1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Black Lagoon Fics?

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by Tutorial Boss, Aug 4, 2014.

1. Tutorial Boss

Tutorial Boss Seventh Year

Are there any decent Black Lagoon fics out there, crossover or no crossover?

2. chriar

chriar Third Year

Fate Lagoon By: iNFAMOUS X Revy didn't believe in heroes. Then came the one who walked countless battlefields undefeated; never once has he retreated, nor once has he been understood. In a city drowning in darkness, an ally of Justice will rise.

Sweet Attack By: unkeptsecret Chaos returns to Roanapur as the Triads and Hotel Moscow start their inevitable war. Old alliances clash with new ones, and the only person who can save them all is pressing out his collared shirt by the bed. Revy and Rock. Chang and Balalaika.

Friends with Benefits By: jm1681 Rock and Revy's friendship takes an interesting turn as one, simple indiscretion leads to another...

Those three are the best Black Lagoon fics that I can remember, though the last one I haven't read in a while. jm1681 has some decent Black Lagoon fics in general.

The only other ones that I can remember being decent are Second Chances, Black Lagoon: A Pirate's Life For Me and its sequel A Gun and a Bullet.

3. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Black and Blue Lagoon by Nugar is also pretty good.

Second jm1681's stuff.

These were on my favourites list, but I'll be honest, I have no real memory of any of them, so, they might range from decent stuff to guilty pleasures like the frozen recs.

With no guarantee of their quality outside the fact that I enjoyed them at some point, whether that was when I was looking for quality fics or simply binge-reading after a Black Lagoon marathon I do not know:

Forever Changed by Dark-Knight27

Because Daddy Said So by demonicDRAMAqueen

Don't Let Go by Fifth Horseman

Too Damn Hot by J-Pop Princess

Hangfire by GunMetalX

the thing about lithium bullets is by DarkenedSakura

How is the fate story? Even though the characters there tend to pull of some minor inhuman feats, it feels odd to put nearly EMIYA Shirou in there just to curbstomp everyone. I dislike Shirou enough as it is, I have little desire to see him lecture Revy and the others while beating everyone due to him having bullshit magic powers.

The clash of philosophies could be interesting though, so, I might give it a try just for that.

4. Captain Trips

Captain Trips High Inquisitor

There is also Outlaw by DLPs very own Jon.
    It's about Harry going to Roanapur hunting Draco Malfoy.
    It's good but a bit short.

5. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

The Fate story, if it's the one I'm pretty sure it is, is god-awful. It has Shirou running around Roanapur as some kind of Punisher knock-off murdering everything and monologuing to himself about how he's such a hero and the like. Don't waste your time on it.

Parts of it are decent, mostly when Shirou isn't behaving wildly out of character for no apparent reason, and the concept is intriguing as all hell (I would love to find a good story about post-UBW Shirou in Roanapur), but the author botched it pretty thoroughly. There's nothing worthwhile there.

6. Knyght

Knyght Alchemist

People and Other Skills - For Rock, the key to becoming a successful professional criminal in Roanapur lies not only in the life he's currently leading, but also in the life he left behind in Japan. Class is in session and the stakes are life and death. One-shot.

7. Nemrut

High Score:
    Read it before I saw your post Ag, yeah, not really a decent story. It's a post Fate route Shirou who is just a bland prick for the most part. Honestly, Black Lagoon is something that can't be crossed with too many things and I think the fate franchise is something that is unsuited for it, unless you summon Revy as Archer or Berserker.

Where is the conflict if Shirou is the ONLY guy with magic in Roanapur and is easily able to curbstomp everyone else? BL was interesting because Rock was a good person with a solid moral compass who WASN'T a badass fighter but a normal person. Who couldn't power his values through with force, or defeat the enemy.

Shirou can, easily, against every gun and fighter in Roanpur combined, so, it is just a matter of time before Shirou has cleansed Roanapur, so, not really interesting.

The clash of philosophies would have been interesting as fuck but the author totally missed the point and had zombies appear in the submarine which apparently caused Revy to break down because her guns didn't work and Shirou being a "hero" for goading Revy into attacking them, knowing her gun would be useless against them. After she is overwhelmed he "saves" her and tells her he will always save her.

Seems to me, a real hero would traced a weapon that would work against the zombies, given it to her, providing her with some agency and fight their way out together, not wait until Revy breaks down and then save her when she is a damsel. (by the way, not buying Revy breaking down simply because her gun didn't work)

Although, it can be interesting if this was intentional and this was some commentary on heroes being problematic in some areas, especially since Fate route Shirou started out as a raging sexist, so, Kirei's "you want people in danger so you can save them" lecture also comes to mind.

If this is Shirou's subconscious acting, so that he, as a hero, can save women from danger, that would be quite the revelation to himself but I kinda doubt that is true.

8. Agayek

That would be kinda intriguing if that's how the author was planning to handle it, but I don't think I can give him that much credit. It reads too much like the standard wankfests that single-character-focused crossovers tend to devolve into.

9. Nemrut

High Score:
    Yeah, seems unlikely. Damn, now I want more Black Lagoon xD

Is there ever going to be a new season? Manga started again, right?

10. Agayek

I doubt it. I dunno for sure though, I never watched the anime and haven't read the manga since they finished the Hansel and Gretel thing. I should really get back to that at some point.

11. Nemrut

High Score:
    You should, anime is excellent, sub and dub, both are good. Anime is nearly completely covering the manga, maybe not the last 3 or chapter since it went on a hiatus then, but I would gather you still have 10-12 episodes ahead.

12. Jarsha

Jarsha Seventh Year

Forcibly United By Gaming Ikari
    Ranma 1/2 & Black Lagoon

Focuses more on Ranma and Ryoga shenanigans than the Lagoon company, but I remember it being a fun read even it never really manages to go anywhere beyond the start of the plot.

13. Cruentus

Cruentus Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

I tried, in a review, to correct some of his...misunderstandings about Archer and Shirou when he revealed that this Shirou would grow up to be an Archer that didn't regret dieing to save people, but he blew me off. I also have to ask the question of where the fuck the ghouls/zombies came from. If I remember right, you need a Dead Apostle to make those, and if there had been one on that sub why the fuck had it not tried to escape, or die because of lack of blood?

TL'DR: It's a bad story.