1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Good Xander Harris Centric Stories?

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by 0jordinio0, May 28, 2014.

1. 0jordinio0

0jordinio0 Seventh Year

I find myself getting into Buffy stories that feature Xander as the main character. Particularly where he hones his skills from his possessions or isn't just the 'zeppo'.

I've yet to actually find a good fic where Xander keeps his Hyena powers. Kind of a disappointment because there's alot of potential there.

Any good Xander Harris fic links are appreciated.

2. Atri

Atri Groundskeeper

Well, if you haven't read it already, you could try the Jedi Harris series.

Grammar is good, though the story tends to go a bit over the top, especially in its latest installment. It's probably in the "guilty pleasure" category, but if you have nothing else to do, don't want a lot of drama and "woe is me"-type of stories, then it might be something for you.

3. Tasoli

Tasoli Minister of Magic

The Pride of Sunnydale by The Saint Of Killers
    When Xander is possessed by a different animal spirit on his fateful trip to the zoo, a new champion against the darkness is born on the Hellmouth. With new options available to him, Xander's different choices and actions cause ever expanding ripples in the tapestry of fate. With the future of the Scoobies changing with every step, will they still succeed in saving the world?Buffy: The Vampire Slayer - Rated: M - English - Adventure/Supernatural - Chapters: 11 - Words: 119,956 - Reviews: 319 - Favs: 786 - Follows: 856 - Updated: Feb 5, 2013 - Published: May 17, 2011 - Xander H.

Not perfect but it is probably one of the best you would find.

Basically he gets posesed by a lion in the zoo and doesn't go crazy.
    ______
    This oneshot.
    Tears, Torment, and Jade
    What if Xander, Buffy, and Willow dressed not as the characters we know of from the show, but as Terakan Assassins. Will the hellmouth survive three of the most dangerous assassins of all time?
    [​IMG] BtVS/AtS Non-Crossover > Dark > Cast: Scooby Gang • phoenixgod • FR18 • Chapters [1] • Words [10,830] • Recs [10] • Reviews [22] • Hits [4,774] • Published [20 Dec 06] • Updated [20 Dec 06] • Completed [Yes]

Surge
    Xander is in Nevada around the same time as Reed Richard's disastrous teleportation experiment. Now he's caught up in a whole new set of problems.
    [​IMG] Marvel Universe > Ultimate Universe • Klimmatt • FR18 • Chapters [18] • Words [58,284] • Recs [51] • Reviews [550] • Hits [125,697] • Published [27 Oct 11] • Updated [5 Nov 13] • Completed [No] • Remove

Xover with Anita with only Xander being from BTVS side so be warned.
    Welcome to the rest of your life
    When Xander thought about his eventual death, he imagined big teeth, sharp claws, maybe a sword or ax. But a bomb? Really? That just blows, in more than one way.
    [​IMG] Anita Blake > Xander-Centered • Himuradono • FR21 • Chapters [24] • Words [136,858] • Recs [48] • Reviews [333] • Hits [71,578] • Published [1 Apr 13] • Updated [26 Aug 13] • Completed [Yes] • Remove

Have time you want to kill? Here is lots of Xander powerup stories in one place with mixed quality.
    Flickering lights
    Possible futures of some of my stories that I wrote, along with possible stories, more to stop thinking about them then to add them to the body of the story itself.
    [​IMG] Miscellaneous > Surprise Crossover • [​IMG]dogbertcarroll • FR15 • Chapters [56] • Words [98,028] • Recs [39] • Reviews [647] • Hits [250,993] • Published [23 Feb 10] • Updated [28 Oct 13] • Completed [No] • Remove

Last edited: May 28, 2014
  4. Brukel

Brukel Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

This guy has a couple of dozen fics, they're all Xander centered and do a decent enough job of not bashing anyone or going overboard with wanking anyone.

Just about all the fics are Xander/Cordelia which may put you off (it's the best pairing though so i'm not sure why that would happen though).

5. Zeelthor

Zeelthor Scissor Me Timbers

Lies, Brukel. Willow/Buffy is the OTP. I've never really understood the Xander fics. The very point of his character was that he was extraordinary without actually having any powers...

Well, in the later seasons. The first three seasons, he was kind of annoying at times.

6. Brukel

Brukel Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

Buffy/Faith maybe, just maybe. But Cordelia had spunk and spunk trumps everything. One of those stories has Willow/Cordie though, which came close, but I'm not that much of a fan of Willow so it's an uphill battle for her.

As far as Xander as a character I assume it's because people (dudes), on the whole see the character as a stand in for them, only this time the guy never gets anything and in the end becomes the doughnut boy while Spike and Angel despite their inherent dickishness manage to finish up being the heroes at least once or twice, and get the girl.
    Plus there's more opportunity for crossovers.

A Hunter's Tale is a vampire hunter D crossover that's reasonably enjoyable as a guilty pleasure.

Lint has some pretty awesome Xander/Faith fics and weirdly enough some decent Gossip Girl stories which is something I never thought I would say.

Also there is this where last I checked most of the links work. They're all dark and usually evil Xander but the crossroads one is pretty funny with Xander the Vengence Demon.

And the Xander Blake series or something. Xander as Anita's twin, not as bad as it sounds and about the best fanfic I've read involving Anita aside from Nuhhuh's work.

This guy has a few things that might be worth a look at. Very much a writer of Guilty pleasure however. Has a couple of alright Anita Blake crossovers in there as well. He has another one around where Xander ends up in St Louis and skins Were creatures for Jean Claude somewhere as well, I'll try and find it.

Last edited: May 28, 2014
  7. Bentgame

Bentgame First Year

I got you covered. Now I'm not a fan of stories that give him powers because, as Zeelthor said, the point of Xander was that he fought despite not having any powers. But there are a lot of other good stories hanging around, especially on livejournal. Here's a list of links.

Collections

Buffyversetop5 This a collection of fic recs that are generally high quality. You have to sort through slash, but it's not hard, since everything's tagged and you can search by pairing.

Better Buffy Archive
    Every story in the better buffy archive tagged with Xander as the main character. Generally high quality.

hpchick's Memories- Nice collection of links to Xander-centered stories on livejournal. Contain every conceivable pairing and some gen stories as well.
    I Need A Parrot Story quality varies. You're going to have to search a little bit.

Xanderzone The garbage dump. Character bashing and bad stories are the norm. You'll have no problems finding a Xander with powers story here, but you'll have a hard time finding one that's readable.

Twisting The Hellmouth- Collection of crossover Buffy stories. Stories are generally mediocre.

Authors

Liz Marcs- This is a link to her fic masterlist. Everything she writes is good. I especially like the Whisperverse series and Behold Little Padawan, which is a far more serious story than the summary suggests.

Nwhepcat
    - Generally a good author. The Sunnydale Calling series is good and most people seem to like Lillac City.

Naol- The page is irritating to navigate, but all the stories are high quality. Two Ships stands out to me.

Waddis- Good author, mostly recced for entertaining one-shots.

M.Mcgregor- Not my favorite author, but I Am What I Am is an okay time-travel story and See Noir Evil is a decent super-powered Xander story.

That should keep you busy for a while. Sorry I didn't get around to recommending individual stories, but I ran out of time. Maybe I'll add some in later tonight.

EDIT: Spelling

8. Darth Disaster

Darth Disaster The Waking Sith ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Edit: Already been linked. Nevermind.

9. Tasoli

Tasoli Minister of Magic

Whoa dude I was pretty sure that I have burned the whole fandom like 2 years ago. But there is a few stories in that list that I haven't read yet. It was interesting.

Thanks. I had forgotten what it was like to read a good BTVS story that I haven't already read. It is all bashing and over the top powers etc. nowadays.

10. Captain Trips

Captain Trips High Inquisitor

If you are up for some evil Xander there is always the classic Zeppo No More, here Xander is turned to a vampire and everything goes to hell. Be warned though, the series is dark as hell, and contains themes that some people might find disturbing.

Zeppo No More
    Zeppo No More 2: The City Of Screams
    Zeppo No More 3: The X-File
    Zeppo No More 4: The Dream Demon
    Zeppo No More 5: The Final Chapter
    Zeppo No More 6: A New Beginning
    Zeppo No More 7: Love Bites
    Zeppo No More 8: Tortured Souls
    Zeppo No More 9: Darkness Of The Soul
    Zeppo No More 10: Mansenfleisch
    Zeppo No More 11: Blue Man Down
    Zeppo No More 12: The Fear Within