1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Oneshot The Fable of Joyful Wing by shiplizard - PG - Dresden Files AU/Bridge of Birds

Discussion in 'Dresden Files' started by kettricken, Mar 29, 2015.

1. kettricken

kettricken Muggle

Hello the board, I am newb, and hope I am doing this all correctly and in the right place. I've been looking through your library in search of some good Dresden Files stories, and didn't see this one by shiplizard here. If it is already here and my search just didn't succeed in finding it, apologies; I am still learning the site.

Title: The Fable of Joyful Wing
    Author: shiplizard
    Rating: G-PG
    Genre: Adventure / Fable
    Fandom: Dresden Files (both book and TV), set in the universe of Barry Hughart's "Bridge of Birds" - but can also be read as set in a Chinese mythological universe; no familiarity with "Bridge of Birds" is required.
    Pairings: Hrothbert of Bainbridge /Winifred
    Summary: According to the official summary: "A fable set in Ancient China, featuring a surprisingly familiar narrator. Set in the same universe as Barry Hughart's Bridge of Birds, but not quite a crossover.
    A (scruffy, smartass) sage of Peking goes to hell and back for his ghostly mentor."
    Link: http://archiveofourown.org/works/87838

This story is beautifully written, with a very stylized voice that nonetheless remains light, whimsical, and delightful in its own right. Half the fun is playing "who's-who," as shiplizard translates Harry and co. into the idioms and naming-conventions of Chinese folklore. The rest of the fun is the tale itself, which made for a lovely and satisfying Dresden-verse fable.

I don't usually enjoy AU, especially AUs that diverge so heavily from the original setting of a work, but I make a major exception for this one, and I hope some others will too. It's one of my favorite Dresden fics of all time. Hope folks enjoy it (assuming you haven't seen it already!)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2015
  2. cold burn

cold burn Third Year

That was excellent, thank you for telling us about it. It was no more, or less than a homage to the dresden files set in a cosmology with a core of Chinese folklore rather than Christian. It did not disappoint- and the closest to criticism was that it felt almost like reading a dresden files short story with asian window dressing- but that was exactly what was promised and far from a bad thing.

Frankly my only source of sorrow is that I doubt the author will continue- so I will not get to see Sun Wukong comment on Dragon Ball.