1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Triwizard tales by clell65619

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Reptile3607, Nov 1, 2014.

1. Reptile3607

Reptile3607 Third Year

Title:Triwizard Tales
    Author:Clell65619
    Rating:T
    Genre:Humour and Adventure
    Library Category: Humour, a bit of romance.
    Pairings:Harry/Susan
    Summary:At 14, Harry Potter really wasn't prepared for the Triwizard Tournament, but if he was forced to compete he was going to do his very best.
    Link:FanFiction.Net
    (Not sure if that link will work, I have bad luck with the things)

A funny little story about the Triwizard Tournament. Basically, Harry can speak Parseltongue to dragons. Hijinks, randomness, and total batshit insanity follows.
    Plus it's mild Harry/Susan, which I always like.
    I found most of the stuff with Harry amusing, but it was the subplots with Draco and Crouch junior that really gave it the 5/5 rating.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2014
  2. Halt

Halt 1/3 of the Note Bros. Moderator

Decent time sink, but not really library quality. Funny at parts, a bit of a drag to read at others.

3/5

3. Radmar

Radmar Disappeared

It's readable. No glaring errors are present, as far as I know. It makes no sense though. Particularly main events that should be most interesting. But they are not, because I know that every situation can be resolved with some nonsense pulled out of author's ass. It's not even marked crack, so that means that story is meant to be serious.

And genre is humor. That, in this case (I've seen it in many fics, though), actually means sacrificing plausibility for humor. That doesn't work for me.

It's written quite well, so +3 points for that. +1 point for Susan's boobs. -2 points for illogicality. That leaves me at 2/5. It's below average, because even cliché-ridden stories mostly make sense. This one doesn't. And I don't care if it's meant to be illogical or not.

4. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

This is about par for the course for Clell, meaning completely average.

5. evilchaos

evilchaos Squib

As others have said, it's a decent time sink. I enjoyed reading it, and I feel like it accomplished everything the author set out to do. Unfortunately, that wasn't very much.

The only glaring issue I can see are some of the subplots. In particular, the author's handling of Draco falls flat.

3/5 from me. Definitely not library quality.

6. Dark Minion

Dark Minion Bright Henchman DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Well, yes, I agree with Anarchy that it's a more or less typical Clell fic - and overall average.

Clell often has some nice ideas, with sometimes even great chapters. Nevertheless he doesn't manage to keep the quality over a whole story. In this story he partially goes the Rorschach-way with throwing in some more or less short humourous scenes not really related to the main plot (i.e. the subplot with the dragon). I can't recall that I outright laughed but I might have grinned or even chuckled once or twice.

It's a nice time-waster, nothing more, nothing less. Once you have read it you have mostly forgotton what it was about.

3/5