1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Island of Fire by esama - T - HP/Temeraire

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by Nuit, Feb 4, 2015.

1. Nuit

Nuit Dark Lord

Title: Island of Fire
    Author: esama
    Rating: T
    Genre: Fantasy
    Words: 17,202
    Published: January 26, 2015
    Pairing(s): N/A
    DLP Category: Almost Recommended
    Summary: The founding of a wizarding nation in a world of dragons.
    Link: AO3

I found it on SB where it was recommended as an ISOT-ish type of story, but in this story it's just the group that get's transported afaict.

FYI, it's written in a epistolary manner that's supposed to emulate letters/journal entries, but most seem to blend together imo. Definitely more tell than show though and I feel that might turn most people off.

I give it a 3/5.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2015
  2. BTT

BTT Viol̀e͜n̛t͝ D̶e͡li͡g҉h̛t҉s̀ ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    First of all, this is a Temeraire cross, though there's no real contact with characters from there. Having not read that series myself, the main thing is that dragons can speak and form bonds with people. The HP group arrives during GoF, at the end of the first Task.

Anyway, this is very much what you'd expect - it's mostly about the building of the new civilization.
    It's divided in three parts, one in the above-mentioned epistolary format, but the second is a journal entry by non-HP character, and the third is just regular drama about Cho.
    The first part was, in my mind, the best.

I'd give it a 3.5/5. Not excellent, but it's at the very least decent in a very sparse genre.

3. Alexeyy

Alexeyy Seventh Year DLP Supporter

OP, that's more acronyms I've ever seen stringed together in a single message.

4. Nuit

Nuit Dark Lord

Three? Come on Alexeyy, there are plenty of posts you could have chosen to make that remark for but you picked a post with three?

5. Pirazy

Pirazy Groundskeeper

Didn't esama ragequit the fanfiction community and take all his stuff with him?

6. bob99

bob99 High Inquisitor

7. Alindrome

Alindrome A bigger, darker mark DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I didn't like the first chapter much, but second chapter onwards was pretty intriguing. It's more the story of how they build up a society from next to nothing, on the back of magic alone - this isn't a story about characters or events, but nonetheless it has something captivating to it.

I think you have to settle into a certain kind of mood to enjoy it, as with most of Esama's works, but if you think you might enjoy reading about what it would look like if wizards truly had to survive on their own using magic, you'll definitely enjoy this.

Very solid 4/5, but it'll be a memorable one.

8. KGB

KGB Headmaster

I liked the story so far., but the same can be said for many of esama's stories. The problem with them is that she never completes them. They build up great worlds with great promise of things to come and than poof they are abandoned. The SG:Atlantis xover comes to mind. And the last AN said that this story is on hold for now, which might as well mean dead for this author.

9. pbluekan

pbluekan Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Like most of esama's stuff, this is a quality piece of writing, both in content and technically. It certainly requires a certain mood to read this, as it is distinctly man v. Nature, and for a fandom that loves its action scenes, this is definitely lacking. I have to admit, for a bit there I was hoping it would devolve into a Lord of the Flies esque scenario, but I'm alright with the way it turned out.

I'll give it a 3.5-4/5

10. gbbz

gbbz Professor

It was surprisingly similar to her previous story: Space Haven. Survival with limited resources, Harry becoming a priest/leader, negotiations with natives etc. Though this is one is more polished and streamlined. Like most of her stories, it was enjoyable, I just wish she would finish one sometime (as in, give it a satisfying conclusion, this one didn't have one).

3/5

11. Anya

Anya Harley Quinn DLP Supporter

She posts her WIPs on her tumblr before putting the completed ones up on AO3.

12. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

There should be more ISOT-type stories with HP.

4/5

13. ronin11

ronin11 First Year

It kept me awake 'till 4 AM this morrning, and I feel a bit groggy right now, but it was worth it.

At first, I though it felt like HP meets Lost, but then it turned into Anno 1701 type of game or something. Gradual and realistic develpment with enough unexpected twists to not become dull and predictable.

It really made an impression, so 5/5 from me.

I can't really complain about that, this still feels more completed then 99% of, say, Ryuugi's stuff out there. Although it would be great if we get more. Next logical step would be a contact with the official governments (and their militaries) and with everything hinted in the second part it seems things will get more intense and flammable.:p

14. Charlesnaismith

Charlesnaismith First Year

I enjoyed it. Canon Harry is badass and the story showed him that way nicely. The extrapolation of known spells/magic given the premise exceeds expectations.

4/5

15. Vira

Vira Third Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Just finished reading this. It was good for what it was with the diary-style entries, though I'd have preferred something more in-depth. The diary-entries are distant with little emotion in them, mostly facts of what happened. I liked the survival aspects of it, but it wore off eventually.

There also were too few deaths. Five people did die, but at once during a storm, and then nothing. With one hundred people, more should have been dying due to accidents, like being swept out to sea and Bubble-Head Charm failure, or even suicide. It takes away a lot of suspense, not that this story had much in the first place.

It's a good time waster, at least.

3/5.

16. Stan

Stan Order Member

I liked it. The voices in the letters sounded a bit too similar, and there wasn't much conflict. The story could have really used Draco Malfoy and his band of Slytherins actively trying to sabotage stuff. Still, I devoured the entire work in one sitting, and was disappointed when it got over.

4/5 from me.

17. newageofpower

newageofpower Professor DLP Supporter

This was pretty good, and a fascinating kind of story. I'll be eagerly reading new entries in this series.

3.5/5 so far.

Er, does anyone know any other fics (preferably complete) where a bunch of HP magicals get planted in an AU?

Edit by Minion:
    Question to be answered here: https://forums.darklordpotter.net/showthread.php?t=28506

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2015
  18. Puzzled

Puzzled High Inquisitor

More is being written on Esama's site, two chapters so far.

19. Vira

Vira Third Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Links for those interested.

Battle of Atlantis: 1, 2.

20. Nuit

Nuit Dark Lord