1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete The Boy Who Fell, A HP Starwars Crossover by Darth Marrs - M - HP/Star Wars

Discussion in 'Trash Bin' started by Dark Minion, May 20, 2015.

1. Dark Minion

Dark Minion Bright Henchman DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Title: The Boy Who Fell, A HP Starwars Crossover
    Author: Darth Marrs
    Rating: M
    Genre: Fantasy
    DLP-Category: The Alternates
    Chapters: 30
    Words: 135,583
    Updated: Apr 19, 2009
    Published: Sep 6, 2008
    Pairing: Luna/Ben Skywalker
    Summary:
    The Boy Who Lived didn't. Now 13 years after Harry Potter was murdered by the Dursleys, magical England is on the verge of collapse. So Luna Lovegood wishes for someone to come and make it all better.
    Link: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/4521407/1/

To start with the point quite a few people here will dislike: Harry Potter dies in the prologue and that's it. He is dead.

And now, 13 years later, no one is able to stop Voldemort and make the world better for Luna Lovegood. Until, that is, a spaceship crashes down right in front of the Lovegood's tower. It's pilot Ben Skywalker soon takes over the role of her prince and saviour.

The story takes place in Harry's year seven. The main characters are Ben and Luna. In a way it reads like a Harry Potter named Ben Skywalker, so if you squint your eyes, you can picture it that way. The Weasleys and Hermione play a role, Sirius is alive, Amelia Bones is Minister For Magic, and Voldemort is back.

This story isn't good. It was a guilty pleasure for me, back when it was new, and I rate it as almost recommendable, but it is one of the few tolerable and even complete HP/SW crossovers. The story takes place in Wizarding Britain, but soon Ben starts to communicate with his father, and eventually more Star Wars characters of the EU enter the story.

It's an earlier Darth Marrs story. It isn't even nearly as bleak and grimdark as his later stories, but parts really aren't well written. Depending on how you picture Luna she is sometimes or even often out of character, and the role she plays later on even tops the 'seer' cliché.

As I said, it was a guilty pleasure. I rate it at 3 stars - but partly because it's complete.

2. gbbz

gbbz Professor

It's an old story and has a lot of failures of old stories.

What it does have is a twist near the end and a semi-unique ?Luna?. I'm not quite sure how to catalog her, because she's all over the place, but it's not relevant in the end? It's strange and difficult to describe.

It's a fine example of Darth Marrs' stories before he became super grim-dark.

The main problem is also the greatest asset, that is the ending. It is different, yet unoriginal in some ways, yet original in others (at least for the time it was published).

It is a fun attempt at a Harry Potter/Star Wars fusion and anyone interested in that should at least take a peek.

Last edited: May 20, 2015
  3. Himuradono

Himuradono Professor

I have some fond memories of this story and actually enjoyed it. It isn't great or groundbreaking but has some nice characterization in few instances that I found refreshing years back.

The Luna seer cliche was grating and I found her a bit too spaced out at times, on the other hand Ben quickly grew on me and did a passable job as Harry's replacement for story protagonist.

I give it a 3/5.

4. dmacx

dmacx Groundskeeper

1/5. Major Force-wank, like all of Marrs' SW crossovers. Every single one of them.

5. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    This was one of the first of DM's stories I read and I thought it was pretty good for what it was: a Force-wank curb-stomp set in the HP world. Tellingly, it's one that I can reread without feeling the need to go pop some Paxil, something I can't say about all of DM's work.

I enjoyed Luna in this one and I think she's been written better here than in most any other DM story and, for that matter, most stories with Luna as a central character. I also found the whole Sirius and Hermione thing to be amusing (especially Hermione's discomfort when lecturing Ben about the impropriety of his relationship with Luna).

My only real beef with the story is the ending.

Basically, the characters we spend the whole novel getting to know are effective non-entities in the finale, as the Millennium Falcon swoops in and the brains are blown out of the Hogwarts attackers. It felt like a game of chess heading into the endgame, and then one side drops a few queens onto the board.

A more gratifying (albeit Hollywood serendipity style) ending would have had the final battle go to a stalemate, Voldemort injured but ultimately prevailing and being about to strike down one a battered and defeated Ben, and then have Luke arrive on the scene for some round two asskicking.
    As a final note, I've interacted with DM in the past and have always found him to be a classy guy. It's a meta-textual thing, granted, but a real one in fanfiction where the walls between writer and reader are thinner. I just seem to enjoy stories more when I like the author.

3/5

Last edited: May 22, 2015
  6. Nauro

Nauro Headmaster

I'm slightly afraid to read this. I remember it as a decentish guilty pleasure fic, bordering on almost recomendable - and perhaps even more.

This is because it's one of the fics I read overnight, meaning that my view of it was distorted - and I could have been filling in the bad bits with imagined scenes from the "how I would write this" process that runs whenever I'm reading anything.

I'll probably take a better look at a later date - when I read this in daylight, and have an opinion that's a drop more objective than simply having some fun while reading. For now, 3/5.

EDIT:
    Yeah, no 2/5 is a better mark for this. Hermione sleeping with Sirius, the way Luna is portrayed and sorting to Slytherin as a n example student is a bit too much for me.

Last edited: May 25, 2015