1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Godzilla Spoilers

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by ray243, May 19, 2014.

1. ray243

ray243 Seventh Year

Just saw the new Godzilla movie. A pretty decent flick, though I really wish they make more effort to make the human characters more interesting. It was a little disappointing that we do not get to see much of the fight between Godzilla and the Mutos though.

2. Russano

Russano Disappeared

I enjoyed it. Really great and entertaining visuals, like most of the movies from the new disaster genre. Seems like a pretty good guilty pleasure pic.

3. Deliste

Deliste First Year

Saw it last night, did not like it. "Parasites" 70% the size of its host, temporary EMP effects, the government filing away a giant egg , one that feeds off radiation IN a radiation storage facility, and the human storyline I literally could not have cared less about, I was fine with it all because I figured it was just an excuse for giant monster fights and I could live with that...if I got more than 5 minutes of giant monsters fighting that is.

4. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

I don't think I will watch Soldierzilla, it has too many soldiers and not enough Godzilla.

5. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    This movie made me fall in love with two things: helicopter-based establishing shots and Elizabeth Olsen.

6. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Fuck this movie. Trailers and everything else led me to believe that Bryan Cranston would be the human lead. His role was easily the best acted. Aaron Taylor-Johnson performed with all the talent of a particularly snoozy block of wood, especially once he put the soldier pants on.

And of course this movie's biggest fail - give me the fucking Godzilla, goddammit. They tease and tease and we only get one proper battle at the end. When you put Godzilla on the poster and name the film after him, you show Godzilla, not American soldiers discussing their brilliant plans. While the monster brawls weren't tragic, and the nuclear breath was awesome, when it comes to monster movies, I'll take Pacific Rim over this disappointing, falsely advertised and--what is probably it's biggest sin--boring film any day. Seriously, if you just edited all the monster parts and maybe the HALO jump together, you'd have a better movie.

Just CGI, even if it's great, does not a good movie make.

EDIT: Not to mention they just wasted Ken Watanabe.

/rant

Last edited: May 21, 2014
  7. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    There are previous Godzilla movies where he appeared for less time. Hell I think he appeared in this one for longer than he did the original movie. At least the scenes he was in were good.

I think the movie's biggest sin is that the main characters never really had control over events. If they'd just sat back and let the MUTOs rampage around Godzilla probably would've sorted them out even without their involvement.

Say what you will about this movie but I think it's still better than the majority of the Japanese movies.

8. D-Sloopo

D-Sloopo Second Year

10/10 movie. Made me go out and buy the original godzilla the day after. Was everything I wanted and more.

9. Striker

Striker What's up demons?

Sitting in the theater and watching the credits right now. Initial thoughts are that Godzilla's finishers on both MUTOs were awesome, I'm kinda sad Mothra wasn't in this one, and thank god there were so many scenes with the wife and son because I had to piss like a motherfucker about halfway through the movie.

I'll give it a 4/5, only because the human element of the plot wasn't interesting or important enough to warrant the screentime it got, and Cranston really should have lasted longer than he did.

10. meev

meev Groundskeeper

There weren't though. And the ones there were also really short.

Seriously, it had probably the least intrusive human element of any Godzilla movie ever made. They were totally boring characters though. Basically everyone except Cranston were robots.

11. Striker

There were enough for it to become a noticeable drag, for me at least. And they were long enough that I could run to the restroom and back without missing anything of importance which isn't super short. But you're right that there wasn't as much of it as past 'Zillas. I just really hope that wooden characters don't become the norm for future Kaiju flicks.

12. Lord Raine

Lord Raine Disappeared DLP Supporter

Congratulations on not having an opinion of your own and voluntarily depriving yourself of a good experience in a pathetic attempt to look cool. Nobody cares.

Stop talking, Scott. You aren't in daycare anymore. You should know that trailers always lie. If you still haven't figured it out when Hollywood has been doing it for decades, and a number of really high-profile movies have pulled that trick in this year alone (wow that awesome looking fight with Rhino sure was amazing in Spiderman 2, wasn't it? I'm so glad Rhino and the Green Goblin were such central antagonists!), then there is absolutely no hope for you whatsoever, and you should go home and stick to watching anime and playing CoD.

The Godzilla trailer used shot cutting to make it look like there would at least six different monsters in the movie, including Mothra, Kumonga, Manda, and even some speculation on Mechagodzilla, what with that close-up of a MUTO's eye.

I'm not pissed about it, because this is what I have come to expect from trailers. They've always done it, they will continue to do it, and the quality and composition of a trailer has absolutely nothing to do with the worth of the movie itself, which makes condemning a movie because of the trailer literally one of the stupidest fucking things you could do as far as media criticism goes. Grow the fuck up.

Last edited: May 24, 2014
  13. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

Watched it today. Not enough Cranston. Could be more Godzilla and less teasing of the fights, but it didn't bother me as much as it did other people. I want Mechagodzilla in the sequel.

One more thing, people cheering for Godzilla was a little weird since while he saved their city for now who knows what this big monster will do next?

14. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    For me that was the weakest part of the movie. The story hinged on the fact that Godzilla decided to take out the other two, which makes Godzilla's motivation for doing so pretty important. Yet it's left at nothing more than "Godzilla is an alpha predator"... that doesn't really mean much, especially since apparently Godzilla is a predator who doesn't eat his prey.

I didn't mind the movie cutting away from the fights at all. It's much better that way. Moderation in all things/less is more. A woman slowly undressing is more arousing than a woman who appears naked. Only getting short looks for most of the movie makes the final fight more impactful.

I also have no objection to the human element. I thought it was well done in that it showed the humans as proactive in attacking and the military actually not being completely powerless. You have the sense that the military would eventually have been able to stop them, even if it would have cost them having to drop a nuke on one of their own cities.

15. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

I actually hate film critics in general and don't read reviews at all.

I'm just tired of all these American movies which glorify the military. Godzilla is just the latest example. Need I mention the Transformers series?

16. Jibril

Jibril Headmaster

I will just quote myself.

17. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

After the credit scenes in some asian viewings showed Mothra leading an army of MUTOs and whipping up a hurricane.

18. Striker

WAT.

/10WATS