1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Inventor Harry Invention Ideas?

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Inexistence, Aug 12, 2006.

1. Inexistence

Inexistence Seventh Year

If you read a fanfic where Harry or someone else was an inventor, what type of inventions would you like to see?

I've thought of a few.

There's the cooking watch.

It is a watch with no time or anything on it. The face is simply gray. There is a shrunken wand on one side and a metal button on the other. The wand is set to fire off a flame charm when it receives a magical jolt. There is some shrunken firewood inside the watch which can be reused over and over. When the charm is activated, the plate heats up as it is a conductor of heat.

Every 20 minutes the flame will need to be renewed as the magic the wand is using runs out, cancelling the flame charm.

To stop it before refreshing the charm, the fore-finger must press against the wand and the metal button must be touching the thumb. A powerful jolt of elctricity will be sent through the presser's body and into the wand, cancelling the charm.

I see this as happening because I think of magic and electricity as opposites, they both negate the other. The reason that people believe that electricity doesn't work around magic is because magic surrounds everything around where it has been performed, so the electrical charge must be more powerful.

I added the shock as I thought it would make a flaw in the watch, stopping it from seeming perfect from using magic.

The other thing that I thought of is what I call a wand instructor.

It is like a fingerless glove with a donut on the arm end. When the incantation is said into a microphone the instructor looks in its database for that incantation and retrieves the wand movement. The glove then bends and twists in the correct movement, the incantation playing back from the programmer's recording of it. There is a knob on it that allows you to select which speed the wand movement is performed at.

There is a manual that comes with it that tells you what spells have what maximum speeds because if a wand movement is too long and/or complicated you shouldn't use the spell at a higher speed than in the manual.

Eventually this should train you how to do the wand movements quickly and correctly. This would be used to train first year students how to do spells.

Any you guys can think of and you don't need to put in as much detail as I did.

2. The Sinner

The Sinner Looked into the void

Somewhere between the heretic and Un'aria
    Magical toilet paper. Its so tedious to whip my own a$$.

3. Exotria

Exotria Squib

Magical toilet paper? Sounds like a variant of Ollivander's tape measures...

4. Mercenary

Mercenary Snake Eater

A glove that stores a certain amount of charges of a certain spell(s). But not to many spells. Maybe 1-2.

Im not sure wether your fic is going to humorous, first year, etc... so thats what I have for you

5. Olfrik

Olfrik Seventh Year

Thinking from the business end, for an inventor that not only invents for inventing itself but to make money I would have him invent magical portraits that play soap operas and then sell it to the house wifes for a monthly fee. They can even implement primary school lessons or manuals to construct/repair something.

6. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Magical EMP.

Instead of messing with electronics, it could make a wizard/witch hit by it unable to use magic for a certain period of time, or until they are healed of whatever is effecting their magic. Not exactly sure how it would all work, but you get the idea.

It would be great for taking down a large group of Death Eaters or whatever. Might even take down wards if triggered inside their protection. Meh... I just came up with that in a few seconds. Probably sucks.

7. The Dark Monarch

The Dark Monarch Backtraced

That sounds really good like a grenade or something.

8. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Or a larger bomb. I could see someone on the inside(Hogwarts) getting one in and setting it off for the Death Eaters to invade.

9. MrINBN

MrINBN Unspeakable

I wonder if a normal EMP blast would work against magic like magic does against electronics? Hmmm...

What about making electronics work off magic? For instance, modifying the battery contacts on a CD player to make it run off the ambient magic in Hogwarts? Or a wizard/witch could just hold their fingers to it and have it run off their own magic. I think it's very plausible, seeing as how magic can manifest itself in other forms of energy (flame, ice, etc...).

10. Inexistence

Inexistence Seventh Year

Thanks guys.

I'll think about the glove, which seems really cool, and the portraits, which I'm not sure of as I don't imagine Harry as arty.

I'm not sure how magical EMP could make someone hit by it drained of magic. Magic getting rid of magic?

I'm trying to think of a plausible way to make electricity run, according to my theory in the Canon Harry section.

I think that if they electricity is super-charged, powerful enough to withstand the magic trying to stop it, then it may work. So either a hell of a lot of strong batteries or one small and powerful battery.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

11. Olfrik

Olfrik Seventh Year

There is a lot more involved in electronic supplies like a cd-player or a laptop than just batteries. Think only about the storage devices, how should they hold any binary information? How should signals travel? If you're going for the easy way it would be believable to make the device work in a shielded environment. Otherwise you'd have to reinvent the inner workings of the device. like for every electronic function like information storage or signaling you would place enchantments and charms. The CPU could be some semiintelligent entity and the interface connected with runes.

12. Xantam

Xantam Denarii Host

Perhaps the EMP would simply over power the wand causing it to not work.

A magical virus for wards.

13. Wasteland

Wasteland Second Year

But what would happen if a large EMP force hit a large magic force, would they simply cancel each other, would they explode. I mean what would happen if you sent a large EMP pulse at the wards around hogwarts?

14. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Doesnt have to get rid of it. It could suppress it. Kinda like a virus. Infects it and either shuts it off, or suppresses it. It's still there, but they cant use it because they are 'infected'. Meh...

15. Heleor

Heleor EsperJones DLP Supporter

I'm getting a Matrix imagery here. You know, when neo sends the EMP, killing the sentinel and collapsing himself?

Or, as another idea, *boom*.

16. Mercenary

Mercenary Snake Eater

Magical Emp I would send out a wave(pulse whatever) of magic that would either analyze the victim(s)'s magic signature, configure its own frequency to interfere with the recipeint's own magic. I'm basing this off the theory that magic has its own frequency.

17. Haunted Warrior

Haunted Warrior Fifth Year

Well, correct me if i'm wrong, doesn't a magnetic feild wipe a video clean? If i'm right, how about a magical feild which would wipe a wands memeory? So if it came under the effects of the prio incantectem (sp?) right after being hit with the feild, it would show no spells whatever.

And how about a weapon of some sort? If they discover how to convert other forms energy into magic, and then focus it onto a certain and launch the beam of magic to a specific place it could cause immense damage. In other words, a magical Ion Cannon. For those who haven't played C&C, the Ion Cannon is a satillete that fires a large beam of Ionic energy. I might have tio use that in my crossover actually.

18. MrINBN

MrINBN Unspeakable

A magical Ion Cannon? Good luck explaining that one. Wizards don't even believe in airplanes, let alone a satellite. Though it would be rather interesting.

19. Haunted Warrior

Haunted Warrior Fifth Year

I wouldn't be so sure about the ones that grew up in the muggle world. I mean, one coould just get fed up and decide to make an attemp at an Ion Cannon! So simple, yet very interesting if I do say so myself

20. MrINBN

MrINBN Unspeakable

Right, simple. That's not paying attention to the fact that the nearest source of power (in this case magic) is hundreds of miles away. The regular CnC Ion Cannon gets power from solar cells. I don't think a magical solar cell would work. You'd probably lose about half the energy collected as heat and the other half would be reduced by half again because converting electricity to magic is probably very energy inefficient.

And that's not even going close to how you would hide it from NASA and the various other space programs. And how you'd have to memory charm basically an entire country. A giant blue beam of death falling from the sky would more than likely attract just a LITTLE bit of attention.