1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete He's Only a Child by sablefalls -T- Avatar:TLA

Discussion in 'Anime, Cartoons, and Comics' started by Republic, Jan 24, 2015.

1. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Title: He's Only a Child
    Author: sablefalls
    Rating: T
    Genre: General (Family)
    Fandom: Avatar:TLA
    Pairings: Aang/Azula
    Summary: A look at how Aang and Azula's oldest son tries to make sense of his family, especially his parents.
    Link: He-s-Only-A-Child

So, this fic. It's actually a companion piece to sablefalls' other fic. You don't have to have read Of Gods and Men to understand this. I read this one first, for example. The reason I'm not putting that up for review as well is that while I enjoyed reading Of Gods and Men, several things stopped me from considering it library quality. I certainly enjoyed it, but several aspects of it stretched believability and it lacked that special something to put it above its peers. Honestly? Reading Of Gods and Men after reading this fic left me a little disappointed.

This fic is different. It actually takes the Aang/Azula pairing and explores it beyond the 'how could they ever get together' aspect. The main character is their firstborn son, Athyer, and the fic explores how the child learns more and more about his parents, their history and their relationship as he grows. You can get a gist of 'Of Gods and Men' at the same time as Athyer learns of it, and I really liked that. I believe the writer has found a delicate balance between Aang's character and Azula's.

The fic is relatively short, to the point, but imo not lacking in character. It's also complete, another plus.

5/5 from me.

2. Bramastra

Bramastra Groundskeeper

I would like this to be a full story to flesh out their relationship a lot more 4/5

3. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

So I clicked on this not expecting to like it, but the first few words drew me in. Also helps that the story is 'complete' at only 9k words.
    Tentative 4/5. I'm halfway through but I have to leave for a meeting. I'd have waited to start it but honestly I didn't expect the first two paragraphs to draw me in that fast.

4. ronin11

ronin11 First Year

Yeah, sablefalls is a solid author. What's keeping him from becoming a realy great author is the usage the same plot twists in majority of his work. Still, he's probably the best and certainly the most productive writer this pairing has.

I've actually re-read this story not so long ago, 5/5 from me too.

This part.

For me, it really highlights where Azula is right now, personality-wise. She's still a bit of a sociopath, she'll probably always be, but she's trying to be more than that and it shows.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2015
  5. Nerox

Nerox High Inquisitor

My favorite scene was of course the Iroh scene at the end. And I was a bit disappointed that it was so short. Still, a nice, quick read.

4/5

6. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Wow, a tolerable Zutara fic. I don't know what it is, but Zutara is usually very jarring. This though pulled it off well.

---------- Post automerged at 18:45 ---------- Previous post was at 18:36 ----------

I give it a 3/5 only because it was so short.

7. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

Gave this a go, despite never having seen Avatar: TLA. Actually really enjoyed it. Kudos to having characters interesting enough that I could appreciate it without having any prior knowledge of them or their stories. And I really do love interesting/strange relationships like this.

Reading fanfics like this before watching the source always ruins it when you do get around to watching it =P

4/5

8. Eilyfe

Eilyfe Supreme Mugwump

And you should get around to it, seriously. Avatar was pretty awesome.

As to the fic, I loved the lines with Ba Sing Se.

For the length, easily 4/5.

9. Bramastra

Bramastra Groundskeeper

Hey jarik you could watch it on kissanime for free, also this fic has given me a burning hunger for Azuulng that I can't fill