1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Kingkiller

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Aekiel, Jan 10, 2015.

1. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
  2. Invictus

Invictus Master of Death

I need tissues. Lots.

3. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Holy shit.

I've never heard of New Regency Productions though. Anyone have an idea whowolf they are?

I wonder what the budget will be like. The nature of the magic in Kingkiller means that they won't need much in the way of special effects (Dracus is probably the main SFX), nor do they need armies, but the general medieval setting will cost a lot of make authentic.

Eagerly awaiting cast.

Edit: Guys, look at the date. Article is from 2013. Bummer.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2015
  4. Aekiel

High Score:
    Don't worry. It's on the Regency website as well, front and centre on their television page.

http://www.newregency.com/television

There may still be hope for it yet.

EDIT: There was a tweet from Eric Heisserer in July 2014 saying that the pilot + series bible had gone out to prospective buyers. Nothing after that though, so I don't know if it found anyone or not.

https://twitter.com/HIGHzurrer/status/491259271841996800/photo/1

Heisserer has only directed one other film (Hours - 2013) and has been writer on 3 other films (Nightmare on Elm Street - 2010, Final Destination 5 and The Thing) as well, so I'm not sure if he'd be able to do Kingkiller justice.

5. Nae

Nae The Violent

Meh. I refuse to get on the hype train before seeing at least a teaser.

6. Dark Minion

Dark Minion Bright Henchman DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I want Rupert Grint for Kvothe.

7. Exile

Exile High Inquisitor

Maybe as Kote. But Kvothe is always slight and small to me. He's big for his age but small for the age everyone else thinks he is, if I'm remembering correctly. I mean for an actor Grint fairly tall right?

Never mind, Google is my friend. He's 5'8. Good god Radcliffe is diminutive.

8. syed

syed Supermod

I wonder if a whole season will be book one, or will book one have multiple season? I hope it goes well so book two and three could get made in the future. It would be great if they might make specials just for the short stories and novellas.

9. Danjam

Danjam Seventh Year

On the regency website, it has this description:

What kind of worries me is this part:
    I believe in the books, Kvothe is much younger when his parents are killed, and then lives in Tarbean for a while before ever making it the University when he is 15 or 16. Not necessarily a big deal at all, but makes me worry that they might try to force a lot of changes on the show.

I'm still excited and hopeful, but a little cautious. Then again, even a mediocre adaptation might still be very entertaining.

10. syed

syed Supermod

They could use tha fact he is actually narating his life to the chronicler to make up for all the internal dialogue in the books. He can do voice overs and monologues during the show. It would allow them to stay more true to the original tale.

11. Exile

Exile High Inquisitor

Has anybody watched Banshee? Stick with me now, but I could see them telling his tarbean experience like they tell the prison experience with Lucas Hood and flash backs to tramatic events.. Do the opening with abenthy and Kvothe's troupes massacre, explaining the university and some sympathy and even the name of the wind as well as the terrifying Chandrain. Then go with a slightly older actor and call it two years later and he's heading to the university. Introducing the love interest fairly early.

But that would throw a real wrench in the narrative style from the books with scribe and bash. It's an off the wall proposition and I could be convinced the books have it right. I'm just worried tarbean is slow in the books and not sure about pacing on screen.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2015
  12. andy50

andy50 Groundskeeper

I want it to be awesome so badly, but I have an itching suspicion this is gonna suck.

"On the night of his sixteenth birthday, KVOTHE bears witness to the slaughter of his parents and the rest of the traveling troupe of stage performers that had been his family. "

Wtf?

13. Spanks

Spanks Chief Warlock

I'm hesitant to be excited. 20th Century Fox has ruined many adaptions over the years (Dragonball: Evolution, Fantastic 4, Daredevil etc) and I have serious doubts if they could adapt this series. The silver lining is that the adaptations they've destroyed were movies and not television shows. Hopefully the TV division is better at their jobs.

14. Ash

Ash Moves Like Jagger DLP Supporter

LOL Taure, you even posted in the original thread about this back in July 2013. Cracking me up.

Also...whowolf??

EDIT: And Aekiel, you started this thread, but you posted in the original thread as well. Hah.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2015
  15. Aekiel

High Score:
    Oops. Missed that.

16. Invictus

Invictus Master of Death

The Blackman isn’t the hero DLP needs, or wants, or even care very much but he is the best we got and he is bloody hilarious. Watch out, your kneecaps will never be the same.

17. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

I can't see any reason to be excited, to be honest.

My first reaction to news of movie adaptions is dread, and I've rarely been pleasantly surprised. Movie adaptions are almost universally terrible. I'm expecting Eragon 2.0 in terms of quality.

18. silentclock

silentclock Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

19. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Well, the TV series appears to be taking as long as Book 3. :p

This part didn't fill me with anticipation though: