1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Harry Potter and the Most Electrifying Man by SSVD - T - HP/Wrestling

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Invictus, Mar 25, 2015.

1. Invictus

Invictus Master of Death

Title: Harry Potter and the Most Electrifying Man
    Author: SSVD
    Rating: T
    Genre: Humor
    DLP-Category:B Humor
    Chapters: 5
    Words: 10,395
    Updated: Sep 27, 2012
    Published: Nov 26, 2011
    Summary:
    Dumbledore found another living relative for Harry to live with. One who is the most electrifying man in all of entertainment.

Link ff.net: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/7583739/1/Harry-Potter-and-the-Most-Electrifying-Man

I searched and couldn't find any entry of this story here, so I'm rectifying. This story is pure Crack, and almost everyone is OOC. But that's the joy of it, the sudden subvertation of expectations and crazy awesomeness reminds me of Rorschach's Blot stories. It nevers takes itself seriously, and has no shame to be as ridiculous and grandiose as possible.

Like the best WWE matches, it verges on So Bad it's Good and Crazy Awesome. Harry is funny as hell, it's nice see a fic where he is the Center of crazy. It's thankfully short, so it doesn't let the joke run itself dead. A solid 4/5 from me.

2. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

One of the easiest 5/5 fics I've ever given.

It's hilarious and awesome.

Incredible.

Dumbledore's promo and his Mr. McMahon was amazing, as was Lee's commentary.

Corporate Hogwarts. I'm dying. The lobster head reference from Seamus - gold.

What?

WHAT!

Perfect.

If this doesn't make the Humor section, there needs to be a serious excise of that section.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2015
  3. KGB

KGB Headmaster

This is the greatest achievement in humor since 30H

5/5

4. dmacx

dmacx Groundskeeper

Crack on steroids. Harry's first encounter with Quirrel was hilarious.

5/5

5. Nauro

Nauro Headmaster

What the actual fuck?

How are these stories getting these ratings, am I really on DLP?

6. Dark Minion

Dark Minion Bright Henchman DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Oh, yeah, I read this ages ago. As crackfic it was ok if not great.

One important point is that the author finished it off before it became boring and didn't drag it on and on.

7. Newcomb

Newcomb Minister of Magic

Seems really, really stupid to me.

I mean, I get that it's pure crack, but it's also a parody in the style of Harry Potter and the Eagle of Truthiness - if you don't like the Colbert Report or really understand the dynamic of it, that fic would just fall flat and seem stupid. I admit that I don't know anything about wrestling or WWE or the specific kind of culture this is parodying, so I'm sure some of it fell flat for that reason.

So, humor is subjective. I found this to be bad, but not in the way where I could suggest any way to improve it. I just didn't like the premise.

I did get a chuckle out of one of the author's notes:
    So, it has that going for it.

All in all, the style of humor comes off, to me, as that "oh my god look how random I am" style you find in bad YouTube videos or Family Guy where "look at how much these two things don't go together, isn't that crazy?" is substituted for wit. Not at all to my taste.

1/5

8. Hachi

Hachi Death Eater

Eh, the jokes fell flat imho.

I can appreciate random humor when it paints itself as random humor while having some semblance of design in order to make people laugh... But this is just pure randomness.

It reads like a diary written by some clinically insane guy straight out of a psychiatric ward. If this is what the fic was trying to do, congrats, I guess, but I didn't find it particularly funny.

But then again, humor is quite subjective.

2/5

9. Stan

Stan Order Member

If you ever followed wrestling, you will love this. If you know nothing about wrestling, you will hate it. Its as simple as that.

Dumbledore McMahon is awesome. Fuck anyone who says otherwise.

See, even Jeram agrees :
    As does enembee :
    Apologies for posting other people's reviews, but I really don't see why DLP -- or at least those on DLP familiar with wrestling, cannot enjoy this story. Rating the story without understanding most of it because you know nothing about the crossover is ridiculous.

Anyway, 4/5 from me. I just wish 'The Harry' could have rolled of the tongue the same way 'The Rock' does.

(TL;DR if you know nothing about wrestling, don't bother with this. Read and review the smut fic I rec'd instead. Thank you.)

10. Eilyfe

Eilyfe Supreme Mugwump

I didn't know about that fic before, so thank you, kind sir, for making my day.

11. esran

esran Professor

Crossover or not it isn't listed as a crossover, so I feel comfortable giving it a 2/5 even though I know nothing about wrestling. Some of the jokes were funny, but none of them were all that funny, and the story certainly has no legs to stand on besides humor.

12. Jeram

Jeram Elder of Zion ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Did you just read through reviews to find DLP members? Well, anyway, I do like the story, read it years ago. As a wrestling fan from the 90's, this was the perfect sort of humor for me, but it's not for everyone. It's stupid, but it's great. "Corporate Hogwarts" was a great reveal.

4/5 for me.

13. Yaz

Yaz First Year

Maybe because its not that good.

You thinking that because YOU loved it, everyone else must as well is just as ridiculous.

Your assumption that low ratings are because the reader "didn't understand it" is offensive.

14. Stan

Stan Order Member

From I can see in this thread, most of those who follow wrestling (or did so in the past) loved it, and those who don't didn't like it at all. Which is exactly what I said.

I assure you, if you never followed wrestling, you won't understand anything that is going on. You won't understand the significance of 'The Harry' or any of his speech and mannerisms. You wont get the greatness of the Dumbledore McMahon character. The What? chants, Swerves, Pole Matches, Lobster Heads, Biased Referees -- you won't get any of the references if you never were a wrestling fan. Take all that from the story and you're left with nothing at all.

Your assumption that those who rated the story understood all or any of it, when they themselves claim to have no knowledge of wrestling, is stupid. If you do get all the references and still don't like the story, your opinion is valid. Till then -- it doesn't matter what you think.

The last sentence was a wrestling reference. If you didn't get the significance of that, don't bother with the story.

15. Pasta Sentient

Pasta Sentient Disappeared

The way I view stories like this is somewhat similar to how I would view a slash fic or a twilight fiction. I have little knowledge of twilight beyond enough to know I'm not interested. and I have no desire to read slash Fics as well. So even if it is the greatest story ever my bias would prevent enjoyment/proper rating.

So, as with this fic, I won't rate.

16. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

I honestly thought this was already in the library. Regardless, it gets a 4/5 from me.

17. Yaz

Yaz First Year

You say that like wrestling is physics. You flatter yourself. Your arguments are as mind numbing as the story.

Regardless, I read the story and I rated it what it was worth. Your philosophy that "you just don't get it" is worth shit in my book. And, by the way, still offensive.

18. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Yaz, do you go to the non-HP section of the forum, open a bunch of random fics, then rate them 1/5 because you aren't familiar with the fandoms and have no idea what's going on? No? Why not?

19. Newcomb

Newcomb Minister of Magic

It's not a crossover, though. I'd call this more of a "fusion" in the same way Matt's Blackman is a Batman/HP fusion. One thing the latter does, though, is set the premise in such a way as to make the humor stand on its own. You don't need to know the ins and outs of Batman to understand the jokes.

Standup comics have a saying (coined by Carson, I think?): "Buy the premise, buy the bit." Good crossovers and good works of fusion do an adequate job of setup and groundwork so that the audience buys the premise. This one doesn't. This one only works on the assumption that the audience already buys the premise and has a vocabulary predicated on this very specific subculture. Whereas, say, Just Like Last Tuesday, Except With Zombies is funny even if you know exactly nothing about Glee and only a little about classic zombie films.

I'm not saying this particular way of doing things is wrong or bad or something, I'm just saying that it automatically loses a big chunk of the population due to the way it's (not) set up.

EDIT: I'll also say that there's a bit of a labeling problem here. On FFN it's listed as just Harry Potter. There's no A/N or anything saying anything about WWE. It's in the For Review section of the library for HP stories, not the Other Review as "WWE/HP fusion" or something. If it were, I wouldn't have read it in the first place. However - I did read it, and graded it on the same standards I use to rate things in the "fanfiction," "crossover/fusion," and "humor" categories.

20. Yaz

Yaz First Year

This isn't the non-HP section of the thread. This is the FOR REVIEW section. I read it. I rated it. So far I'm confused as to why this is an issue, given that that is what the FOR REVIEW section is for.

For the record - neither you nor Stan have any clue as to how familiar I am with wrestling, nor how I feel about it. Just because your assumption is that I hate it, that I don't know anything about it, or that I can't figure out the story without meeting some mythological (and arbitrary) bar doesn't actually make those assumptions true.

Other people liked it. I didn't. Instead of insulting me or trying to invalidate that opinion by saying "oh you just don't get it", you might just accept the fact that not everyone has the same opinion.

Personally I don't care what Jeram thinks, I don't care what enembee thinks - just as I'm sure they probably don't care what I think. The difference is that I'm not calling them stupid or implying their opinions aren't valid because of an opinion that has no basis in fact.