1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

I challenge..

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by darksoul, Aug 21, 2006.

1. darksoul

darksoul First Year

I challenge someone to make a crossover with Harry Potter and Holes, i just had that idea, i have no clue if anyone made a crossover with that yet.. Now it might sound stupid, but if done right, it could be a awsome story, just do it before harry gets his letter, lets say hes 10 at the time, and he meets up with stan at the camp.

Rules

Harry MUST be 10 years old, it would go well with the story, this way he is smart enough to think right, and still young enough to be underestimated.

Harry has to meet up with stan in this story, i was thinking right after he makes friends with zero, but its up to you in the end.

If the story does get long enough, i dont want harry going to hogwarts, i want this to be something.. new, let him learn on his own, dont let hogwarts find him.

Harry leaves his aunt and uncles house, i dont care how this is done, i want him living on his own for a good 3 years.

Well thats all i can think of, i just wanted some ground rules.

Anyway, how this is done, so long as it follows the rules up there i dont really care, i just want to be credited for the idea of the story.

For those of you who think a HP crossover with holes wont be any good, well, i think it will be, yeah, i agree, if you include magic with holes it might not be as good, thats why i dont want harry knowing of magic until well into the story.

Tell me what you think of the idea.

(edit, can someone please move this topic to the Challenges section? i missed that..)

Last edited: Aug 21, 2006
  2. se7en

se7en Professor

Shouldn't this go into the challenge section?

And I wouldn't really know what kind of plot would be going down while hes digging holes. Sure he could find the chest with a whole buch of bonds, but he's rich already. I don't know where this would end up.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2006
  3. darksoul

darksoul First Year

"(edit, can someone please move this topic to the Challenges section? i missed that..)"

and im not even thinking about the chest, if they do find it, it will be stans anyway and hes only going to share it with stan and zero..

No, what i like is the plot of harry going to camp greenlake, holes has always been one of my other fav storys over harry potter, i can see holes and harry potter mixing just right, and at other times i can see them destroy each other, its why you have to get the plot just right before starting the story..

4. The Dark Monarch

The Dark Monarch Backtraced

How does Harry get to America?

5. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The two universes have the potential to merge certainly. However, unless you simply use Holes as a stepping stone to having Harry eitehr 1) dig up a box of magical books, 2) accidentally discover is power by using it to dig his hole accidentally, or 3) meet some wierd wee hermit magician guy who will teach him how to use his power. About Harry living on his own for 3 years, even te americans aren't that incompetant when it comes to children. A ten to thirteen year old, with a criminal record is going to be in the system somehow.

Two other things, 1) how would he get to america, and 2) what did he do to end up at Camp Greenlake?

6. darksoul

darksoul First Year

Two other things, 1) how would he get to america, and 2) what did he do to end up at Camp Greenlake?

you know.. i never thought of that, as this is a challange ill leave most of this up to whoever wrights the story, i have no clue how 1) will play out, for number two, i was thinking he was caught stealing food, or something like that, and since they didint have him in the system he was given the choice of going to the camp or a orphanage, since he had been told of all the nasty things that happened at the orphanage, he took the camp.

Oh, about the part "americans arent that incompetant"

True, they aren't, but if they dont know hes missing in the first place, why would they look for him? and you have to remember he is a wizard, even if he doesnt know it, which means he hid himself with magic without knowing.

As for how he will find out about his magical power, i was thinking when stan and zero run for it, someone from part of the other camp starts saying how stuiped they were and a lot of other crap, and harry, having almost no freinds accept for stan and zero, got pissed and his magic threw him into the wall.

for the magical books, why? not every wizard needs books to learn magic, well its true that everyone in britan needed a wand and books.. they never really went into detail about other magical schools such as in the united states, its true that they say that you need a wand.. but for all we know it might just be they dont know any better.

I was actually thinking of harry learning on his own, how to use his magic, learning from fantasy books, like a few other storys do, but i think that would be a good place to at least start.

7. sirius009

sirius009 Minister of Magic

Maybe it could be a major AU where Voldy was never defeated the first time around and Voldy takes over magical Britain. After he takes control of Britain Voldy could have some extradition treaty with the U.S. were Voldy sends all of the mudbloods to live in an American concentration camp type thing, Camp Green Lake. The camp could act as a boot camp type of school for British mudbloods where they have to dig holes w/o magic. While digging a hole Harry could come across some ancient Native American magical artifacts/books or something and these help him reach magical potential or something like that. Then Harry could continue his studies, continue digging, and continue to find more magical aftifacts. These artifacts could help him seek his revenge on Voldy.

8. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    That bit about how you think the US schools don't use wands is such a typical bad author statement, I shoudl qualify, bad american author statement, who thinks that because its america it would be superior.

So many authors seem to think this. If truth be told, and logic were used, the European schools would be far superior to the american ones, because they would have vast stores of knowledge, built up over the ages, not to mention, they have portraits of people who lived 100's and even thousands of years ago hanging around the place, just begging to be asked questions. They are also more likely to have access to ghosts from long ago. I mean, what self respecting medieval wizarding ghost is going to go to America, the land of the new, instead of staying in the place where all the history is.

So, really, if it doesn't happen in Europe (note Im not saying Britain, but Europe) then it is exceedingly unlikely it will happen in America. Possibly places like the Caribean and Africa and such like have different styles of magic, vaudun, and ritual stuff that doesn't need a wand, but nothign like the HP magic.

I do like killginny009's idea o finding Native American artifacts or books.

9. sirius009

sirius009 Minister of Magic

Hold on a second. Your from Scotland so of course you will think that GBR is magically superior, and it might be, but who's to say that the "new world" has no magical history. I mean, if you think in HP logic the only way for native americans to survive is through some sort of magic, so if Harry were to look back at Native American history he could probable learn some pretty cool things. Just look at JBern's idea of Animage in "Bungle in the Jungle."

10. se7en

se7en Professor

Or you could have it in Antartica. Not many people know of it's status down there. So with magic, people only see penguins and iceburgs.

11. darksoul

darksoul First Year

"for the magical books, why? not every wizard needs books to learn magic, well its true that everyone in britan needed a wand and books.. they never really went into detail about other magical schools such as in the united states, its true that they say that you need a wand.. but for all we know it might just be they dont know any better.

I was actually thinking of harry learning on his own, how to use his magic, learning from fantasy books, like a few other storys do, but i think that would be a good place to at least start."

I never said they didint use a wand, i said they might not need it, as in they might have wandless magic mastered also.

"
    So many authors seem to think this. If truth be told, and logic were used, the European schools would be far superior to the american ones, because they would have vast stores of knowledge, built up over the ages, not to mention, they have portraits of people who lived 100's and even thousands of years ago hanging around the place, just begging to be asked questions. They are also more likely to have access to ghosts from long ago. I mean, what self respecting medieval wizarding ghost is going to go to America, the land of the new, instead of staying in the place where all the history is."

um.. no, i dont think so, in the books it makes out European schools to keep to themselfs, the magical world of britan, well they dont want to make new spells anymore, also they dont let muggleborns do anything, so they go back to the muggle world.. whos to say the same thing happens in the usa? muggleborns and wizards might have gotten together to learn from each other.

Also united states schools would be beter then britan, and im not trying to be rude, they would have had to learn a lot of new crap when they left britan, to survive, then they would have kept learning over time, unlike britan, britan keeps to themselfs and keeps marrying to the same familys that they call "pure bloods" whos to say the same happens in the united states? the blood from muggles and wizards mixing so much might have created a more powerful wizard.