1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Oscar Nominations 2015

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by RoboSprog, Jan 15, 2015.

1. RoboSprog

RoboSprog Guest

Click here to view them

Honestly, I'm rather frustrated with this list - having seen a fair few of the films I can respect a number of them such as the Imitation Game. However, two films, Gone Girl and Interstellar which were both great, with the latter being a film I consider a very near masterpiece, were excluded from Best Picture and Best Director.
    This really frustrates me, as I view Interstellar as the best film of the year, or at least in deserving a nod. I also think Gone Girl did deserve a nomination due to it being a very clever and engaging film thanks to both brilliant directing, solid performances from the cast, and a very captivating narrative.

Going to personally hope that Imitation Game wins, as out of the list that'd be my favorite of the year.

2. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The Lego Movie not being nominated for Best Animated Feature Film is beyond a joke. It was easily the best animated film of 2014, no contest. It was loved by critics and had massive box office success.

I have absolutely no idea what the Academy were thinking.

3. Zeelthor

Zeelthor Scissor Me Timbers

I'd vote Grand Budapest Hotel. That movie was amaze-balls.

4. Atum

Atum DA Member DLP Supporter

I agree and all, but if "Everything is Awesome" wins best original song, I will be infinitely satisfied.

5. apoc

apoc The Once and Ginger King DLP Supporter

Rosamund Pike for best actress is likely in my opinion. In Gone Girl she was just so ridiculously perfect for the role.

I think The Lego Movie might not have qualified due to issues with whether it is considered completely animated or not, because I cannot think of any other shred of reasoning by which How to Train Your Dragon 2 is nominated while The Lego Movie is not.

6. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Disappointed by lack of Jake Gyllenhaal among Best Actor nominees.

Has anyone seen Unbroken? I thought it would've been a shoe-in for Best Picture nomination, it's practically Oscar bait. Is it just a bad film or what? Or does it not qualify? I think it went to theaters after New Year's.

I still haven't seen Interstellar. Fuck.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2015
  7. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Surprised Unbroken didn't make it in. It's definite Oscar bait, but it's actually a good film as well (although a quick glance at Wikipedia suggests that it's had a mixed reception critically...not that that's ever stopped a film being nommed before).

I haven't seen most of the nominees; most of them are only just coming out in the UK, and my local cinema isn't the best. The Theory of Everything was great, and Redmayne deserves his nod. So does Felicity Jones. Equally, I loved Grand Budapest Hotel, but I wouldn't have said it was best picture material. I can think at least movies I'd place over that (Unbroken and Calvary).

8. Jeram

Jeram Elder of Zion ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Oh it qualified. That wasn't the issue. The LEGO Movie already won a few other smaller awards. It's that the Academy folk are boring and old.

9. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I still remember what them fuckers did in 2009.

10. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    As much as I liked Lego, I can't get angry over its exclusion. I preferred BH6 and HTTYD and haven't seen the rest.

Edit: Could it be people looking at the movie through nostalgia tinted glasses? I dunno how much I would have liked it had I not grown up playing with them, something I can confidently assume the judges don't share.

11. Feoffic

Feoffic Alchemist DLP Supporter

I think it's because the Lego movie isn't doing much. It's very similar to Thor and the first Pirates of the Caribbean movie in that it took an unworkable concept and somehow made something enjoyable. As fun as the movie is, there isn't much else to it.

12. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Although I suspect Imitation Game will deservedly sweep, I want Grand Budapest to win best picture. That movie is utterly fucking delightful in every way.

13. Zennith

Zennith Pebble Wrestler ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    The Oyelowo snub is beyond absurd. His was the best performance of the season, bar none.

14. Jeram

High Score:
    I feel a small amount of rage, but I'll let it pass. "isn't much else"... That's just blatantly untrue. And I guess I played with Legos as a kid, but the movie was great despite me not really caring about Legos that much. I have nostalgia for things like Mario Bros and Final Fantasy, maybe some early cartoons too.

15. Feoffic

Feoffic Alchemist DLP Supporter

What else was there? Lego movie was blatant in its attempt at being contrary, and ended up being superficial instead. A fun distraction.

16. IAmJustAnotherGuy

IAmJustAnotherGuy Seventh Year

Boyhood and Whiplash, guys! What do you think about them?

17. Bill Door

Bill Door The Chosen One DLP Supporter

Lego Movie was the most enjoyable cinema experience I've ever had. I haven't seen a single one of the films that got any of the major nominations so I've got no opinion on them at all.

18. Jeram

High Score:
    Both great movies, but very different sorts of experiences. Boyhood is slow, engaging treatise on growing up and Whiplash is a frenetic, adrenaline pumping take on the line between abuse and mentorship.

19. IAmJustAnotherGuy

IAmJustAnotherGuy Seventh Year

I couldn't agree more. Boyhood is basically a biopic that calls on our own nostalgia, and does it pretty well in my opinion. Also, while not part of the movie itself, Ethan Hawke's Black Album is an entertaining experience.

Now, Whiplash is a fast pacing movie which, I believe, gains more from the characters than it does from the plot itself. Milles Teller is a favorite of mine and, while not Oscar worthy, his interpretation of the character gave me confidence on his future take of Reed Richards. And J.K. Simmons speaks for himself.

20. Bill Door

Bill Door The Chosen One DLP Supporter

Just back from watching Whiplash, that film was insanely good. J.K Simmons was incredible in it.