1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Dragon Ball Z

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by Thorn, Jul 20, 2014.

1. Thorn

Thorn Professor

Title. Can anyone recommend any good DBZ fics? I'm hankering for my teenage years. I tried to check some out but...dear god just no. They were bad. I'm hoping DLP has some in mind they can share.

I prefer Vegeta centric, but good is good and I'll read anything if it maintains quality.

Thanks.

2. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

Sure. It's surprising, but there are better DBZ fics NOW than there were back when DBZ was huge. All I remember back then were shitty OC self inserts, Trunks/Pan or Goten/Bra or a shitload of Trunks/Goten, or Gohan/Videl, or Gohan/Videl and a whole lot of high school fics with field trips to Capsule Corp, etc etc. The Frying Pan of Doomâ„¢ was also especially annoying.

Break Through the Limit
    Raditz finds himself outmatched when he comes to earth, due to a change in Goku's final battle against Piccolo five years earlier. Can Raditz find it within himself to become a hero alongside his brother, and rise to face Frieza, the androids, and more? Ongoing, updates Sundays. Thanks to Nassif9000 for providing the cover image! Now with a TV Tropes page.

Guardian
    AU: A small malfunction in baby Kakarot's spaceship leads to him crash landing on Kami's Lookout. Sensing great potential power and anger inside the child's heart, Kami raises him and changes the DB Universe drastically as a result.

Turbulence
    Due to a change in Bardock's final stand, Kakarot's spaceship forsakes its original destination and indirectly leaves the Earth without its savior. Fate and chance had aligned during his exodus, however, leaving him in the hands of the Namekians to be raised as one of their own. From there, Earth and Namek explore the re-distributing of Kakarot and the resulting universe's tale.

Bringer of Death
    During Vegeta's last stand against Frieza, the Prince of Saiyans ascends, becoming the first Super Saiyan of his era. History has been re-written...but to what degree? Edited by Ryu No Ohi and Davidstarlingm (Co-author).

Cold World
    Gohan is kidnapped by Raditz and against his will, is forced to work alongside him, Vegeta, and Nappa under Frieza. These are his struggles, as he's exposed to a world no child should have to experience.

Dragonball Legends
    What if EVERYTHING that happened in DB/Z/GT was a vision of Bardock's? The psychic Saiyan struggles to honor Goku's memory, serve his king, raise Kakarot, and keep Earth from being purged by his own people after evacuating Planet Vegeta. But by trying to sustain the world he remembers, he drastically begins to change Goku's loved ones along the way. It's a brave new world!

A lot of these weren't too my taste, like the last one, but that's my personal preference. Some of them I stopped reading halfway through because I found some HP or Naruto fic to read instead and just haven't gotten back around to reading them -- so I can't exactly give you ratings. But from what I remember they were a good time waste, at the very least, if you're bored.

3. Nauro

Nauro Headmaster

The fans grew up a bit, and now they write better?

Especially since they have nostalgia and team four star to thank for reminding them of the series? And that new movie.

EDIT:
    I think I've read Break Through the Limit a while ago, and it was ok, but after a while my attention faded, and I stopped reading the updates. Ff.net alerts keep spamming me as the new chapters come up, but I think I'm at least fifty behind, and don't really plan to catch up.

I also remember dropping Dragonball Legends since it was meh. The plot is too convenient at first, and then, things are working in weird directions, but there's just nothing too interesting going on. There are a few secrets, but for I remember disliking the characterization.

Cold World, I remember it being as decent as DBZ fics get, but for the life of me, I can't remember if I finished it.

It's what happens when I start reading DBZ fics, they have a small interesting idea, but they usually fail or get boring in the long run.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2014
  4. Rynonis

Rynonis Slug Club Member

Oh god teamfourstar. The greatest thing to ever happen to DBZ.

5. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

Meh, maybe. But before reading those fanfics I hadn't even looked at or thought of DBZ fanfic in years. Once the gradual death of a fandom occurs, it's not really brought back to life.

Not that I'm complaining, of course.

6. bakkasama

bakkasama Seventh Year

I second Bringer of Death. One of the authors retired from the project so updates slowed down considerably but it at least finished the Cell Saga.

Other than that we have:

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/7204931/1/The-Lost-World-Tournament

Gohan/Videl and humor, emphasis in humor. I highly recommend it. On a similar vein, there is:

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/5779315/1/Overprotective

Which to be honest, I didn't finish. And I don't quite remember what it went about, just that I stopped because it was long rather than because it wasn't funny. It was mostly about Hercule not approving of Gohan and overreacting, then Chichi not approving of Videl and overreacting even more and then Videl getting angry at them and starting dating Gohan out of spite even though they weren't romantically involved prior that situation.

For another Gohan centric fic (he seems to be a favorite of the fandom, him and Vegeta/Bulma romances), there is:

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/7596121/1/Dragonball-Z-Rising

Basically, Gohan writes the book Ground Breaking Science from Dragon Ball Online before he goes to High School and now everyone knows about Ki. It is a Saiyaman centric fic that shows Gohan's highschool years, him making friends and his friends discovering his secrets little by little. Unlike other Gohan goes to highschool fics, the author understands that having people discover everything together kills the effect and since that is what the fic is about he plans to do it little by little. While it says Gohan/Videl, it doesn't look like it is going to happen anytime soon. Already finished the first arc and they don't seem any closer to figuring out his secrets. I guess it would be a super hero story?

After that there is a whole lot of fics in which what changes is the protagonist/strongest fighter. For example:

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/7250430/1/The-Earthling-Chronicles

Which for now is Tien centric with the promise of having the humans be the protagonists.

The are others in which the change is mostly the main character. As said before, there is Bringer of Death with Vegeta and Break Trough the Limit with Raditz. BTtL was in the Buu saga last time I checked and it wasn't that bad up to the end of the Cell saga.

There is also Piccolo's Choice
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/6279540/1/Piccolo-s-Choice

In which Piccolo remains evil and brainwashes Gohan to hate Goku by the time the saiyans arrive. It is, of course, another of those in which what changes is the protagonist/ strongest fighter with it being Piccolo.

Honor Trip is one that is famous though I didn't like it. On it Cell becomes good after SS2 Gohan hits him in the head, like Goku when he was little. It has a lot Out of Characterness, with every single one of them going into a speech about honor and morality at one point or another and always trying to drive the point home about how perfect or smart Cell is supposed to be. Still, some people like it so I mentioned it but I refuse to link it.

For another with a different protagonist, there is:

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8522508/1/The-Fall-of-Lord-Frieza

Which isn't really much to write home about, just Frieza becoming a hero and eventually joining the group. Most of the fic happens in space though, and deals with threats before they reach earth so it has that going for it.

The next one I haven't read but it was recommended by some good authors from the fandom a while back so it might be worth a shot.

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/9443688/1/Savior-of-Demons

Another Frieza centric one. This one comes recommended by the authors of other fics with another protagonists, it is from a decent length and seems to have a good update rate. The first chapters seems good enough too.

Finally, two more Gohan centric ones. The first:

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/5982609/1/Talent-and-Potential

I liked it when I first read it but that was when I was beginning in the fandom so take that with a grain of salt. It is as said in the description a Gohan/Videl story and it falls in some of the traps that usually plagues them but it is better written than most of them and has some original plots for the fandom. It is also mostly centered in the action part IIRC but it's been a while since I read it. The author doesn't shy of inventing new arcs and is not half bad at it. Also, complete but the sequel seems to be dead.

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/4285214/1/A-Tale-of-Supremacy

Ignore the summary. Gohan goes to a trip through space. Those who hated GT are going to love some of this guy's ideas about it. He made Gohan stronger than he was but the highlight is the space trip.

7. melior

melior Seventh Year

I read this pretty shortly after I discovered fanfiction, so I can't promise it holds up, but I very much enjoyed this old story (started in 2001!) about descendants of Goku and Vegeta:

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/479303/1/The-Return

Despite the fact that it's all OCs (except for a couple cameos), the story still has over 1000 reviews. It has some typos and such, but in my memory the characters, dialogue, and story were all great. The main characters start out about as powerful as the canon characters were back at the very beginning of DBZ and progress from there. It's a grown-up, more violent story that still retains what made DBZ fun to begin with.

Anyway, that's my pitch. I've searched for it on DLP but I haven't seen anybody else talk about it.