1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

What Linux distro do you use?

Discussion in 'PC Discussion' started by Genghiz Khan, Sep 27, 2014.

1. Genghiz Khan

Genghiz Khan Headmaster

I was just lurking around (as usual), and I realised that there are many technically oriented DLPers around. And hence, the doubt. What Linux (and/or BSD) distros do DLPers generally use? And why those distros? In what environment do you use these distros, and what advantages do these distros confer? Also, if you have a dotfiles repo, please do link it here!

I'll keep the original post short and sweet, and add my answer after a bit.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2014
  2. Gwyll

Gwyll Sixth Year

I use Ubuntu for personal use. Free, fairly easy to install, and I am used to it. Mainly using it for a laptop and a family webserver, so I can even play around on my laptop before doing something tricky on the server.

Generally it is fairly easy to find answers/guides to specific problems, and the guides are specific to the distrubition.

3. Photon

Photon Order Member

I recently started using Lubuntu (preconfigured lightweight version of Ubuntu). Installing it alongside Windows turned out to be far easier than I expected - transformation from only Windows to dual booted Windows + Ubuntu is trivial with Linux installator.

4. Genghiz Khan

Genghiz Khan Headmaster

I use Arch Linux, personally. I love the customisation it allows as well as the lack of crazy pre-configured defaults. Once you're used to pacman, it's hard to go elsewhere. Also, the documentation (wiki) is some of the best out there.

Arch is also bleeding edge, which I really like. systemd, python3 and all were adopted by Arch relatively early, which is good. SOmeone should jump ahead and do it. I use it on my laptop and try to eke out as much performance as I can out of it without going full retard.

My dotfiles (I'm not a programmer, so there's not much else): https://github.com/genghizkhan91/dotfiles

5. melior

melior Seventh Year

I used to like rolling my own desktop environment on Arch Linux (Openbox + wbar + tint2), but after that laptop died I didn't feel like getting that back up and running. So I just use the Ubuntu LTS distros at home, while we use RHEL/CentOS at work. My wife killed our last Windows laptop and she got a Chromebook instead, so we're pretty much Windows-free here (I have a very outdated Windows 7 partition on this computer, but it's been a few months since I booted into it).

6. KrzaQ

KrzaQ Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Arch in a VM running on Windows 7. Using xforwarding to get the native feel.

7. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

Personal machines are arch, production machines are debian, suse or centos.