1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

James Cameron's Avatar fics

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by Andrela, Aug 21, 2014.

1. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

2. Vir

Vir Centauri Ambassador ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    That's racist man. Everyone knows that all cultures are equal in all respects, and it doesn't matter if you've got great engineering, a thirst for the arts, or a drive to have a greater quality of life.

3. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I didn't like the movie that much (well, besides the production values), but I've always wanted to see a good What If? fic where Jake's brother didn't die and went to Pandora as planned. Considering that Jake royally fucked up in his job to achieve a compromise with the Na'vi and went native, I wanted to read a story where his brother succeeds at making a lasting deal with the Na'vi and humans wouldn't be driven off Pandora completely.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2014
  4. Sn0rkack

Sn0rkack Professor

This is the only Avatar story I bothered reading (or at least remember reading). Don't think I got that far into it either. Decent from what I remember.

Brotherhood by Amaya Shinkuyoake reviews What if Tom didn't die? What if BOTH Sully twins ended up on Pandora? An exercise in possibilities. Has romance - Jake/Neytiri and others - and an examination of life among the Na'vi. Rated M for safety & content past chapter 12. XD

5. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

6. Andrela

Maybe.

7. A.K.$J6-J5

A.K.$J6-J5 Seventh Year

What was that from?

8. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

Looks like something the author made up themselves.

9. Andrela

I agree that it is most likely something original, though if it was in the actual movie, it would have given that character some depth instead of just leaving him a generic Hollywood villain.

Unless you mean that Pulse thing, in which it is 100% original and proof that 4chan is not as bad as people think.

10. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Semper Victoria and its sequel are still the only fics I've found worth reading in that fandom. It's not so much about humanity succeeding in forcing a compromise through the first time as it is about coming back a second time, this time ready for war.

11. Andrela

Once again, Aekiel to the rescue.

Just for that, you're getting another vodka shot when we meet again ;)

12. 9th Doctor

9th Doctor Groundskeeper

13. Mercenary

Mercenary Snake Eater

Semper Victoria is interesting in that its not a "and tehn uthe humans came backs and wins all the things."

In that the people who go back for round 2 are more interested in the resources than fighting the Navi.

Though in its sequel and recent chapters things have been getting... more conspiracy/thriller like?

14. CrackedMind

CrackedMind Minister of Magic

I've been reading the Semper series, and I've really enjoyed it so far (only about 3/4 of the way done with the second one). My only complaint is an incredibly minor and stupid one:
    They play the Imperial March during the last ditch suicide attack, and they have a throwaway line where Captain Thomes mentions she tried to think up something appropriately german in honor of the dead Colonel, but Captain Jones thinks they should just live up to the fact that the natives think they're the Evil Empire. So they remember Star Wars, but can't be damned to remember the movie they're basically reliving in space? Hell, their ships are called Valkyries and had names from german mythology. But nope, Ride of the Valkyries didn't make the cut. I was kind of taken aback by how annoyed I was about the whole thing, haha.

15. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    IIRC they played that one when they sent in the gunships.

16. CrackedMind

CrackedMind Minister of Magic

I read that chapter after I posted the mini-rant, and I couldn't make heads or tails if it was Ride of the Valkyries, or if it was the Na'vi mistaking someone counting down in german as singing. But having just watched the Apocalypse Now clip again, and rereading the part, you're right.

Watching that scene again, I'm really starting to wish Avatar was less Dancing with Wolves in Space! and more Heart of Darkness/Apocalypse Now.... in space.