1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Hope's Calling by Night Hawk 97 - T - HP/Dragon Age

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by TheWiseTomato, Sep 3, 2015.

1. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Title: Hope's Calling
    Author: Night Hawk 97
    Rating: T
    Genre: Adventure/Drama
    DLP-Category: The Alternates
    Chapters: 15
    Words: 77,300
    Updated: Aug 4, 2015
    Published: Jan 7, 2014

Summary:
    The world has tried to break Harry before. Some days, at his most lucid, he wonders if it succeeded. Either way, he doesn't intend to take it lying down, but from Templars to demons, the trouble keeps coming. Oh and the world might be ending, although that, for once, is someone else's problem.

Link: Hope's Calling

This is a good HP/Dragon Age fic. Comes with grammar and punctuation included. Also has a sequel, although the sequel is of a different writing style.

Edit by Minion, October 3, 2015
    Moved out of the Almost Recced Thread.
    To be moved out of For Review October 24.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2015
  2. Dark Minion

Dark Minion Bright Henchman DLP Supporter Retired Staff

3. SmileOfTheKill

SmileOfTheKill Magical Amber

It's.. ughhhhhh. Besdies the stuff that Taure cares more about than I do, such as magic core refilling, muggles>wizards at everything, other wonky stuff such as it is written in a pretend book, and all of that.

The issue is I don't care about this story. Harry comes off as strange, but not in a good way. More of why he was written that way that is unconnected. I don't understand half the logic the author uses. The worst example of when Harry talks about the government he made. It ended up being more corrupted and terrible than anything Harry ever fought and his dead friends call him out on this. Wut? Also slash vibes all over this story.

Then the story itself is some adventure thing that feels right at home with being a generic RPG fantasy thing.

4. darkklight

darkklight Squib

I liked the story overall, but would have liked more on the history of what made Harry the way he is. And why he couldn't just use magic to either disappear/not get caught/ or kick ass. More on his magic development may also have given the story a bit of a boost. Overall, 3/5.

5. najex

najex First Year

High Score:
    my favorite universes for fanfiction are.
    naruto
    harry potter
    dragon age
    Fate stay night
    So as you can imagine I am immediately partial to this.

I liked this story a lot but you need to be a big fan of dragon age to appreciate it.

4/5

6. Lysianda

Lysianda Squib

High Score:
    This is a good and well written story. It has issues, as a whole it owes more to the story-telling style of Dragon Age and so it suffers from the shallow characterisation of a computer game.

On the otherhand if you want a relatively lighthearted, quick read which combines Harry Potter and Dragon Age well then this is it. Furthermore, it avoids the common failing of crossover stories and avoids making characters overpowered simply by their existence in another world.

3.5 out of 5.