1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

The possibilities of HP/Bleach crossovers.

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Paravon, Aug 12, 2006.

1. Paravon

Paravon Seventh Year

I was wondering what you guys think of HP/Bleach crossovers. Do they work?
    Can they work? And how? The idea of the magic system from HP and the shinigami powers/bloodlines of Bleach won't leave me alone.

Also if anyone knew any good ones could you point me to them?

I have only found the one by The Itch.:(

Last edited: Aug 12, 2006
  2. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Not a fan of crossovers with anime/manga. Most things just wouldnt fit with Harry Potter. I havnt watched/read Bleach myself, so I wouldnt have a clue.

3. IndoGhost

IndoGhost Dark Lord

Best leave those two alone. They dont even have a point of connection to make them work in a fic.

4. Xenon

Xenon Professor

No, just no. If your going to write one paragraph in a fanfic as a nod to bleach, so people who follow that sort of thing get a kick out of it, I would say go ahead. but a full blown crossover. no. BAD MONKEY!

As Indo said there's no posible connection between the two without REALY going out on a limb with something like this, ie:

Summary: What if Harry Potter fell througth the veil trying to reach Sirus? Wandering alone through the 80th district of Rukongai, Harry searches for His Godfather. HPBleach Xover, OOTP

In this case it becomes more of a bleach fiction with a camio by Sirus and Harry, and whatever other charecters you wish to include. ZOMG HIS ZANPATO IS CALLED HEDWIG S!!111!! LOLZORZS! Dont mind the phinoex!!!!

no magic. cheap trick to gain fan appeal. and it will end up having no point what-so-ever.

next:

Summary: One night after hitting a little to much Maui Wowie(or insert "magical name") Harry awakens in a dream he can't escape! HPBleach X-over

The one night pipe-dream fic, which is really just a desparte cry for help.

Theres just no good way to go about it. Dont touch it, and dont bring it up again son.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2006
  5. Jheph

Jheph Groundskeeper

The two series have too much of a difference to crossover.

The main characters from both series operate in different part of the world (Japan and UK). Applying the hollow concept in HP can be possible, but adding ‘Shinigami’ (Death god) to the mix will cause problems; they are a bit too powerful.

Overall, a bad crossover. Too much conflicting concept to be a proper story.

6. Mercenary

Mercenary Snake Eater

There was this one piece that i read, it seemed to have been able to mesh both worlds well but I cant remember the name. Anyways, I think the only way that this crossover would really work is if it was, as others have suggested(points to above posts), if it is just a paragraph or so as a nod to Bleach or, at a stretch, a oneshot or so. Thats my opinion

7. Kiklo

Kiklo Seventh Year

No no no, leave them separate. If those two ideas do cross, then the wizarding world would be doomed for sure. Bleach's level of power far exceeds the Harry Potter world.

8. Khantael

Khantael First Year

I don't see how it'd work. Plus it'd probably end up having my personal pet-peeve in crossovers (using this crossover example, where Harry is randomly a shinigami)... I just can't see a connection. Maybe you could somehow connect the ghosts in Harry Potter to Hollows, but I don't see how it'd work at all.

When I watched the Bleach anime (haven't read the manga), I did find a crossover or two. Didn't like them much.

I don't think they fit together at all.

9. Teks

Teks Third Year

Simply no! Mainly because bleach will never end. They change their plot every time they see that its getting good rating on japanese TV. To me bleach has become like Pokemon, completly pointless (and plotless).
    Slowly becoming like dragonball Z, starts good... sure the fight scenes are good... but after the 4rth season you wonder wtf you're watching.

You might have better luck mixing HP with Speed Grapher, then again, anime and HP rarely mix right. Like mixing alcohol and Chlorine.

10. darkinferno9908

darkinferno9908 Second Year

..The moment that I see this I will personally start writing a Ginny/Scabbers/Pikachu fic. Please don't even THINK about that anymore, that's just... not right. That'd be like mixing Harry Potter and Tenchu. He suddenly becomes *gasp* A NINJA! :ph34r: like everyone else said, it's not possible to do right. Harry Potter and Naruto I can ALMOST see but it's drastically AU (I can see it because I've done it but that's another story)

Harry Potter/Bleach - stay far away from this. Don't touch this with a spork.

11. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

The reason I'm not a fan of Harry Potter corssovers with anime/manga is because most just dont fit well with it. I'm sure there are a few, but I've yet to see them.

12. Paravon

Paravon Seventh Year

Is it only me, or do the posters on this board have a post-traumatic stress level of hate for crossovers?

13. Xenon

Xenon Professor

Crossover's happen to be one of my favorite genre's, and while I was still getting my sea legs, I wrote a few. These two though, they just wouldn't work well together. If I searched, I could probably find a few memebers that liked crossovers more than the next person. But all storys can't be Heinlen-esk pantheistic solipsism's, and the majority are poorly written. And seeing as how were a forum dedecated to quality.... its not that hard to do the math. Its not that everyone here doesen't like crossovers... we just hate the bad ones with a vengence.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2006
  14. Paravon

Paravon Seventh Year

I understand. I have read horrible crossovers.:wall:

15. Khantael

Khantael First Year

I quite like crossovers - I read them a lot, but about 95% that I've read are appalling. They also recycle the same odd, stupid plotpoints... which make me want to write crossovers purely so they don't follow the exact same plot that doesn't make any more sense however much it's repeated. (My current 'worst crossover idea ever' are Danny Phantom/Harry Potter crossovers where some random prophecy occurs always referring to the 'halfa'. It doesn't even make sense.)

Still, using that as an example, at least they both have ghosts, which is a really miniscule link (though they react really differently...). Bleach and Harry Potter don't even have anything like that, though.

16. Kiklo

Kiklo Seventh Year

Hmmmmmm, Harry as a..........ninja. That would be pretty interesting :D

17. Nobody

Nobody Backtraced

If it's done very, very, very, very, very well, I'd read it. Anything less than perfect would be an insult to the great stories that are Harry Potter and Bleach. Like others said before, it'd be tough to balance the power between Seiteirei (I think it's called that, the Court of Pure Souls) and the Wizarding World without severely limiting the Shinigami or making the Wizards overpowered. So, go for it if you think you can do it.

18. Heleor

Heleor EsperJones DLP Supporter

Three words following this blurb:

Voldemort the Hollow.

19. MadEyes

MadEyes Seventh Year

I really don’t see a way to mix both Harry Potter and Bleach successfully, although I’m sure someone will try. True, I’m one of those psychos that’s always looking for a good X-over, but the worlds and fandom’s that usually mix the best are those who have similar concepts, or where the authors have such good use of their creativity that they are able to twist and contort one of the worlds and its characters to fit the other.

In any case, a good foothold needs to be established between worlds before you can develop anything. I mean, Naruto and Bleach could be crossed just because of the Shinigami reference, but I would personally stick to crossing HP with something that at least has a hint of magic or some similar type of energy in use.

Still, if anyone finds someone who’s pulled this X-over off, let me know and ill be sure to read it.

20. Lutris

Lutris Jarl Dovahkiin DLP Supporter

I've read one before. Surprisingly, it worked rather well. But that was probably because a) It didn't have anything at all to do with Harry Potter at all except for the name, and b) It didn't have much crossing over at any time anyway.

It was an interesting read, but the only thing that made it a crossover was the presence of a black haired, green eyed boy named Harry Potter. Nothing else. More a self insertion than anything, but if any of you are interested, i'm sure i could find it...