1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WbA Copy Paste

Discussion in 'Site Related Support' started by Newcomb, Mar 12, 2015.

1. Newcomb

Newcomb Minister of Magic

Folks who post stories in WbA - how do you make it hassle-free?

I've been copy and pasting from a Word Doc / Google Doc (tried both) and I've been having some severe formatting issues, usually having to do with italics, font size, or spacing.

What's the easy way to do this?

It seems like the site interface isn't super-friendly to some aspect of how I'm accessing it (Mac, Word for Mac, something about Google Docs, copy/paste in general not getting the format right, etc.)

Thoughts?

2. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    o_O how the hell do you get any formatting to carry over? It's all plain text for me. Every time I post anything in WBA I have to go through manually adding all formatting.

3. Newcomb

Newcomb Minister of Magic

That's what I had to do for this last chapter. Before, I'd just copy/paste straight from Word, and it would look kinda off after I pasted it, and then I'd hit "Switch Editor Mode" and it would pop into the normal Verdana / normal size. Now, though, when I hit the Editor Mode button it puts [ I ] tags on every single line for some who-the-hell-knows reason.

I'm not tech-savvy enough to say this with any confidence, but shouldn't there be kind kind of "paste and match formatting" thing or a way to import Documents? It literally look me 45 minutes from when I wanted to post my new chapter to fiddling with it enough to post it correctly.

Not ruling out the possibility that I'm just an idiot, though, and missing an easy way to do it.

4. Radmar

Radmar Disappeared

I don't know much about this kind of thing, but maybe you try to could copy your text into some online bbcode converter (or this) and then post it into wba?

As I said, it's just a suggestion, I don't understand coding.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2015
  5. Nauro

Nauro Headmaster

I have an edging-on-embarrasing workaround that works, but it takes me a couple of minutes:

1. Post the whole thing into a new post box on firefox. The formatting stays like it was, but the font and colors are all wrong.

2. Press a button that firefox editor has, and chrome does not - "Switch Editor Mode".

3. Copy the whole thing to a notepad.

4. delete all of the excess tags (font and color) via replacing with empty strings.

5. Somehow, the whole post gets wrapped in an extra [ B ] tag. Delete both of them - the opening one at the start, and the closing one at the end.

6. Copy and paste the whole thing in chrome, in the thread you want to.

7. ???

8. Post-it.

6. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I've taken to writing with DLP formatting in Word. As in, if I want italics, I wrap it in the tags as I'm writing instead of using the italics button. I bold chapter titles and center scene breaks the same way. That way when I post on DLP, I just have to redo the line breaks with Enter and I'm good to go.

It's still a bit tedious if the post is large, but at least now I don't have to manually look for and insert all the italics and format scene breaks, which was a major pain.

7. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    So this is really weird. I've never been able to paste any text with formatting into DLP; it's always just come out as plain text entirely. Not bad formatting, just no formatting at all. I didn't even realise anything else was possible until this thread.

I just opened DLP up in Internet Explorer. No change to my DLP settings, just my browser. It works o_O I can paste stuff into the reply box and it has formatting.

8. Steelbadger

Steelbadger Death Eater

It depends on browser.

I use Firefox for posting as it carries formatting across (but gets rid of line spaces between paragraphs if pasted from FFN doc manager, annoyingly). If I want to edit a post then I use Chrome as big posts disappear completely into the aether when I hit edit in Firefox.

I write stuff in Google Docs (used to use Word and OneDrive but it became annoying on my tablet). The route to reach DLP works like this:

1. Copy to Word (formatting maintained).
    2. Select all, set Style to normal (colour, font and size removed, italics, bold, underline and justification all stay).
    3. Copy to DLP in Firefox (Chrome would just lose the remaining formatting).
    Alternatively, when I was working straight from Word and not putting in extra spaces between paragraphs I would do a search and replace (search for ^p and replace with ^p^p) then copy the result to DLP on Firefox. Always use the default/normal style in Word or weird things might happen.

Only slight issue with this way is if you want to use multiple fonts, colours or sizes.

9. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

Similar to Nauro. On Opera (the old one), I can turn on the WYSIWYG-mode of the editor (this is the "A/A" button on the upper, right-most corner of the editor), but it only works kinda. I copy my Word doc into it, switch to the raw-mode, and then I typically have double-spaced lines, and the odd wrong colour or font. So I copy the raw/code view back out into a different Word doc, Search & Substitute (Ctrl+H) to remove the double spacing and also clear up the wrong tags, then copy it back into the editor and post it.

Takes maybe five minutes or so. I think I posted a how-to guide basically saying what I just said somewhere once too, I'll see if I can find it.

10. Alindrome

Alindrome A bigger, darker mark DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I don't know if it's possible to implement, but it seems a solution to this would be the ability to upload documents and have the formatting be converted automatically.

I posted that suggestion to DLP Uservoice, if any of you want to vote for it.