1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Wii~Nintendo

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Kai Shek, Sep 9, 2006.

1. Kai Shek

Kai Shek Supreme Mugwump

I feel a little behind times when I notice the date on this demo... May 9th, and I hadn't seen it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qfhikLalek&mode=related&search=

At first I thought it looked kind of corny, getting into the game so intenesly, but the more I watched, the more fascinated I became. Technology has come so far, being able to create this. I expect glitches, and have my doubts with how much action you will need to put on the controller, but all in all, it seems like a cool idea.

What about you guys?

P.S As the demo is pretty old, I tried using the search in various ways but couldn't find any post with Wii included. So, if I have made a mistake, please just delete the thread for me, and do me a favor...derep me...so I can have a reason to try to learn how to use the decent search feature on this site.

2. li.u

li.u Fourth Year

i see many accidents coming where people hit each other with the controller when swinging them around like maniacs...other than that it looks fine to me and surely is a lot of fun once you get used to this kind of gaming (the 1. person shooter with the sword fighting at the end looked great) . can't stand nintendo though...hate the majority of games for their consoles...i mean how many games can you possibly create that revolve around mario & co?!

Last edited: Sep 9, 2006
  3. Stalicon

Stalicon High Inquisitor

Yay its a Wii Revolution!

I've been waiting for this for a while. Should be coming out soon if I'm not mistaken...

Last edited: Sep 9, 2006
  4. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

meh it looks like most gamers won't want to be sitting there looking retarded swinging around controllers trying to play games that STILL look like they're designed for fucking 5 year olds.

I'm sure kids will like the games, but at the cost of today's hardware and games, lil Timmy buying a few games to look at the shiny stuff in them aint gonna make Nintendo the money it needs. Not to mention I would love to see how long those controllers would last in the hands of a kid the age that would enjoy playing the sort of games Nintendo is looking at now.

I can picture the kids now literally sword fighting with the controllers, or accidentally dropping them constantly, or go to reel in a fish forcibly, and wind up throwing the controller across the room breaking it.

Not to mention the learning curve trying to teach a person how to play it will be bad enough for an adult, much less a kid. I'm wagering Nintendo going the way of Sega after this console underperforms.

Nintendo was king with the Super NES due to companies like Rare and especially Square. The companies that are still with Nintendo from the N64 and more recent days, seem to want to just make shitty filler games, while everyone else is out playing the actual fun stuff online with their friends.

5. mcatrage

mcatrage Raptured to Hell

I'm really on the fence with the Wii, not going to lie there are some fun so called kiddie games but then again there are also like a million shitty ones.

The controller is become a gimmick i feel, and am i the only one that doesn't want to exercise while playing a video game. I want to be able to sit down and just play, not have to swing my arm around and be standing i think.

Right now i think xbox 360 is winning by far and will probally keep a good percentage vs the PS3, but in the end it'll still be 2nd place because playstation has a huge userbase that will buy anything it makes.

6. Amerision

Amerision Galactic Sheep Emperor DLP Supporter

I'd love to play a Star Wars game where you can control the light saber in real time by moving the controller in space.

Or a HP game where you can control the wand with the spatial controller.

O_O

7. Xenon

Xenon Professor

One acronym. DDR. It's not like you can look any more retarted. And it was a hit, sales wise.

While I agree that there is a high potential for this console to flop I still don't think Nintendo is out of the running yet. At the very least they dominate the handhelds, with a larger selection of games then Sony's PSP and still besting them sales wise last I remember.

... Red Steel for the Wii is hardly a kiddie game. Besides all the developers shitting their pants @ Wii there's bound to be more diversity in games.

I don't remember seeing anything about having to stand up. And you are aware there is a 'cradle' atachment that makes it act like every other standard controler right? meh, to each his own.

Personaly I like the concept of their controler. I mean, I have pretty fast hands. The fact that it would add to my skill in a game is a plus for me. The fact that the sytems the cheapest of the Next Gen consles is also a plus. Graphics? bah, I was happy with the SNES. Anything thats not painfull to look at is okay by me.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2006
  8. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

DDr was a hit indeed. However, it was a craze that caught on, and wasn't as huge as say, Pokemon or Legend of Zelda or something, it was just one of those odd things that catches on every so often.

Nintendo has the handheld market right now due to a few things, the cost of the PSP, and name recognition of the Gameboy. They won't hold onto the crown if Sony drops the PSP to under 100$.

I'll happily admit there are some kiddie games that are fun, I enjoy playing games with my kids. I more then anyone would love to see Nintendo come out ahead and make a come back. I was a huge fanboy, and Mario bros. made me a video game whore.

Swinging the controller as a lightsabe would indeed kick ass I'll give you that.

9. Mech Angel.V.2.

Mech Angel.V.2. Second Year

I am scowling at the idea of fighting darth vader on a Wii. I can see him kicking my ass. Alot. Can you imagine that? Being sweaty from jerking your hands so much, eyes glued to the screen, trying to fight Count Dooku? Or worse, taking care of 4-arms/ General Greivous. Ive always wanted to be in a sword fight. I think trying to block Grevious would be my workout for the day.

10. Dark Lord Rostam

Dark Lord Rostam Button La Famiglia Midknight

In that thing you call a closet. Better watch out,
    Heh.

Anyways, I can just imagine one kid getting to enthuiastic or frustrated and swinging his arms hitting someone.

11. Kai Shek

Kai Shek Supreme Mugwump

I can see it now...

Wii: the number one reason for an increase in school violence. It will be banned from a number of places in no time.

12. Mech Angel.V.2.

Mech Angel.V.2. Second Year

You know, I was expecting one of you to make a dirty joke. Bah. Anywhoo, that demo was on G4 tech Tv wasnt it?

Jerking your Wii.... Ewww!

Im getting the next Zelda game because I refuse to believe that nintendo has really made the last game look like my little brothers coloring pages. Anyone else thinking of hand to hand fighting?

13. Kiklo

Kiklo Seventh Year

Oh god...you perves.

I actually don't see Nintendo going out of business, well definitely not yet. I understand that the graphics aren't up to PS3 or Xbox 3's levels, but boy are those games fun to play. I don't know, I just can't see Nintendo going OOB...:(

14. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess? Because that game looks fucking awesome. Its going to pwnt so bad.

I was a little shocked at that weird Zelda game too that looked like a childs coloring book. Apparently, the game play is really good, even if it looks... weird.

Anyway, I think Zelda got greatest series of all time, or someshit.

15. chronic dragon

chronic dragon Seventh Year DLP Supporter

Wind Waker was really good despite they used cell shading. But i'm for sure getting a wii just for Twilight Princess and the new Super Smash Bros.

16. Kiklo

Kiklo Seventh Year

Definitely! I think this was the first game I played, way back on Super Nintendo. It was awesome, ever since then I was hooked and played most of the games. I know I'm going to buy Wii, for Zelda.

17. Vascudo

Vascudo First Year

I'm definetly getting a Wii,don't care much for the name though.
    As for the remark that Nintendo is just for kids,play REmake,
    and tell me that again.

18. Mercenary

Mercenary Snake Eater

I wouldnt say Wii is for kids, its just that Nitendo has been more of the family/kiddie like games company but who knows? With this new controller and tech, they could do the switcharoo. I never got into Zelda seemed a bit too complicated for me. Probably cause I started in the beginning and i was what? 7 at the time? Starfox for the SNES, I played reasonably well.

19. Mage

Mage Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

looks interesting, i would love to see this be a hit, but im sceptical about how good a sword fight or lightsaber fight you could have with those. I think it would be amazingly hard to judge where the person was going to swing at you and react well enough while not having it come at you directly but rather a charecter on the t.v. I belive that the first good fighting game like this will be a virtual sim which is a ways off but this is the first step towards it.

20. Masked Critic

Masked Critic Backtraced

I think that the Wii is going to be the biggest seller this time. I say this not out of fanboyism, although I am a Nintendo fanboy, but rather because it is the most affordable system. In addition, gamefaqs has done multiple polls asking which system the visitors to said site want most, and each time the Wii has won, one time by more than double the runner up, I believe.

If Nintendo ever goes out of business, that will basically mean the death of console gaming innovation. Look at the Xbox 360: It's a beefed up version of the Xbox. PS3 is just the PS2 on steroids, even the controller is identical. And the PSP was a 4 hours per use, beefed up, and tiny PS1.