1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Genius Sensei by AlexDnD - T - Naruto

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Ashton Knight, Nov 23, 2015.

1. Ashton Knight

Ashton Knight Disappeared DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Title: Genius Sensei
    Author: AlexDnD
    Rating: T
    Genre: Drama
    Library Category: Other Fandoms - Naruto
    Pairings:
    Summary: What if Kakashi had recovered from his deep depression? What if he turned out to be a true genius as a sensei? Watch as team 7 develops into a truly capable shinobi team!
    Link: Click Me!

I'm not going to lie to you; the summary of this story is terrible. As is the first chapter but since it's a Prologue I'm going to let it slide.

I know the plot seems a little cliché but the author somehow manages to make it work. While most (of the good) writers hesitate to make their charactes more powerful, AlexDnD doesn't. The growth in power is also quite realistic since there is no one moment in which a character becomes powerful; rather it is a gradual process. While one may argue that this would result in little to no conflict, it actually does the opposite since
    Iwa, upon seeing how strong Naruto and his team are immediately send a strike force after them on their way back from the Chunin Exams. This is essentially what causes the Fourth Shinobi War and all the Elemental Nations are eventually dragged in.
    This conflict is the backbone of the story as you get a look into the minds of all the different Kages and why each decision is made. Unfortunately, this conflict doesn't start until Chapter 28 (29 if you include the Prologue) but the parts before that are, at worst a Guilty Pleasure and at best an enjoyable experience.

Another strong point of this story is the chemistry between the members of Team 7. In most Team 7 stories, Sakura loses her fangiril tendencies, Sasuke suddenly decides that caring about people isn't a weakness and Naruto stops shouting out loud. In this story their change is gradual and realistic (And kind of artificial due to how much Kakashi manipulated things) and they still retain most of the characteristics that make them who they are.

In canon, their personalities clashed horribly with each others but in this story (Apart from the beginning which is intentional) the team's personalities manage to play off each other quite well.

This story is not Naruto Centric - It's Team 7 Centric. You could probably even make an argument for it being Kakashi Centric.

As for pairings, Naruto is paired with
    Sakura
    but it doesn't even start to happen until Chapter 46. And by that I mean that's when the build up starts, not when they actually start dating. For those that aren't a fan of the pairing (You heathens) there's only a few mentions of it and it doesn't interfere with the story at all.

As for spelling, punctuation and grammar, it's all fairly average but there is a steady improvement.

This story, I would rate as 4/5, the only reason that it's not a 5/5 is becuae of the prologue and because the main conflict doesn't happen until Chapter 28/29.

Edit: Changed title to include 'Naruto' and added Naruto post icon. -Palindrome

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2015
  2. newageofpower

newageofpower Professor DLP Supporter

Wrong subforum, I believe.

3. Clerith

Clerith Ahegao Emperor ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Not even canon anymore, bitch.

I glanced through the fic. As in skimmed a lot of chapters and fully read a few. And let me tell you, when reading through a single chapter two thirds through the fic and you have this constant disappointed, vaguely bad feeling and frown in disgust three times, it's not good.

Barely 3/5 plot, characters and writing. Making Team 7 into a competent team and invidivually capable shinobi is pretty much the only good thing about this fic. The writing is plain, lazy, and written in that easy bad anime cliches style. I saw an entire sentence in Japanese, English translations after Japanese words, typos with simple stuff like suffixes.

Scenes like most of Naruto's interactions, Sasuke's
    wedding
    , various people's thoughs, it was just bad and cringey. Imagine seeing the Naruto world through the dull eyes of a plain, average fanfiction author, and you get this fic.

4. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I tried it a while ago and it was bad, and it strung me along for a while before I quit, where I thought it could get better but never did.

It's the classical badfic. It keeps most of the characters and setting the same, drastically changes one person, in this case Kakashi and then has that character lecture others constantly on how shitty or insufficient they are, even though you know canon Kakashi had his hangups that the author just magicked away.

For example, Kakashi interferes in Kurenai's team, for their own good, of course, and then has he gall to lecture Kurenai that she shouldn't feel bad about it, because Kakashi knows better, ignoring the massive hypocrisy. If Kurenai had meddled in his team, this Kakashi would have thrown the worlds biggest bitchfest, no matter how much it was "for their own good".

It's things like these that add up again and again. Then you have the constant potshots at Tsunade, and while I don't need her to be the Hokage in every fic, I do like it when she isn't bashed.

And yes, Iwa does send out a strike force against them at some point, they still have a massive hate boner for Minato and everything that even shares a bit of a resemblance to him. You might like it if you like a handful of people curbstomping a massively superior force, as in, Team 7 and 3-4 others, mostly Team 7 though, against 100 Iwa Jounin and Chunin.
    Team 7 does get super strong in like a few months, that they are able to fight on the level of Jounin, because they trained super hard, you see.

And the stuff Clerith said.

So, yeah, you will hate Kakashi, Team 7 is bland and OP, they constantly show up everyone else, the writing itself is dull and the take on almost every other character is...subpar.

2/5, but only because it's still readable to some degree if you like this type of fics.

5. Ayreon

Ayreon Unspeakable DLP Supporter

I saw this story before, but couldn't get through the start, because the writing was just bad.

So now that I know that the start is the worst thing, I tried to get through it again, but chapter 1 is just so horrible. All my bad-fanfic-alarms start blaring. Naruto is acting in an overdrawn way and Kakashi punches him in the stomach. What? This isn't even remotely Kakashi anymore.
    I mean, there are other good fics that contain corporal punishment, but in this instance it happens without any setup. It's so jarring.

I skimmed a couple of future chapters to see if it improves, but the writing was just as bland, even if not quite as bad as at the start.

Maybe it has some hidden strengths, but I don't have the fortitude to stick with this story to discover them.

2/5 from me.