

That because the Pokemon don't start out in mega form, they transform during the battle. So you could have two Pokemon capable of mega evolving but you could only let one of those Pokemon mega evolve in any given match. Having two possible mega evolutions isn't necessarily bad, it opens up more flexibility in you team though it sacrifices one item slot more than necessary.

P.S. This is based off the workings of the game and the information you have us. It might be that Pokemon Showdown operates in a different way than I am assuming when regarding mega Pokemon.

13. thisperson

14. Wynter

Wynter Order Member

So Protect is banned then?

15. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Don't see why it would. It's not an evasion move and none of the other rules cover it.

16. Wynter

Wynter Order Member

No worries then, wasn't sure by definition of 'evasive'.

17. Vira

High Score:
    Protect isn't banned. When I mean evasion moves, I mean moves that lower accuracy and heighten evasion.

Having two Pokemon capable of going Mega is fine. I completely forgot you could do that. <_<

Also, when you're sending in your teams, I mean full teams. Not just their species, but their items, movesets, abilities, nature, and EV spread. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

18. South of Hell

South of Hell Third Year

Yeah, I think you should just award the trophy to me now.

My handle is Mr. Petrucci

19. thisperson

20. mknote

mknote 1/3 of the Note Bros. DLP Supporter

Hmmm, meditate on this, I must. Enter, I will, but with what team?